crazyjuice

Asus 1201N Installation and support

1,051 posts in this topic

Nope - the way i understand it, and i am super new to playing on SSD, is fragging occurs on an HDD because its all radial. Defragging optimizes the drive from the perspective of spinning. SSD OTOH is, well it doesn't spin, so it doesn't matter if a bit of file is near the center of the disc and another bit of the same file is on the rim because its all a relatively equidistant matrix. Its like RAM.

thanks for quick respond.

what about indexing and caching ?

Advertisement

After 3 days of Chameleon Install, I dont know what to do...

Bootmaker always without problems done, Lion install like a charm, but when I have to Chameleon install, everything went wrong, it doesnt matter which way or how I want to install.

I cannot write the boot sector, always boot0 GPT error.

Hnvijay wrote me a step by step manual install, I got no error messages during manual boot0 boot1h install, everything goes ok, but at the end:

boot0 GPT

boot0 test

boot0 test

boot0 GPT

boot0 test

boot0 test

boot0 error

and this thing started when I changed ma 250GB HD to a 500GB WD Blue Scorpion HD.

I still had my Lion on my 250GB HD, and I can boot from this HD with usb, I try now a standard Bootmaker install with 2gb ram and chameleon r914 but it is like a miracle, everything goes in a best way, no errors, but restart, and there's no boot file.

The new Chameleon Wizard doesnt included r1203 only bigger versions, the old one always crashed for me.

I try to find the first one and download r1203, not from a selected folder install, fog me like these files somehow didnt do anything.

I did the Terminal install also several times (thanks again Hnvijay for your patience), but I cannot write these boot files to the first sectors.

Has anyone maybe also Chameleon problems?

Or any suggestions ?

I really love Lion, but it is a little bit strange to use always a usb boot stick to boot.

EDIT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can answer my questions more or less, but I dont know it is believeable or not.

My errors, boot0 GPT error was not a misstake from me or some installations mistake.

It is a Hardware Error, my 500GB Western Digital Blue Scorpion 2,5" 5400rpm Sata HDD.

Somehow I dont know why, this HDD's boot sector cannot be written. It was an extended HDD, I put out from the house, and used it.

I tried everything, and now, 3 other HDD was completely ok, no install problem, no chameleon problem, everything was immediately done, ok.

I put back this HDD, chameleon install (every step was the same) boot0 error.

So, I buy another Harddisk, and that one will be good for Extended Datas.

First I read agout this error, more people changed his HDD, changed Brand. But now I also, hard to believe but true.

Hnvijay thanks for your help.

The way i am looking at indexing and caching is one wants to keep the read/writes of an SSD to a minimum, because the SSD wears out over time, and both these things would be doing both those things.

So i am deeply considering moving the SSD to my desktop where i will have better control over it and i will be better utilizing it's characteristics. I am just facing the fact that the 1201's Atom is just too oomphless to see major performance gains with an SSD. Do not get me wrong, things did get better and faster when i first installed it a day and a half ago, and i have yet to test battery performance, which could easily swing things back in favor of the 1201.

What method did you use to enable trim? I ask because i used Trim Enabler but i cannot erase me free space. I can only hope and assume it is Trim-ming in the backgound.

I have successfully enabled trim using this post TRIM Link.

My understanding is that when you are redeploying a SSD drive is when you would want to erase it completely. After the erase using the command "fsck -ffy" will enable trim cleaning. Reference: fsck Link

I have two SSD drives, one on a MBP and one on a hack both running lion and this works for me.

Okay, that was the same thing i tried first, before giving in to Trim Enabler. I got as far as step two and got an error regarding the ".{9}" in the command.

As for the erasing, Trim Enabler asked the user to go into Disk Utility and manually erase the free space on the drive, rather then the OS taking care of it in the background. But "Erase Free Space" is greyed out for me in DU.

Initial battery test has about seven hours battery life, but that is very preliminary. I won't really test until tomorrow.

------

Follow up gives me more like four and a half hours.

After 3 days of Chameleon Install, I dont know what to do...

Bootmaker always without problems done, Lion install like a charm, but when I have to Chameleon install, everything went wrong, it doesnt matter which way or how I want to install.

I cannot write the boot sector, always boot0 GPT error.

Hnvijay wrote me a step by step manual install, I got no error messages during manual boot0 boot1h install, everything goes ok, but at the end:

boot0 GPT

boot0 test

boot0 test

boot0 GPT

boot0 test

boot0 test

boot0 error

and this thing started when I changed ma 250GB HD to a 500GB WD Blue Scorpion HD.

I still had my Lion on my 250GB HD, and I can boot from this HD with usb, I try now a standard Bootmaker install with 2gb ram and chameleon r914 but it is like a miracle, everything goes in a best way, no errors, but restart, and there's no boot file.

The new Chameleon Wizard doesnt included r1203 only bigger versions, the old one always crashed for me.

I try to find the first one and download r1203, not from a selected folder install, fog me like these files somehow didnt do anything.

I did the Terminal install also several times (thanks again Hnvijay for your patience), but I cannot write these boot files to the first sectors.

Has anyone maybe also Chameleon problems?

Or any suggestions ?

I really love Lion, but it is a little bit strange to use always a usb boot stick to boot.

First I read agout this error, more people changed his HDD, changed Brand. But now I also, hard to believe but true.

Hnvijay thanks for your help.

You are always welcome. I just tried to solve your issue with whatever limited knowledge I have.

You may want to look at this Chameleon boot error bug.

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/129/

You are always welcome. I just tried to solve your issue with whatever limited knowledge I have.

You may want to look at this Chameleon boot error bug.

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/129/

I knew it... :):(:D

It is good to see, that I am not a stupid idiot, who cannot install chameleon with a wizard....

Now the question is, how much time they need for a solution, I hope not so much and I leave it inside, after all it is a new one from 06.2011

I'm trying a new way to do a clean install from a REAL mac

I have a new Macbook air (sandy-bridge)

I can use the EFI recovery boot to install a clean load on a USB Drive

I have used HackBoot_Lion to get the drive to boot on my older Core2 machine but I can not figure out how to get the 1201N post install corrected to Nativity boot on the Asus 1201N.

I tried to install the lastest atom Kernal to the root of the drive and install the latest bootloader, but it boots to a 'Black' screen etc

hello all !!! I did my snow Leoapard 10.6.8 update to Lion 11a511, with the present guide... but, the only thing I've changed is chameleon 1447 trunk... and everything is working but video hardware acceleration and my trackpad... I'm writing with my new 1201N Lion LOL... and It's running .... can't complaint... it's my minute number 5 at this new OSX---... I'll keep tuned for news .. any question you just shoot ... I'll read more and find something about 1201N Lion and QE/CI.....

my msn ice_pdb@hotmail.com

For all of you with HDD with 4k sectors and with this error:

boot0 GPT

boot0 test

boot0 test

boot0 error

After chameleon install comes this error, because HDD-s with 4k sector instead of 512 cannot accept boot1h.

I cannot explain it deeply, but worked for me:

Boot with Installer_Lion stick with Single User mode, then

Go to the folder where chameleon files are:

cd /path_to_the_i386_folder

Install boot0 to the MBR:

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX

Install boot1h to the bootsector of the Root partition:

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY

Then, copy the file ‘boot’ to it:

cp boot /

Check if the boot1h file is still where it should:

dd if=/dev/rdiskXsY of=somefile1h bs=512 count=2

If somefile1h is empty run this again:

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY

Check again, if it's empty do it again, I had to do it a couple of times, for me 5-6 times.

I dont know why but works :-)

Well I was wrong, QE/CI is enabled... water effect on dashboard... and is running better with graphics boot turned off... way a lot better... still can't can't make my trackpad work... maybe because I've updated the system...

Q.: How how I install voodoo track pad kext....? and Where can I find it?... is it E/E, or S/L/E and

what shoud I delete from S/L/E, I have ApplePS2Controller.kextApplePS2Mouse.kext, ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

I delete one and I loose keyboard...

I have an some idea on how to do it, but, since I'm at work don't want too much trouble here... if anyone can help me, I'm all ears! Thanks in advance!

Finally WORKS!!!

My HD was seen using the 2Gb dsdt.aml file, and not the 3gb one (my machine is 3gb ram and 320gb HD)

Now two little problems:

- When Chameleon boot I must manually choose the HD as boot, is it possible to skip this part and left that chameleon chose it automatically? (I installed chameleon on the HD as first post)

- When i shoot down the pc, osx is "closed" but the pc remain with power, with black screen. I must press the power button for about 4-5 seconds to completely shut down the pc. Is this normal?

I found the same problem here. Managed to install Lion in my machine with 3gb of ram (Thanks crazyjuice) but when I update the dsdt.aml to the 3gb version form the nesseau package I get:

Still waiting for root device - error

With 2gb dsdt.aml happens the same when I shutdown: osx is "closed" but the pc remain with power, with black screen. I must press the power button for about 4-5 seconds to completely shut down the pc.

Can anyone please have a look in the 3gb dsdt.aml file ?

Thanks,

PiSToL

Every time Netbook Starts/Restarts, It reads and reloads the entire S/L/E kexts when using mach_kernel_atom. But if i rename it to mach_kernel, it uses the cache just fine.

Am i missing something ?

:)

You could try rebuilding you kext cache with:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

And then rebuilding /Extra/Extensions with Kext Wizard program.

[]'s

As I wrote in the past, I have also a 1201NL, and with this netbook sleep, shut down, lcd lid sleep, wake up, everything works perfectly.

I did always together all the updates with my 1201n, but with the other one always worked.

If sy want some files, anything for sleep enabling for 1201n, I can send them.

1201NL has 10.6.7 updates.

Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1203 + Deepsleep.

Hibernate(deep sleep) works fine on EeePC 1201N with Sleepenabler.kext along with the Chameleon patch (see bug#133) on Mac OS X Lion. I have applied the patch and compiled it for the Chameleon build 2.0 RC5 r1203. Please find the attached boot files(with embedded theme). If you are running Chameleon r1203, you just replace the boot file inside the root directory with this patched one. With this boot file and Sleep enabler.kext from #124, deep sleep works fine on 1201N.

boot_files1203.tar.gz

Sleepenabler.kext link

Currently in Mac OS X Lion after a sleep/shutdown/reboot, CMOS/BIOS sometimes hangs for a while and needs to be reset (due to Lion AppleRTC.kext) . There are three different CMOS reset binary patches . Has anyone tried any of these AppleRTC binary patch fix suggested in the thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253992

Hi All,

when I bought my 1201n, it was not a serie Netbook, the old owner did some things, My 1201n has bigger and better cooling system, other cooling grid, this part of the netbook under have more holes for air, and with some Hyper Threading or what I see on my 1201n 4x1,6Ghz CPU like Quad CPU.

With Win7 there is a program which can overlock my CPU till I think 2Ghz, but I dont remember.

My question is, is it possible, that my 1,6GGhz Dual core Atom works like a Quad CPU?

Lets see my iStatPro Widget, there can be seen 4x1,6Ghz.

Is it possible?

Is there an overlocking app for Atom CPU under OSX ?

post-720313-1314707256_thumb.png

Hibernate(deep sleep) works fine on EeePC 1201N with Sleepenabler.kext along with the Chameleon patch (see bug#133) on Mac OS X Lion. I have applied the patch and compiled it for the Chameleon build 2.0 RC5 r1203. Please find the attached boot files(with embedded theme). If you are running Chameleon r1203, you just replace the boot file inside the root directory with this patched one. With this boot file and Sleep enabler.kext from #124, deep sleep works fine on 1201N.

boot_files1203.tar.gz

Sleepenabler.kext link

thanks hnvijay!

in i386 mode it works like a charm for lid & mainswitch & Fn+F1 (Zz) - does it work in x86_64 mode as well?

addition: YES it works with 64 bit KernelExtensions

sleep: ~5 sec. wake: ~2-3 sec.

best regards Mondi

btw.: my /E/E files:

AnyCardReader, AppleACPIBatteryManager, AtherosL1cEthernet, BroadcomAppleBluetooth,

CPUIDOverride, CPUIDSymbols, EvOreboot, IOWMIFamily, LegacyAGPM, NullCPUPowerManagement,

PlatformUUID, SleepEnabler, VoodooPS2Controller, fakesmc

/S/L/E: Vanilla (only reinstalled AppleHDA&IOAudioFam)

btw - installed 10.7.1 by apple online update & have no BT ghosts (acti-/deactivation of BT by Fn+F2)

post-170145-1314913577_thumb.png

post-170145-1314914360.png

post-170145-1314914371.png

boot_files1203.tar.gz

Sleepenabler.kext link

Currently in Mac OS X Lion after a sleep/shutdown/reboot, CMOS/BIOS sometimes hangs for a while and needs to be reset (due to Lion AppleRTC.kext) . There are three different CMOS reset binary patches . Has anyone tried any of these AppleRTC binary patch fix suggested in the thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253992

Awesome find, thanks hnvijay! :D

Facetime issue is solved by this new chameleon build 1491

but I'm having a problem with my track pad and hotkey. They don't work with this bootloader so I had to rollback to my old bootloader (RC5 r1203)

this has been already happened since the new Chameleon 2.1svn build came out. and this problem still has not fixed yet

http://www.kexts.com/view/1787-chameleon_t...time_patch.html

this is where to download.

Does anybody face issues like me?

Facetime issue is solved by this new chameleon build 1491

but I'm having a problem with my track pad and hotkey. They don't work with this bootloader so I had to rollback to my old bootloader (RC5 r1203)

this has been already happened since the new Chameleon 2.1svn build came out. and this problem still has not fixed yet

http://www.kexts.com/view/1787-chameleon_t...time_patch.html

this is where to download.

Does anybody face issues like me?

I just compiled patch binary with Chameleon RC5 r1203 boot loader and installed

Everything works perfect

boot file is attached for people who have FaceTime issue and can't use latest chameleon 2.1 svn builds

boot.zip