10.6 on Compaq C500 with wifi(Working)

13 posts in this topic

I just want to share this somewhere as it took to long for me to get snow leopard on my Compaq C500

Maybe someone else will find this on google or here.. it might work on others with similar hardware like the c300

leave a reply if your hardware worked with this kext file for wifi

Installing Hazzard 10.6.6i on a Compaq C500

Warnings:

This Worked and was tested on a Compaq Presario C500 1.73ghz processor

this device shipped with some different configurations and in general this will work for most. DO NOT USE THIS and close the lid to the computer when on, it will not sleep automatically. To Sleep click sleep in the menu. not Doing so may result in hardware overheating, which isn't good right.

What doesn't work:

Sleep when lids is closed(only menu driven sleep cmd works)

Microphone doesn't work

ONLY scrolling portion of trackpad(basic mouse functions work)

Apple's 10.6.8 update

Instructions:

1. During Startup hit f10 to go into bios

2. Disable sata and also make sure boot order is cd before harddrive f10 to save

3. insert 10.6.6i dvd and let boot this will take about 5 minutes to load up

4.select language, and click arrow

5.goto utilities and disk utility to partition your drive

6.disk utility->quit in the menu when finished

7.click continue

8.clcik agree

9.select partition to install on and hit customize

10.select the following options

Select ->Chameleon_Boot_Loaders->Chameleon_RC4

Select ->Chameleon_Boot_Loaders->Bootx86

Select ->Chameleon_Options->EHCIacuire

Select ->Chameleon_Options->UHCI_reset

Select Kernel

Select ->Drivers->Graphic->Intel->GMA950

Select ->Drivers->Sound->VoodooHDA_0.2.7.2

Select ->Drivers->Network->Lan->Realtek->RTL8139

Select ->Drivers->Network->WLan->Broadcomfix

Select ->Drivers->Laptop->VoodooBattery

Select ->Drivers->Laptop->VoodooPS2trackpad

Select ->Patches->NTFS

Select ->Patches->usbfix

Select Additional_Fonts

Select X11

11. Click Ok

12. Click Install

13. wait About 15-20 minutes while installing

14. let the computer reboot and take out dvd

15. Follow the prompts till you get into osx

16.put in a flash drive with google "kext utility 32 bit" and iopcifamily.kext(attached) this one worked for me I found 5 that didn't work. this one was also from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1711895

17.drag kext file onto kext utility in finder

18.enter password into kext utility and let it do its thing till you see it say reboot

19. goto application folder and open disk utility and select the drive partition and click repair disk permissions

20.when that complete reboot

21.goto settings -> network.. and setup your soon to be detected airport card...

22.restart computer

23.enter bios with f10 again

24.re-enable sata and f10 to save..

25.Enjoy and Please share any kext files that help fix any unresolved issues

I really hope this helps someone..

wifi_IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Firstly thanks very much for the wonderful step-by-step information; worked great on my Presario C542EA; I expected quite a bit of grief but it worked first time. It's been an amazing help.

However, I'm having trouble with the sleep function - I'm asking because you mentioned it works to some extent; most other places I search for seem to be having the same problem as me? Whenever I send OS X to sleep (using Finder, I appreciate that the lid closing doesn't work) my notebook: goes to sleep, then the fan kicks in but I can't wake it? The only way I can start using my notebook again is to hold the power button (top middle) to force a hard reset.

I'm probably doing something stupid, or not done something etc. Perhaps it's my specific model number?

Thanks again,

J

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a Presario C500 1.86 that I am trying to get going, for now I would just like to see it boot to my flash drive.

And I am follow the EXCELLENT instructions that you have given, THANK YOU, also with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and Kakewalk, but the machine so far has not tried to boot to my flash.

It only has 512k of RAM and I am thinking this is the main problem ...

I have been wondering how much RAM does your machine have and if you have 4Gigs of RAM could you please tell me what kit allows you to take it this high ?

THANKS

Hi, I have a Presario C500 1.86 that I am trying to get going, for now I would just like to see it boot to my flash drive.

And I am follow the EXCELLENT instructions that you have given, THANK YOU, also with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and Kakewalk, but the machine so far has not tried to boot to my flash.

It only has 512k of RAM and I am thinking this is the main problem ...

I have been wondering how much RAM does your machine have and if you have 4Gigs of RAM could you please tell me what kit allows you to take it this high ?

THANKS

I have 1.5 gigs of ram in mine and it runs smooth enough to play a youtube video at a low resolution as the only app running.. ram is just going to mostly affect the speed of your system.. I dont remeber the specs on the max ram for the older c500's but when you figure that out id suggest you max it out, i'm guessing it most likely 2gb, i dont think the older ones support 4gb.. and i'm not aware of a kit for this one..

as for the booting from flash drive thing if i remember correctly it wasnt supported in my bios.. you may want to ensure you have the latest bios updates from compaq, I'm running the original bios firmware.. personally i dont like updating the bios, i've bricked a brand new motherboard by accident.. but its possible a newer version would support flash drive booting..

if you are just trying to test it out you can find a tiny old laptop hardrive on ebay for cheap just get at least a 20gb drive

good luck

I have 1.5 gigs of ram in mine and it runs smooth enough to play a youtube video at a low resolution as the only app running.. ram is just going to mostly affect the speed of your system.. I dont remeber the specs on the max ram for the older c500's but when you figure that out id suggest you max it out, i'm guessing it most likely 2gb, i dont think the older ones support 4gb.. and i'm not aware of a kit for this one..

as for the booting from flash drive thing if i remember correctly it wasnt supported in my bios.. you may want to ensure you have the latest bios updates from compaq, I'm running the original bios firmware.. personally i dont like updating the bios, i've bricked a brand new motherboard by accident.. but its possible a newer version would support flash drive booting..

if you are just trying to test it out you can find a tiny old laptop hardrive on ebay for cheap just get at least a 20gb drive

good luck

Thanks, so it looks like 2Gig is the max with 2x1G sims, but right after posting my question I looked at 10.6.6i again and found that it was not what I thought, so I am now trying to get that setup. I have been doing all my setups from a PPC Tiger Mac so it is a bit more difficult for me, but I will get a Win machine running soon and that will help.

Oooh, you have given me some good advice, it means I can add one 1G sim for only $18 to get it going and go to 2G latter.

My BIOS is Pheonix, F.13, it has a bunch of choices for boot, while the many other options yours shows is missing in mine. It seemed to do nothing but when I took the harddrive out then I started to get a choice from a list of whatever was attached and it calls the flash drive a USB HD so that part seems to be working.

I have a USB HD with Snow Leopard that I will use to run it.

I notice looking in the HAZARD forum it is the only setup that has been used with Atom, so my guess is Celeron is also far enough from Intel i3 to require the Hazard setup and not Kakewalk.

If I can get this working then I will probably buy a PC laptop to Hacintosh for my full time MACchine.

So I will just keep on plugging away, I am not interested in running 10.7 just yet, the Big Brother aspects of that OS is a little bit greater then I would like right now. Some HOT Babe needs to do a hammer throw into that mesmerizing Lion screen until APPLE makes some guaranties about privacy !!!

THANK YOU

Thanks, so it looks like 2Gig is the max with 2x1G sims, but right after posting my question I looked at 10.6.6i again and found that it was not what I thought, so I am now trying to get that setup. I have been doing all my setups from a PPC Tiger Mac so it is a bit more difficult for me, but I will get a Win machine running soon and that will help.

Oooh, you have given me some good advice, it means I can add one 1G sim for only $18 to get it going and go to 2G latter.

My BIOS is Pheonix, F.13, it has a bunch of choices for boot, while the many other options yours shows is missing in mine. It seemed to do nothing but when I took the harddrive out then I started to get a choice from a list of whatever was attached and it calls the flash drive a USB HD so that part seems to be working.

I have a USB HD with Snow Leopard that I will use to run it.

I notice looking in the HAZARD forum it is the only setup that has been used with Atom, so my guess is Celeron is also far enough from Intel i3 to require the Hazard setup and not Kakewalk.

If I can get this working then I will probably buy a PC laptop to Hacintosh for my full time MACchine.

So I will just keep on plugging away, I am not interested in running 10.7 just yet, the Big Brother aspects of that OS is a little bit greater then I would like right now. Some HOT Babe needs to do a hammer throw into that mesmerizing Lion screen until APPLE makes some guaranties about privacy !!!

THANK YOU

i never tried kakewalk, or 10.7 yet.. but along time ago I tried on another system the whole booting from ext usb think just expect anything from usb to be very slow, but usually youtube has a lot of little walk throughs for the usb stuff

as for a update on it sleep issues, if you tell it to sleep it will completely sleep only when the lid is closed i guess its some kind of sensor in the lid preventing it, go figure.

if you are looking for any hardware recommendations at one time if not still the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method supposedly runs well for sse3 compatible processors, of course its best to ensure the rest of the hardware is compatible, especially in a laptop as only a few ever made had replaceable video cards, and the majority doesnt.

I feel a little out of touch on all this stuff now, since I used this, Ive bought a macbook and imac my apple experience

has been a interesting one. the macbook i bought at a bestbuy, it was always overheating from day one geek squad commented they all run really hot, so i starting to figure it was just sensitive to being left on the bed like some of sony vaios. I bought a cooling mat and the problems mostly went away. 6 months later i was ripping some dvds and in 30 minutes it would overheat on the mat, so i pried it open and a few dozen screws later I found a block of foam from the factory glued in the fan housing blocking the fans movement. i took a few photos and emailed them to apple and got no response. next time I buy hardware it might be a pc, its so much easier to upgrade a pc then any mac, im just glad to see the macbook was easier then the g3 ibook. with steve jobs now gone it seems like the new ceo is working on improving hardware quality, I've seen a couple recalls/replacements lately on was affected macbook chargers the other was 1st gen ipod nano. i'll wait and see the apple forums after a few more product releases. under steve jobs several thousand customer experienced issues that apple failed to help fix. how long did it take for them to agree to fix the iphone 4s signal issues.

I still have the c500 running it works very well my current os uptime is 30 days without restarting or turning off

last restart was for some travel. the age is starting to hit my c500, the battery only gets me like 30 minutes almost a yr ago i replaced the lcd and a larger harddrive so i might upgrade the original battery.

Auh, YES the wiles of flashing the P-RAM/BIOS nothing is more thrilling then risking the equipment !!!

Here is some info that might make your typing fingers tingle or ACKE, a current BIOS upgrage path that includes my F13 and your F6 version and if you read the enhancement notes it seems to indicate that sleep problems that many are experiencing are BIOS bugs. I do know that for YEARS any Compaq laptop that I put to sleep FROZE whenever I tried to wake it up, the user ALWAYS denying any problems what so ever with machines, of course. For MANY years sleep just did not work on PCs, although Macs often had the same problems, not always ...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...73-1&mode=5

Notice, that in the same database if I search on, version F 16, it says support for Celeron processors, DOES THAT MEAN BOTH YOUR AND MY MACHINE HAVE LONG BEEN RUN WITHOUT SPECIFIC SUPPORT FOR THE PROCESSOR, PCs are soo STRANGE !!?!?!?!?

CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP, battery on Amazon to your door $20.50, with good reviews ...

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-PRESARIO-Pav...f=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

• 1 year later...

I just want to share this somewhere as it took to long for me to get snow leopard on my Compaq C500

Maybe someone else will find this on google or here.. it might work on others with similar hardware like the c300

leave a reply if your hardware worked with this kext file for wifi

Installing Hazzard 10.6.6i on a Compaq C500

Warnings:

This Worked and was tested on a Compaq Presario C500 1.73ghz processor

this device shipped with some different configurations and in general this will work for most. DO NOT USE THIS and close the lid to the computer when on, it will not sleep automatically. To Sleep click sleep in the menu. not Doing so may result in hardware overheating, which isn't good right.

What doesn't work:

Sleep when lids is closed(only menu driven sleep cmd works)

Microphone doesn't work

ONLY scrolling portion of trackpad(basic mouse functions work)

Apple's 10.6.8 update

Instructions:

1. During Startup hit f10 to go into bios

2. Disable sata and also make sure boot order is cd before harddrive f10 to save

3. insert 10.6.6i dvd and let boot this will take about 5 minutes to load up

4.select language, and click arrow

5.goto utilities and disk utility to partition your drive

6.disk utility->quit in the menu when finished

7.click continue

8.clcik agree

9.select partition to install on and hit customize

10.select the following options

Select ->Chameleon_Boot_Loaders->Chameleon_RC4

Select ->Chameleon_Boot_Loaders->Bootx86

Select ->Chameleon_Options->EHCIacuire

Select ->Chameleon_Options->UHCI_reset

Select Kernel

Select ->Drivers->Graphic->Intel->GMA950

Select ->Drivers->Sound->VoodooHDA_0.2.7.2

Select ->Drivers->Network->Lan->Realtek->RTL8139

Select ->Drivers->Network->WLan->Broadcomfix

Select ->Drivers->Laptop->VoodooBattery

Select ->Drivers->Laptop->VoodooPS2trackpad

Select ->Patches->NTFS

Select ->Patches->usbfix

Select Additional_Fonts

Select X11

11. Click Ok

12. Click Install

13. wait About 15-20 minutes while installing

14. let the computer reboot and take out dvd

15. Follow the prompts till you get into osx

16.put in a flash drive with google "kext utility 32 bit" and iopcifamily.kext(attached) this one worked for me I found 5 that didn't work. this one was also from http://www.insanelym...p;#entry1711895

17.drag kext file onto kext utility in finder

18.enter password into kext utility and let it do its thing till you see it say reboot

19. goto application folder and open disk utility and select the drive partition and click repair disk permissions

20.when that complete reboot

21.goto settings -> network.. and setup your soon to be detected airport card...

22.restart computer

23.enter bios with f10 again

24.re-enable sata and f10 to save..

25.Enjoy and Please share any kext files that help fix any unresolved issues

I really hope this helps someone..

thanks man this really helped me, though i wonder if i could run lion on it

• 1 month later...