Can I dual boot OS X and Windows 7?

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I've been wanting to dual boot OS X (Lion or Snow Leopard) for a very long time now. I have tried many times without any luck. I was wondering if my system can even allow a dual boot of 7 and OS X.

Here is a screenshot of Speccy:

1e7f7de4794789d8350853f250fb8242.png

(Tell me if you need more precise info.)

I need to keep my installation of Windows 7 intact, but I want to boot either Snow Leopard or Lion along side of it. I don't have access to any other Mac machine, if you need to know that.

If this is possible, could a suitable tutorial be provided? Thanks for all of your help!

Actually, I currently triple-boot *two* versions of OS X and Windows 7.

Maxtor 6LS200 (SATA-150 200 GB HDD) - evenly split between Snow 10.6.8 and Lion GM (both partitions are GPT)

Western Digital Caviar GP-AV WDAC5000AVVS (SATA 3.0 Gb/s HDD) Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (only OS)

Chameleon RC5 v1000 or later or Chimera (any version) installed on the primary (Snow, in my case) partition can boot all three OSes, or the Snow or Lion GM restored install images on yet a third HDD (WD 40 GB Caviar PATA split into four same-size GPT partitions; Snow install source/Lion install source/applications and utilities I/applications and utilities II).

At some point, I'll get a larger 1 TB Windows-only drive - then, I can move everything up one HDD and have an all-SATA Hack tower.

Actually, I currently triple-boot *two* versions of OS X and Windows 7.

Maxtor 6LS200 (SATA-150 200 GB HDD) - evenly split between Snow 10.6.8 and Lion GM (both partitions are GPT)

Western Digital Caviar GP-AV WDAC5000AVVS (SATA 3.0 Gb/s HDD) Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (only OS)

Chameleon RC5 v1000 or later or Chimera (any version) installed on the primary (Snow, in my case) partition can boot all three OSes, or the Snow or Lion GM restored install images on yet a third HDD (WD 40 GB Caviar PATA split into four same-size GPT partitions; Snow install source/Lion install source/applications and utilities I/applications and utilities II).

At some point, I'll get a larger 1 TB Windows-only drive - then, I can move everything up one HDD and have an all-SATA Hack tower.

That's amazing! Is there a decent tutorial that I could use to dual boot Snow and 7 with my specs? The tutorials I have tried so far haven't worked. (Probably just because of an error on my part.)

I would recommend getting a second hard drive for Mac OS, installing to that second hard drive with the Windows drive disconnected, then once you have Mac OS completely working, plug in the Windows drive. Chameleon should automatically detect the Windows drive and offer it as an option when booting.

Though you may need a ahci driver update to your windows 7 install. It is a very simple fix, because you will want to run your mobo in ahci mode for your osx install.

I updated my windows post installation in regedit. Do a google search. All my data was left in tact too, and my comp boots fine on SL and Windows 7. I'd keep them on two different drives.