Fix: VoodooHDA KP (10.6.8 + 10.7.x)

AndersenTech

58 posts in this topic

So, I'm sure there are other fixes out there for VoodooHDA causing KP's on boot. However, none of them worked for me -_-

I didn't even use VoodooHDA before creating this tool! See, my problem was that I had two sound cards, one integrated and the other on a GeForce GT240. I forgot to save my extensions from 10.6.7 and after upgrading to 10.6.8 I had no sound... I tried to use the same method to patch AppleHDA and using some enablers, and even VoodooHDA alone. None of the enablers worked and VoodooHDA was causing a KP!!!

I downloaded VoodooHDA alone, repaired the permissions on the file alone and tried to load it using

kextload -v 1 VoodooHDA.kext

and it loaded fine on both i386 and x86_64, however if I tried to leave it in the /S/L/E and boot it got a KP.

Getting to the point ---> VoodooLoader

This little app sets the permissions on the kext and loads it from a directory from within the app, leaving Voodoo out of the system caches :D

Installation Guide

1. Remove AppleHDA.kext and ALL enablers!!! (eg. HDAEnabler.kext, ALCxxx.kext, etc.) [These are found in /E/E and/or /S/L/E]

2. Reboot and rebuild your caches

3. Download VoodooLoader Installer here --> DOWNLOAD

4. To auto enable VoodooHDA do the following:

I. Open System Prefrences

II. Click on Accounts

III. Click on the Login Items tab

4. VoodooLoader will be automatically enabled at startup

I. To remove from startup, run the following:

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/loginwindow AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary

5. Enjoy sound!!

6. (EXTRA)

If you're having problems with the stock VoodooHDA.kext (or want to install a custom kext) you can run VoodooPatcher (also found at the download site)

--------------------------------------

Updated 12/09 - Updated ML Kexts

Updated 10/24 - Support for Lion (10.7.x)

Updated 1/29 - Updated instructions and VoodooPatcher

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey All! I finally decided to upgrade to Lion, meaning that I have a new next inside of VoodooLauncher. You can grab it from here DOWNLOAD. I will probably put up a link on another server (possibly google) in the near future. Keep posted

Hi,

i get the larsen effect.

Is there a way to disable the auto-start in Windows?

You can try the new kext from the latest version.

Hey All! I finally decided to upgrade to Lion, meaning that I have a new next inside of VoodooLauncher. You can grab it from here DOWNLOAD. I will probably put up a link on another server (possibly google) in the near future. Keep posted

You can try the new kext from the latest version.

I'm afraid it still seems that the link is broken. I look forward to this patch!

• 1 month later...

is there a way to change the voodoohda.kext itself in the app?? Coz when i change it with 2.7.3 it does not succeed with the loading of the kext. I really need to replace the existing with 2.7.3 as i have made changes to 2.7.3 to work with my sound card. Thanks

Btw really cool app!! :wink2: :thumbsup_anim:

is there a way to change the voodoohda.kext itself in the app?? Coz when i change it with 2.7.3 it does not succeed with the loading of the kext. I really need to replace the existing with 2.7.3 as i have made changes to 2.7.3 to work with my sound card. Thanks

Yes, it's inside the app. It should be under /Applications/VoodooLoader.app/Contents/Resources/VoodooHDA.kext Just make sure to set the correct permission upon replacing it. they should be

chown -R root:wheel VoodooHDA.kext
chmod go-w VoodooHDA.kext

Come to think of it, maybe I'll just make an add-on that allows users to drag-and-drop their customized version if they choose to do so...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi AndersenTech,

I wanted to be able to share with you some trouble that I'm having not only installing the VoodooLauncher.app but the VoodooPatcher.app as well. I followed all your instructions, but the thing that I get stuck on was trying to understand what your 1st point was:

1. Remove AppleHDA.kext and ALL enablers!!!

The 1st part of your 1st point I completely understood; getting rid of the AppleHDA.kext file, that was easy. The 2nd part though, getting rid of ALL enablers was a bit hard for me to understand, as I do not know which enablers to remove and where to remove them from. So I did not remove any.

What I had proceeded to do was install the VoodooLauncher.app. I then follow the rest of your instructions by opening up my system preferences, clicking on my accounts, then clicking on the login items tab. Again this is kind of where I got stuck again. Although I did notice that there was some kind of file that was supposed to auto launch when I restarted my OS, I did not know if I was supposed to leave now file in their or remove it. I did not remove it but I also did not know whether I should have put a check mark on it to hide the program or to leave it unchecked to let it do it's thing when I restarted my system.

Well, when I rebooted I noticed that my terminal.app started up on its own each and every time and I couldn't figure out why, until I noticed that it only happened right after I installed VoodooLauncer.app. So what I did was I went back into my system preferences> accounts> login items and checked off the vd_startup (All Users) I went back and forth switching it on and off in between while rebooting it and still the terminal file still kept popping up while it was starting each and every time. I then went back onto this forum link that you provided with all this great information and decided to read through everything to find out if anyone else has gone through the same problem. It looks like someone has and that you actually provided a patch or that issue.

Well I installed this new VoodoPatcher.app that you provided back in the middle of December (a month ago). While when I would've into my applications folder to launch the application and came up with this comment:

Drag the files to process and below that was the details section that I opened up to see what it was doing. It did absolutely nothing. A gift for their and the processing installation bar didn't move at all. So I quit the program and relaunched it again and still nothing. So I am pretty much stuck at this point and do not know what to do. I hope to get some further input in as much detail as you can provide on all the things I mentioned above that I could've missed that need to be done in order for this install to be successful for me as it has been for others as well.

I do very much appreciate your time in reading this and hope that you will provide a solution to my issue. Thank you very much for all that you've done… :-)

Hi AndersenTech,

I wanted to be able to share with you some trouble that I'm having not only installing the VoodooLauncher.app but the VoodooPatcher.app as well. I followed all your instructions, but the thing that I get stuck on was trying to understand what your 1st point was:

1. Remove AppleHDA.kext and ALL enablers!!!

The 1st part of your 1st point I completely understood; getting rid of the AppleHDA.kext file, that was easy. The 2nd part though, getting rid of ALL enablers was a bit hard for me to understand, as I do not know which enablers to remove and where to remove them from. So I did not remove any.

What I had proceeded to do was install the VoodooLauncher.app. I then follow the rest of your instructions by opening up my system preferences, clicking on my accounts, then clicking on the login items tab. Again this is kind of where I got stuck again. Although I did notice that there was some kind of file that was supposed to auto launch when I restarted my OS, I did not know if I was supposed to leave now file in their or remove it. I did not remove it but I also did not know whether I should have put a check mark on it to hide the program or to leave it unchecked to let it do it's thing when I restarted my system.

Well, when I rebooted I noticed that my terminal.app started up on its own each and every time and I couldn't figure out why, until I noticed that it only happened right after I installed VoodooLauncer.app. So what I did was I went back into my system preferences> accounts> login items and checked off the vd_startup (All Users) I went back and forth switching it on and off in between while rebooting it and still the terminal file still kept popping up while it was starting each and every time. I then went back onto this forum link that you provided with all this great information and decided to read through everything to find out if anyone else has gone through the same problem. It looks like someone has and that you actually provided a patch or that issue.

Well I installed this new VoodoPatcher.app that you provided back in the middle of December (a month ago). While when I would've into my applications folder to launch the application and came up with this comment:

Drag the files to process and below that was the details section that I opened up to see what it was doing. It did absolutely nothing. A gift for their and the processing installation bar didn't move at all. So I quit the program and relaunched it again and still nothing. So I am pretty much stuck at this point and do not know what to do. I hope to get some further input in as much detail as you can provide on all the things I mentioned above that I could've missed that need to be done in order for this install to be successful for me as it has been for others as well.

I do very much appreciate your time in reading this and hope that you will provide a solution to my issue. Thank you very much for all that you've done… :-)

I've realized that my instructions weren't exactly very explicit and therefore have updated them. They should answer all of your questions about the installation procedure. As to VoodooPatcher issues when you open the application it will ask you to drag your modified VoodooHDA.kext to the window, from there it will change the permissions and move it to the VoodooLoader's directory, making it load on startup instead of the provided VoodooHDA.kext. You shouldn't see any output from the window until the installation is completed and says "All done"

Hope this answers your question

I've that problem from long time.. but asus laptop needs the 2.7.3 Mute-Laarsen patcher version

and whit it.. I have random KP at boot.. sometimes it run fine.. sometimes no

and I cannot put another one..

then.. your version is good for me?

Hi AndersenTech,

You said:

To remove from startup, run the following:
 sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/loginwindow AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary 

5. Enjoy sound!!

First (and please forgive my ignorance), where do I find this "AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary" to delete it. I tried everywhere to find it but I couldn't. I even tried to use an app called Show Find Invisible Files and still couldn't find it to delete that file...

Then you said this:

6. (EXTRA) If you're having problems with the stock VoodooHDA.kext (or want to install a custom kext) you can run VoodooPatcher (also found at the download site) -------------------------------------- Updated 10/24 - Support for Lion (10.7.x) Updated 1/29 - Updated instructions and VoodooPatcher

Where is the VoodoHDA.kext file? I can't find that either as I did everything as you instructed and still couldn't find either two files. Please advise. Again, thank you... :-)

**EDIT**

1) Never mind, I caught my mistake I should "run" (or write) in the Terminal.app - "sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/loginwindow AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary." I will do that and see what happens.

2) I'm going to forget about the VoodooHDA.kext since it's not in there anyway. BTW, if I'm supposed to have that K file in there, then please tell me where I can get it, but again, only if I need it. If I do need that K file, then I will apply rule #6. Thanks...

I did what you said and nothing in the Terminal.app found anything to make any changes. So no changes were made and when I rebooted it started Terminal again. So now, since I can't find that VoodooHDA.kext file to drag into the VoodooPatcher.app, I guess things are pretty much still the same...

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks AndersenTech (AT)... Later... :-)

Well, after all the work that I put into trying to make this application work, I decided to go with my already existing Siig USB 7.1 surround sound optical cable adapter (found here):

http://www.microcent...duct_id=0256271

that I paid $28 for. Now you don't have to spend that kind of money if you have regular audio pin type (not sure if it's a 2.5 or 3.5mm) jack.

http://www.microcent...duct_id=0247172

Now that one cost about $16. And let me tell you it is far better than spending your typical $5 on a regular USB audio adapter that you can get anywhere. I say this because both of these Siig USB audio adapters actually improve the sound far better than if you were to use any other type of adapter. I actually did a side-by-side and found that out myself. So these Siig USB audio adapters are incredible.

The only thing is I don't know now is if the VoodooLauncher.app or VoodooPatcher.app works or not, but I didn't want to take any chances. Plus I want my Logitech Z5500 5.1 surround sound speakers that have an optical output that I use already to really shine. And let me tell you these speakers sound that much better now as a result of the optical cable and this USB optical cable surround sound adapter. They really do separate each speaker with pinpoint surroundsound accuracy. I haven't heard anything better.

Anyone considering on getting a nice set of speakers and a great adapter should really consider this type of setup… :-)

Now I know there are some other surround sound speakers out there, and I go to the retail stores to listen to them, but NOTHING matches the power and sound quality of the Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker system set up. I do not know why they stop producing these incredible speakers? Because even the newest lineup that Logitech has is {censored} compared to the Z5500s…

Now I paid $250 for my setup and actually got 2 sets of Z5500s, so if you can get them still (even if you have to go on eBay and get a used complete set) then I would jump on it! Again there is truly nothing like the speakers for the money…

I actually use both sets of speakers when we had an 80s party and everybody in our house truly felt like they were in a nightclub because of the immense bass that was amazing from the small self-contained amplified subwoofers. Not to mention the 10 speaker set up that I had as a result of combining both surround sound speakers - LOL !!!!! All the while using a mixing program on one of my older Macs. That was a lot of fun !!!

Here is a link to this speaker set up:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16836121120

What is strange is that I went onto Amazon.com and notice that they are selling the speakers for - get this - $974.60 !!!!! That's insane !!!!!

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0002WPSBC

I guess people realize how hard these speakers are to come by for some reason. But right underneath that pricing you can actually buy them new for $550 or even used at $260. Personally, I would just buy a used set and be done with it. Actually, I just went on eBay and noticed (on the Completed Listings section) that these speakers are going for (on average) $300-$500. I even saw one go as high as $750 (again, that's pure insanity); especially for what I paid for them. I'm definitely not letting mine go if I can help it. I still can't believe these speakers are selling for that price, but I guess people understand the quality of how well these speakers perform.

Well I hope this helps anybody who is looking for an alternative to get their sound working as well as getting possibly a great set of speakers or finding a great set of speakers that closely match the Logitech Z 5500s… Later all… B)

PS - Thanks again AT for your efforts and work into helping us with our audio issues with our Mak Hak Pros...

Well, after all the work that I put into trying to make this application work, I decided to go with my already existing Siig USB 7.1 surround sound optical cable adapter (found here):

http://www.microcent...duct_id=0256271

that I paid $28 for. Now you don't have to spend that kind of money if you have regular audio pin type (not sure if it's a 2.5 or 3.5mm) jack.

http://www.microcent...duct_id=0247172

Now that one cost about $16. And let me tell you it is far better than spending your typical $5 on a regular USB audio adapter that you can get anywhere. I say this because both of these Siig USB audio adapters actually improve the sound far better than if you were to use any other type of adapter. I actually did a side-by-side and found that out myself. So these Siig USB audio adapters are incredible.

The only thing is I don't know now is if the VoodooLauncher.app or VoodooPatcher.app works or not, but I didn't want to take any chances. Plus I want my Logitech Z5500 5.1 surround sound speakers that have an optical output that I use already to really shine. And let me tell you these speakers sound that much better now as a result of the optical cable and this USB optical cable surround sound adapter. They really do separate each speaker with pinpoint surroundsound accuracy. I haven't heard anything better.

Anyone considering on getting a nice set of speakers and a great adapter should really consider this type of setup… :-)

Now I know there are some other surround sound speakers out there, and I go to the retail stores to listen to them, but NOTHING matches the power and sound quality of the Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker system set up. I do not know why they stop producing these incredible speakers? Because even the newest lineup that Logitech has is {censored} compared to the Z5500s…

Now I paid $250 for my setup and actually got 2 sets of Z5500s, so if you can get them still (even if you have to go on eBay and get a used complete set) then I would jump on it! Again there is truly nothing like the speakers for the money…

I actually use both sets of speakers when we had an 80s party and everybody in our house truly felt like they were in a nightclub because of the immense bass that was amazing from the small self-contained amplified subwoofers. Not to mention the 10 speaker set up that I had as a result of combining both surround sound speakers - LOL !!!!! All the while using a mixing program on one of my older Macs. That was a lot of fun !!!

Here is a link to this speaker set up:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16836121120

What is strange is that I went onto Amazon.com and notice that they are selling the speakers for - get this - $974.60 !!!!! That's insane !!!!!

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0002WPSBC

I guess people realize how hard these speakers are to come by for some reason. But right underneath that pricing you can actually buy them new for $550 or even used at $260. Personally, I would just buy a used set and be done with it. Actually, I just went on eBay and noticed (on the Completed Listings section) that these speakers are going for (on average) $300-$500. I even saw one go as high as $750 (again, that's pure insanity); especially for what I paid for them. I'm definitely not letting mine go if I can help it. I still can't believe these speakers are selling for that price, but I guess people understand the quality of how well these speakers perform.

Well I hope this helps anybody who is looking for an alternative to get their sound working as well as getting possibly a great set of speakers or finding a great set of speakers that closely match the Logitech Z 5500s… Later all… B)

PS - Thanks again AT for your efforts and work into helping us with our audio issues with our Mak Hak Pros...

So are your issues resolved?

This is not related to Voodoo in any way, but I'm running a survey about hosting a Siri server for devices other than the 4S. Input would be greatly appreciated.

Check it out here, thanks in advance