DLINK DWA 556 LION

Hangten

18 posts in this topic

I almost had a nerdgasm until I read that it doesn't support the 5GHz band only the 2.4 range even for the wireless n

I'm just trying to find a reason to use the 5 GHz band on my airport extreme base station since 2.4 is so saturated nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...
Hangten I have a small wifi usb stick which works well - but I dont get the AirPort icon on the menu bar. Thing is the stick is recognesed as "Belkin F5D7050" and not exactly as Airport so I guess that's why.

Do you get the airport icon in your setup?

Yes, I get the AirPort icon on the menu bar.

"Macs that support AirDrop in OS X Lion

The following list shows the earliest of each Mac model type that is supported. If your Mac is the same, or newer than the model listed, then it supports AirDrop.

MacBookPro (Late 2008 or newer)

MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)

MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)

iMac (Early 2009 or newer)

Mac Mini (Mid 2010 or newer)

Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)"

Im investigating this for sure!

Try playing with your SMBios and use a newer iMac or MBP identifier and see how that works out.

SMbios.jpg

comsidebarplist.jpg

Here's what I tried:

*Clean install with smbios.plist to whats pictured above. First boot filled out all info (apple ID)

*com.apple.sidebarlists.plist to see if its present. Yes its there

*Your hardware needs to support being used in ad-hoc and infrastructure mode simultaneously. Yours does not support this. AirDrop does not use the local network at all" credit to CyBeRino macrumors

This problem is also occurring for models that have full supporting wifi chipsets also... very strange

I'm going to try a different Chameleon also.

About.com:

Question: What is Ad-Hoc Mode in Wireless Networking?

Answer: On wireless computer networks, ad-hoc mode is a method for wireless devices to directly communicate with each other. Operating in ad-hoc mode allows all wireless devices within range of each other to discover and communicate in peer-to-peer fashion without involving central access points (including those built in to broadband wireless routers).

To set up an ad-hoc wireless network, each wireless adapter must be configured for ad-hoc mode versus the alternative infrastructure mode. In addition, all wireless adapters on the ad-hoc network must use the same SSID and the same channel number.

An ad-hoc network tends to feature a small group of devices all in very close proximity to each other. Performance suffers as the number of devices grows, and a large ad-hoc network quickly becomes difficult to manage. Ad-hoc networks cannot bridge to wired LANs or to the Internet without installing a special-purpose gateway.

Ad hoc networks make sense when needing to build a small, all-wireless LAN quickly and spend the minimum amount of money on equipment. Ad hoc networks also work well as a temporary fallback mechanism if normally-available infrastructure mode gear (access points or routers) stop functioning.

Edited by Hangten

• 4 weeks later...

I'm loving this discussion. I installed Lion GM on my GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard and used some cheap EdiMAX USB Wireless-N adapter, but now I bought the DWA-556 and I can't wait to have a stable connection. You guys are saying that it works OOB and that I don't have to worry about any kexts? And....if the OOB thing is true then can I use the AirPort Utility to connect to wireless?? I appreciate any help with this. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I can also confirm that DWA-556 works OOB with OS X Lion. ;)

The reception on this card is not so great, but it works!

I use the gigabyte ex58-ud5 motherboard and after I installed the wireless card I cant wake up my computer from sleep with my keyboard or mouse. Only by pushing the button on my case.

Anyone else with this "problem"?

Cheers!

Edit: Solved! By using the USB directly to the case and not the hub solved the problem!

• 6 months later...

hello everyone,

i'm trying to get my dwa-556 to get detected by my dell xps 420. i'm on lion 10.7.3. i've isolated all of my non-vanilla kext, but it still won't get detected.

the verbose boot shows this error

applesmbuspci start failed to get acpi path for provider

error: offset_0x100=0xfffffff

start [/sourcecache/airportdriveratheros9380/airportdriveratheros9380-430.14.9src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/atheroscontroller.cpp:962] load failed

i've put the card in a gateway gm5626 with a fresh lion install (10.7.0), and the card was detected OOB as it should be. the thing that i notice is when i boot from my usb installer, the card was still loaded fine on the gateway. but on my dell it won't load either way, from usb boot or within the os. so i'm thinking it's the xps 420 itself that doesn't work with the dwa-556? since the usb boot doesn't have anything conflicting. i've also tried different atherosfix.kext, but it still doesn't work.

some kext i'm using right now are [ intel82566mm, voodoohda, elliottforcelegacyRTC]

please help me isolate this problem.

Hangten I have a small wifi usb stick which works well - but I dont get the AirPort icon on the menu bar. Thing is the stick is recognesed as "Belkin F5D7050" and not exactly as Airport so I guess that's why.

same here but i have the BELKIN N F5D8053