Broadcom BCM4321 - Lion

mickeyd453

15 posts in this topic

Hi

I have a Broadcom BCM4321 which i have rebranded to be an Apple card and in SL it is seen without issue and is reported as

Interfaces:

en1:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x87)

Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.27)

Locale: FCC

Country Code: US

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 b/g/n

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

In Lion this card just flatly does not work but i can't figure out why as the BCM4321 is used in MBP's and the fact that i branded it an Apple card i though it would be plain sailing.

Does anyone have any success with this or any other PCI card in Lion?

thanks

OK i have got this working by copying IO80211Family.kext from my working 10.6.8 partition to 10.7 but for the life of me i cant remember if i had to do anything to IO80211Family.kext in 10.6 to get this card going, i dont think so but i could be wrong. I also note that in 10.7 IO80211Family.kext is 14meg and yet in 10.6 its near on 19! so lots changed in there.

I'll try and figure out what it is in 10.6's IO80211Family.kext that gets me working so that i can try and keep 10.7 as vanilla as possible.

thanks

OK i have got this working by copying IO80211Family.kext from my working 10.6.8 partition to 10.7 but for the life of me i cant remember if i had to do anything to IO80211Family.kext in 10.6 to get this card going, i dont think so but i could be wrong. I also note that in 10.7 IO80211Family.kext is 14meg and yet in 10.6 its near on 19! so lots changed in there.

I'll try and figure out what it is in 10.6's IO80211Family.kext that gets me working so that i can try and keep 10.7 as vanilla as possible.

thanks

Hi!

With the snow leopard kext, is the Airdrop feature working on your computer?

Btw: i have the same issues as you, with bcm4320.

Try removing the pci card, then delete /system/library/caches/com.Apple.kexts/ and reboot. Finally Plug it again and delete kernelcaches again.

In the end i managed to get it working usiing the Lion kext by adding my device ID to the Broadcom kext within IO80211Family kext

I dont have airdrop but i think thats due to the card having an older firmware as i am aware of some real macs where airdrop is not available, ie pre early 2008 boxes.

• 6 months later...

I have a Broadcom Wireless N mini-pci-e card (BRCM4321) in my Dell Inspiron 1720. The IO80211Family.kext in 10.7.3 does not have the plug-in for this card. The AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext needs to be taken from a version of SL (I use 10.6.7) and placed in the plugins folder for the IO80211Family.kext. I did not have to add my Device ID to the info.plist in order for it to work.

• 1 month later...

Hi crew, I've had nothing but issues with getting PCI Netgear WN311B to work on Lion. But with Snow using iatkos S3, it installed and worked right after selecting broadcom option during install. But for the sake of me after trying all methods hear and other forums. Just cant get the bloody thing going. What am I missing...???? Help,,ideas

• 3 months later...

The Broadcom cards (in fact all devices) have different device ID's depending on what company (who it was branded for) it was made for.

For instance MY "Broadcom 4321" has a device ID of 14E4-4328 - NOT 4321 - go figure AN . . . BUT until I added 14E4-4321 to the kext below - it would not work even though it was loading and showing a MAC address at boot

First boot in verbose mode (-v) and WATCH what loads. You should see "Broadcom . . . ." something load and show a MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (letters and numbers) Watch what Kext it is loading from - mine was loading from the "AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext"

It was loading at boot - and showing a MAC address as a Broadcom 4328 - but would not "turn on" or work - while it DID work in Snow Leopard

I went into => /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext\Contents/Info.plist => using whatever you can - or something like MacDrive through Windows and EditPadLite and . . .

ADD your card device ID there. It looks something like this => <string>pci14e4,4321</string>

You can find the Device ID with something like "Everest Ultimate Editon" or carefully searching the Windows Device manager Properties => Details. it will be the PCI ven and Dev ID at the beginning of the line LIKE PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328. . . Yours may be different.

If you paste who pieces of other kexts - you may get messages like ". . . kext is malformed" etc . . . it is always best to just modify the working kext with the device ID

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi, I finally got this card (Netgear WN311B\PCI) working on Lion 10.7.2 + 10.8.2, following these additional steps;

1st) if not all ready existing, add these folders to you file system \Extra\Extensions\

2nd) Copy the following attachments into Extensions\ folder;

3rd) delete kext IO80211Family.kext from; System\Library\Extensions.

Restart,

You should now find the WIFI symbol in the top right hand side, top menu bar, go into system preferences network turn on WIFI. and your done :star_sunglasses:

UPDATE;

you may need to use kextwizard to add;

Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext to; System\Library\Extensions.

Broadcom43XXFamily.kext.zip

BroadcomFix.kext.zip

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I finally got this card (Netgear WN311B\PCI) working on Lion 10.7.2 + 10.8.2, following these additional steps;1st) if not all ready existing, add these folders to you file system \Extra\Extensions\2nd) Copy the following attachments into Extensions\ folder;3rd) delete kext IO80211Family.kext from; System\Library\Extensions.Restart,You should now find the WIFI symbol in the top right hand side, top menu bar, go into system preferences network turn on WIFI. and your done :star_sunglasses:UPDATE;you may need to use kextwizard to add;Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2.kext to; System\Library\Extensions.

While my WN311B card was detected, it couldn't connect to a WiFi network. After adding these 3 files, OS X Mavericks didn't see the card at all. Now I don't know how to fix it; I blew 2 and a half hours trying to fix it to no avail.

• 4 months later...

Im sticking with the Steve Jobs & his development team as they knew what they where doing (no guessing hear) and wont be going above 10.8.+ & iso6 Yep your right, updates\upgrades above 10.8.2. Interrupt this wifi fix.

From my testing, the issue is with BroadcomFix.kext. Not allowing to connect to a wifi connecting....? Can't hold your hand on this one...