crazyjuice

Asus 1201N Installation and support

1,051 posts in this topic

You must watch if you formatted the USB with the GUID partition table, hope it helps!!

EDIT: I'm going to re-try it with a clean computer, wish me luck!

EDIT2: YES I've DONE IT! I can install Lion

EDIT3: Too early, when my pc tries to boot, I just get a blinking cursor again... Something wrong with the boot?

Here's a vid with my problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSFOtbPtr48

EDIT4:

Ok I can get it to "boot" for a little, I press -v in the bootloader, I see a lot of lines, and suddenly the pc reboots

Advertisement

I'm going to post my adventure with Lion and all the problems I've found.

The installation I have done was:

Making the USB following the crazyjuice at first post, but doing it with the 1.0.1 beta3 NetbookBootMaker. I've installed Lion making the cp at the terminal, erasing disk and installing it. I has too problems to install but at the third time I has a succesfully Lion on my HDD.

Next step, boot it from the Chameleon USB. I've found here a problem. The USB Chameleon at my USB don't let me choose from where partition I want to boot. I've installed other Chameleon versions and nothing. It stucks at a grey screen for 20 seconds, then starts booting from USB. The solution was modifying the com.chameleon.boot.plist with Chameleon Wizard, opening it and clicking the option "Time to boot 5" on 5 secs. I put again the USB on my 1201N and voilà, now I have some options to choose.

Ok, now I'm opening my 10.7. I choose language, have another usb keyboard to plug-in when it asks and all okay. If I install chameleon, same thing happens. It doesn't let me choose my options.

Solution. I've installed in my new 10.7.0 the kexts from biird and worked well. Booting in 32-bits (with arch=1386) and 64-bits my battery meter always stuck at "charging", it says to change my battery and has a "charging logo" without connecting my charger. When I turn off I need to press the power button 5 secs to power off the PC, etc...

I will try to install again 10.7.2 with a combo update. Yesterday it thrown me a big headache... I wish I have luck today...

Any helps to get this fully installed? I've seen all the posts on this topic and I haven't seen any solution to my problems. I hope to run Steam on this nice netbook ;)

And thanks to all. Crazyjuice, biird, and a big etc... You guys are awesome :)

EDIT4:

Ok I can get it to "boot" for a little, I press -v in the bootloader, I see a lot of lines, and suddenly the pc reboots

Have you seen any "kernel" line on the boot? How did you prepared the USB? Something close happened to me today. Solution, I have downloaded the 1.0.1b3 netbookbootmaker (around page 6, I think). Format your USB with DiskUtility. Open diskutility, click on your USB at left menu, click on "Partitions" and Select "1 partition". In options select GUID, and name it Installer_Lion (as seen at page 1). Now run the 1.0.1b3 to make the USB and put in on to 1201N.

If same thing happens. Download on a working mac/hackintosh Chameleon Wizard. Select option 2 up (that one that is not install). Open the com.chameleon.boot.plist of your Installer_Lion USB. Activate the option below GUI (something like "Time" I think), click on Save and try to boot again.

I hope it helps.

Good luck!

PS: The options I mention above can differ from reality. I'm a spanish hackintosh user so I don't know what is the correct translation of the buttons.

Toletum,

I can boot from my USB to the partition, but then it reboots.

I have the standard x64 installed (this is standard selected in the boot maker), what command do I need to enter to get it working?

I tried -arch=i386, but it loads all these HFS+ files, then my laptop REBOOTS and it doesn't load...

Can you tell me exactly what you selected in the Boot Maker? what bootloader did you select?

Edited by Uloga

EDIT: I'm going to re-try it with a clean computer, wish me luck!

EDIT2: YES I've DONE IT! I can install Lion

EDIT3: Too early, when my pc tries to boot, I just get a blinking cursor again... Something wrong with the boot?

Here's a vid with my problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSFOtbPtr48

EDIT4:

Try loading defaults on bios, hope it helps!!

PD: Which bios version do you have?

Try loading defaults on bios, hope it helps!!

PD: Which bios version do you have?

Try pressing the esc button instead of changing it from bios, in bios load defaults

I have 0326, I have the cracked (with AHCI) aswell as the standard. Tried both ;)

I'm gonna try the new beta boot maker :)

Ok this is what I have now:

Windows 7

Mac OS X (I can run the pre-installed one I found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0dcxfbquw0)

But the standard language is russian..

What I want:

My own Mac OS X.

But why is this so complicated, can't this be easy? It should be the same for everyone right?

What I want to know is:

Have you installed MAC OS X with the Boot Maker with the STANDARD options, or did you select anything else?? Like Chameleon 1203?

Ok, I made another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rtpZzU8Y7M

I have 0326, I have the cracked (with AHCI) aswell as the standard. Tried both ;)

I'm gonna try the new beta boot maker :)

Ok this is what I have now:

Windows 7

Mac OS X (I can run the pre-installed one I found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0dcxfbquw0)

But the standard language is russian..

What I want:

My own Mac OS X.

But why is this so complicated, can't this be easy? It should be the same for everyone right?

What I want to know is:

Have you installed MAC OS X with the Boot Maker with the STANDARD options, or did you select anything else?? Like Chameleon 1203?

Ok, I made another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rtpZzU8Y7M

I did a double boot with windows 7 following the manual and I installed Lion preparing the usb the long way. Try redoing all the process and reformating the whole HD, can't you boot from the usb either?

If not try this, but you surely tried it already:

http://davidtse916.wordpress.com/2007/11/19/changing-the-system-language-in-mac-os-x/

I'll try the long process ;)

EDIT: YEP THAT WORKED =D FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT2.3: Ok now 1 more issue:

1)I can't boot from harddrive, the Chameleon says something about an unvalid image, it starts to load, and then it just reboots. I can however boot from my USB stick with the same Chameleon (latest 2.1)

Videos:

http://youtu.be/gAe7_gAPnto

EDIT THE KEY WAS TO COPY THE WHOLE EXTRA FOLDER AS A FOLDER!!

cp -r /Volumes/YourUSB/Extra /Volumes/YourHDD/Extra

Edited by Uloga

Did you copy the mach_kernel_atom and the /Extra folder to your HDD?

Step 13

- Open up

Terminal

and run the following command :

cp /Volumes/YourUSBdriveName/mach_kernel_atom /Volumes/YourHarddriveName

cp -R /Volumes/YourUSBdriveName/Extra /Volumes/YourHarddriveName

If not, boot again into the installer usb open Disk Utility and type both commands in the Terminal or if you say you're able to boot into Macintosh HD via usb do it with it's terminal

Ok, I've seen what you did with the Chameleon wizard, instead of directly choosing the Update option you should choose the first option, where it says Boot0fs or something like this, hope it helps!

Edited by sulake

Sulake, yes I did copy the file and the extra folder.

Could you please upload your chameleon boot file (found in the root of your drive ;) )

org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Also: Have you installed the Chameleon pref pane? Could you please screenshot every tab so I can see if I have the same ;)

Edited by Uloga

Ok, so I've tried to use the old bootloader.

Now it says Hibernate image is too old, use ForceWake=y to override and it still doesnt work..

Also please upload you mach kernel and mach kernel atom please?? =D

EDIT: Also do oyu have the file com.apple.Boot.plist in your root?

EDIT2: Ok, so I've made an /Extra folder, and it gives me a "dont park"-symbol any ideas?

In verbose it gives me: No interval found for / using 8000000

still waiting foor root device

and then it hangs.

Any ideas?

Edited by Uloga

Yep, upgraded to 10.7.2 now and every things working, except for the sound, where are the kexts for 10.7.2?

Sulake, is your system 10.7.2?

And where do I need to install them /E/E or /S/L/E ?

Hi Guys,

i ve been searching for a while now to get my Asus 1201nl with 3GB to boot the Lion Installation. I've found in this thread that people ending up at a reboot with the message: USB Legacy OFF, like me should read this Prasys Proof of Concept Lion on netbook. Unfortunately i cannot open this page, every time i go to his blog, i get a database error.

I really tried everything to help myself, but could someone maybe tell me how to get to the install screen? I am using Snow Leo 10.6.8 right now.

Please, i need help! It seems to me that some of u using the 1201nl not 1201n have already got over this issue.

Dear all,

Have one issue with sleep:

My 1201 go to sleep correctly when pressing the on/off button and selecting sleep or by selecting sleep in the startmenue.

But when closing the lid or pressing Fn+F1 or waiting till sleep will go to sleep by energy-options, then my 1201 shuts down in a very curious way. Afterwards I need to boot twice because first I have an error message at bootup like "wrong or bad image" or something like that ...

Any ideas? thx Mondi

Yep, upgraded to 10.7.2 now and every things working, except for the sound, where are the kexts for 10.7.2?

Sulake, is your system 10.7.2?

And where do I need to install them /E/E or /S/L/E ?

I've got 10.7.0 with everything working using Asus N-10 usb wifi

you make install whit iaktos l2 to its very simple simply change in boot -v mach_atom and install if you have a still waiting for root device type -v mach_atom USBLegacyOff=yes at boot prompt or disable usb2 in bios

if you want enable ahci in bios and other setting go to http://www.bios-mods...01N-ahci-unlock

work good

excuse for my english

you make install whit iaktos l2 to its very simple simply change in boot -v mach_atom and install if you have a still waiting for root device type -v mach_atom USBLegacyOff=yes at boot prompt or disable usb2 in bios

if you want enable ahci in bios and other setting go to http://www.bios-mods...01N-ahci-unlock

work good

excuse for my english

Great! But why is this BIOS available now and not a year before?

I did an update to the unlocked 326 and now many new features are available in the BIOS.

Is there any documentation, which parameters are best for LION?

Greets Mondi!

Have gone to 10.7.3 without any problems. .... I think Powermanagement is poor, heater is on ....

EDIT: no that was wrong, powermanagment is allright, just the spotlight indexing was running for a longer time :-)

best mondi

Have gone to 10.7.3 without any problems. .... I think Powermanagement is poor, heater is on ....

best mondi

Hello mondi,

Which patched kernel do you use with 10.7.3 ?

(On 10.7.2 I'm still with xnu-1699.22.64 instead of xnu-1699.24.8)

Edit:

It works keeping this kernel.

Great guide!

Does this work with 10.7.3? I mean new install (not updating)?

And does AHCI has to be selected?

I've tried to install 10.7.3. But I hadn't luck: The installation GUI starts up, but after choosing the language, OSX crashes. Might this be a problem with 10.7.3? Should I try 10.7.2? Or even 10.7.0? Which is working best? Any suggestions...?

I installed 10.7.3 and I've had no problem apart the sound I reinstaler audio kexts and everything works ok except FaceTime and i cloud