ATI Radeon 6970 - Anybody get it to work in Snow?

tehg33k

7 posts in this topic

I'm making a Sandy Bridge Hackintosh using am p67a-ud3-b3 mb and I cannot seem to get any display using my ATI 6970 card.

I have been reading around the net and have seen mixed results with getting this card to work...My question is, has anybody made it to the desktop using this card, and if so, do they have full resolution?

I'm making a Sandy Bridge Hackintosh using am p67a-ud3-b3 mb and I cannot seem to get any display using my ATI 6970 card.

I have been reading around the net and have seen mixed results with getting this card to work...My question is, has anybody made it to the desktop using this card, and if so, do they have full resolution?

Yes but with no acceleration.

(backup your existing boot file first just in case this ends in tears) then download and copy the following bootfile to your boot drive http://www.mediafire.com/?3o8jsh87up78rv7,

make sure you are using the following ATI kexts from Lion GM,

ATIRadeonX3000.kext,

ATISupport.kext,

ATIFramebuffer.kext and

ATI6000Controller.kext

rename or delete the ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle from S/L/E and delete your cache before booting

Boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (either as a boot flag or in com.apple.Boot.plist)

P.S - I'm using a 6970 in both 10.6.8 and Lion Gm @ 1080p (no acceleration though so fairly crippled).

Yes but with no acceleration.

(backup your existing boot file first just in case this ends in tears) then download and copy the following bootfile to your boot drive http://www.mediafire.com/?3o8jsh87up78rv7,

make sure you are using the following ATI kexts from Lion GM,

ATIRadeonX3000.kext,

ATISupport.kext,

ATIFramebuffer.kext and

ATI6000Controller.kext

rename or delete the ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle from S/L/E and delete your cache before booting

Boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (either as a boot flag or in com.apple.Boot.plist)

P.S - I'm using a 6970 in both 10.6.8 and Lion Gm @ 1080p (no acceleration though so fairly crippled).

I just tried that and now I have a white screen.. any thoughts? I'm running it on 10.6.8.. my process was (because I couldnt get to the desktop, it was just a blue screen) plugging my SSD (boot drive) into my macbook via sata to usb adapter.. do what you said with the kexts and the boot files.. and then I ran pfix on that drive to repair permissions. Plugged the drive back in and booted it up in verobse.. after verbose i get a white screen.

Ok, I get to a white screen with a cursor only when I put with -x and then I press my power button and it sleeps.. i press it again and it comes back from sleep and bam my screen is there..

So 1. How to get it working without going into safe mode and waking it from sleep..

Or 2. How difficult is it right now to install Lion GM (I got a copy of the installer ready on a USB drive) and should I just go ahead and try going that route?

Thanks, you da man!

-tehg33k

Ok, I get to a white screen with a cursor only when I put with -x and then I press my power button and it sleeps.. i press it again and it comes back from sleep and bam my screen is there..

So 1. How to get it working without going into safe mode and waking it from sleep..

Or 2. How difficult is it right now to install Lion GM (I got a copy of the installer ready on a USB drive) and should I just go ahead and try going that route?

Thanks, you da man!

-tehg33k

Make sure you deleted or renamed the ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle and make sure that you delete the cache from /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

The boot file you posted aboves gives an error on my rig.

Memory allocation error! Addr = 0xdeadbeef, Size = 0x0, File=ati.c, Line = 735
This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!

edit: found that this error doesn't show up if a resolution is specified in com.apple.Boot.plist , but system will halt a few seconds later after detection of the ATI cards.

• 2 weeks later...