[GUIDE] Dual boot Windows 7 and OSX Lion

9 posts in this topic

With OSX Lion released today I successfully tried and dual booted Win7 and OSX Lion.

Easy.....

1)Just Install Windows 7 on a single partition with MBR and then open up disk management to create another partition

less than 1TB.

2)Follow my guide to install Lion .

3)In chameleon menu choose System Reserved to boot into win7 and your lion partition to boot into Lion.

• Like 1

With OSX Lion released today I successfully tried and dual booted Win7 and OSX Lion.

Easy.....

1)Just Install Windows 7 on a single partition with MBR and then open up disk management to create another partition

less than 1TB.

3)In chameleon menu choose System Reserved to boot into win7 and your lion partition to boot into Lion.

Thanks for this post.

i have a Notebook with 5 partions and windows 7 installed on partion 1. i want to install Mac os X Lion on my partion 2.is this possible?

what i must do?can i select Disk utility in Mac Setup screen and Erase partion 2 with Mac OS Extended(journaled) and Setup the the Mac Lion and after that install the Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1083.pkg on partion 2? is this Correct?

after this how can i force system to boot with Chameleon to select the Win7 or Mac?!

Thanks

Thanks for this post.

i have a Notebook with 5 partions and windows 7 installed on partion 1. i want to install Mac os X Lion on my partion 2.is this possible?

what i must do?can i select Disk utility in Mac Setup screen and Erase partion 2 with Mac OS Extended(journaled) and Setup the the Mac Lion and after that install the Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1083.pkg on partion 2? is this Correct?

after this how can i force system to boot with Chameleon to select the Win7 or Mac?!

Thanks

No need to force anything Chameleon will be the default boot loader if you install it second......

What if I have 2 physical drives, where Windows 7 (System reserved and Windows partitions) are on one disk, and an audio/video partition and OSX Lion on the other? where will the Chameleon go?

If i install Chameleon on the second disk, it will not touch the data partition of that drive or the boot loader of the second drive? just mbr and Mac partition?

My bios permit me to choose from which HD to boot from, so what I want o achieve is: If I do nothing at boot, windows boot loader will load windows, while if I press F8, and select the secondary drive, Chameleon will start and boot OSX, can this be done?

What if I have 2 physical drives, where Windows 7 (System reserved and Windows partitions) are on one disk, and an audio/video partition and OSX Lion on the other? where will the Chameleon go?

On OSX Lion disk.

If i install Chameleon on the second disk, it will not touch the data partition of that drive or the boot loader of the second drive? just mbr and Mac partition?

Yes.

My bios permit me to choose from which HD to boot from, so what I want o achieve is: If I do nothing at boot, windows boot loader will load windows, while if I press F8, and select the secondary drive, Chameleon will start and boot OSX, can this be done?

Yes. That's exactly how it will work by default.

Yes. That's exactly how it will work by default.

I installed the Chameleon that comes with Andy's pack for P8P67, but it didn't install the mbr on the drive: When i boot i see just a cursor with nothing else. still booting with the usb drive....

Update:

I Installed Chameleon RC5 1083.pkg and now I can boot directly from harddisk, exactly as I wanted:

- Turn on computer and press nothing => Boot into Windows 7

- Turn on computer and press F8 at bios, then select the secondary harddisk => Boot into Mac Lion

• 2 weeks later...

- have SL 10.6.8 installed and on dual boot with windows 7 ultimate on same drive

- want to upgrade to 10.7 without losing any data,application,settings,etc

- without losing dual booting capabilities

- Use an Asus P5G41 MLX board with Core 2 Duo processor

- 4GB ram

- got your installation media prepared as in your guide but computer just shut down after i choose installation language on the first screen of lion installation

- firstly, will using your guide make it possible what i want to do above

- secondly why is the 'crash' happening and how to resolve this?

• 5 months later...

Easy.....

less than 1TB.

thank you so so much for the pointer!!!!

you know what i did?? i selected the drive (C:\) on which win7 was installed which refused to boot.....so silly of me!!