harmc0re

Fix the time difference between osx86 and Windows in multiboot setups.

41 posts in this topic

I just converted my work PC into a dual-boot Win7 and ML machine  :dev:.  The script and launchdaemon solved my annoying time difference.

Thanks harm! 

You are welcome!

If you read through the comments you may have noticed that some people are sceptical on this approach.

That's why I'm glad to hear other people prefering this method.

I wrote this guide two years ago and I still stand strong behind my statement that this is the best possible fix.

OS X causes the issue, and it should be fixed in OS X as well.

Thanks for your reply, and congrats on the dual-boot setup.

Advertisement

Thanks for the guide.  I have a laptop with 2 hard drives one with Win7 and the other with Lion.  Till I saw your guide I thought I was just going to live with changing the time in Windows if I wanted a Hackintosh drive.

It works great.

What about this: don't write any fancy scripts or make any changes with OSX.

Simply set up the Windows internet time sync function to run, whenever the system boots into Windows.

Then: both operating systems can be set to the correct local time zone, and both OSX & Windows onscreen clocks show the correct local time.

I've got my Windows install configured to get time from the internet, but it doesn't automatically correct the clock when I boot into it.  Given that my PC might be used for many things besides running Windows and osx86, I opted to fix it using this script.  Using a registry edit in Windows is easier, but I prefer to bring OS X in line with the rest of the OS world.

Got this working in 10.10/Win7 - thanks!

How did you do that? I can't make it work with 10.10.1. The thing is that everytime I have turn forward the time in BIOS to make time correct in Windows 7 or Debian Linux 7.

Actually, this solution has strange behavior, with some installation of OSX it works, with another doesn't work(on the same computer).

This worked perfectly on vanilla El Capitan! Thanks so much!

I have BootCamp. There is one service named "AppleTimeSrv". This service is to run C:\Windows\system32\AppleTimeSrv.exe and includes the description "Maintains time and date when switching between Mac OS X and Windows".

Hi,

Do I copy/paste this 2 lines to terminal after downloading the .sh?

sudo chmod +x fix_time_osx.sh
./fix_time_osx.sh

Thanks

report back:  This is only working if you use Sierra back and forward with Windows.,  If you don't use Sierra for "say' a week and only use Windows, your Windows time will be incorrect. To fix this issue, you need to login to Sierra then restart and your Windows time will be corrected.

So, I think the best way is regedit in Windows.  Time will always be corrected even if U don't use Sierra for a long time. 

report back:  This is only working if you use Sierra back and forward with Windows.,  If you don't use Sierra for "say' a week and only use Windows, your Windows time will be incorrect. To fix this issue, you need to login to Sierra then restart and your Windows time will be corrected.

So, I think the best way is regedit in Windows.  Time will always be corrected even if U don't use Sierra for a long time. 

Hey loganMac, thanks for reporting this.

I haven't been able to test this on Sierra, but I don't understand what you're saying.

Your Windows time will be correct for a few days, but after a week, it will be incorrect?

Are you sure the timezone in Windows is set correctly? Maybe Windows' internet time synchronisation kicks in after a week,

and sets the time to the wrong value?