P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies..

^Andy^

654 posts in this topic

Hi all, some of you may already know me from the boot cd's and installation packages that I have built for the Asus P8P67 series of motherboards.

Today I would like to share my fairly idiot proof method of building a Lion installation and repair bootable usb stick for Asus P8P67Pro and P8P67 based systems now that lion has reached gold master.

You will need 4 things in order to build this usb stick successfully..

1 - A usb stick (or drive) large enough to contain the contents of the instal image (4 gig should do)

2 - A downloaded copy of the 'Install Mac OS X Lion.app',

3 - An Extra folder specifically for the Lion installer usb stick/drive http://www.mediafire.com/?bolj08pj5s4hcl0

4 - The installation package from the latest AndyBoot CD for either the P8P67Sabertooth, P8P67Pro or P8P67 available from the links below:-

P8P67Sabertooth http://www.mediafire.com/?uahydjc0koyyuvk

P8P67Pro http://www.mediafire.com/?ytr7cp3gh46ovka

P8P67 http://www.mediafire.com/?a1y7rgrxy3ems8c

1 - First step (pretty obvious) Boot into Snow Leopard,

2 - Use disk utility to format your USB stick or drive as mac os extended with GUID partition table,

3 - right click 'Install Mac OS X Lion.app' and select 'show contents',

4 - double click the 'Contents/SharedSupport' folder to open it in finder,

5 - Run ShowAllFiles (to show hidden files),

6 - right click the 'InstallESD.dmg' and select 'open with disk image mounter',

7 - right click on the hidden 'BaseSystem.dmg' and select 'open with disk utility',

8 - In disk utility look to the bottom left to find 'BaseSystem.dmg', right click it and select 'Restore',

9 - Drag your formatted USB stick or drive into the 'destination' box, untick 'erase destination' and click 'Restore',

10 - Go for a beer, coffee or whatever takes your fancy as this will take a while!

11 - Once restore is complete go to the system, installation folder on the usb stick or drive and delete the 'Packages' alias

12 - right click 'Install Mac OS X Lion.app' (from step 3) again and once again click 'show package contents'

13 - reopen the 'SharedSupport' folder

14 - Double click the 'InstallESD.dmg' to mount it

15 - Copy the 'Packages' folder from the 'MacOS X Install ESD' folder that should automatically open in finder over to the system, installation folder on your usb stick or drive to replace the alias that you deleted in step 9,

16 - run ShowAllFiles (to see hidden files) and copy the 'mach_kernel' from the 'MacOS X Install ESD' folder above to the root of your USB stick or drive,

17 - copy the Extra folder downloaded above to the root of the usb stick/drive,

18 - run the andyboot5 package relevant to your motherboard and select your usb stick or drive as the target,

19 - Congratulations your USB stick or drive should now be bootable and allow you to install lion!

20 - Don't forget after installing lion to run whichever andyboot5 package that you used on the usb stick again to install the contents onto your hard disk and make the system bootable!

Good Luck all :D

• Like 2

6 - In disk utility look to the bottom left to find 'InstallESD.dmg', right click it and select 'Restore',

Should step 6 be InstallESD.dmg or BaseSystem.dmg? Asking because there is no /System/Installation/Packages link in InstallESD but is on BaseSystem. Additionally, I've successfully done this with BaseSystem in earlier releases of Lion.

Should step 6 be InstallESD.dmg or BaseSystem.dmg? Asking because there is no /System/Installation/Packages link in InstallESD but is on BaseSystem. Additionally, I've successfully done this with BaseSystem in earlier releases of Lion.

Yes my bad :) post updated :)

Hi Andy thks for you work :)

2 questions:

1 -When Lion start the installation, give the option to upgrade from old SL?

2- Any chance to make guide to X58A - UD3R (with installation files) :)

Thanks

Andy you are the man!

Just updated my system from SL to Lion absolutely hassle free with your guide, no need to install from scratch!

a23ac4.jpg

Just need to fix the HDMI audio and TRIM for the SSD, but the rest looks okay so far.

Thanks a bunch. :)

Edit: all works now, just had to need to fix permissions. I'm happy now. :)

Hi,

guess I am a super-dummy .. :(

I did all as told but the stick don´t boots, stuck on a black screen with non blinking white cursor top left before any bootloader appears.

P8P67 Pro, i2600k.

Tried Disk warrior 4.2 on the stick, no succes.

Any Idea?

Thanks! :blink:

1 -When Lion start the installation, give the option to upgrade from old SL?

Presumably you can just install over the top of an existing slow leopard installation without erasing the drive first - I've not tried this so can't verify if that is the case or not (I only did a clean install).

2- Any chance to make guide to X58A - UD3R (with installation files) :(

'fraid not because I would have no way to test it!

Presumably you can just install over the top of an existing slow leopard installation without erasing the drive first - I've not tried this so can't verify if that is the case or not (I only did a clean install).

'fraid not because I would have no way to test it!

1 - yes you right, i successful upgrade my SL yestarday. just install over the top of my SL 10.6.8 (seems like with the 10.6.7 partition dont give the option to upgrade)

2- eheh sure, i did it myself, at end was very easy. I think the only thing now its broken its the know cmos reset after wake from sleep. Strange thing i never had any prob with sleep in SL.

I followed your method to make the lion usb stick but for some reason I can't get it to boot I see all the files copied to the usb stick when i open it from desktop. Am i missing some boot files somewhere like a boot iamge

On these steps

"6 - In disk utility look to the bottom left to find 'BaseSystem.dmg', right click it and select 'Restore',

7 - Drag your formatted USB stick or drive into the 'destination' box, untick 'erase destination' and click 'Restore',"

When I click restore the "Source" box is empty, I assume I drag basesystem.dmg into source?

Also, when you get to the step of copying the extra folder to the USB stick, do you replace the one that was installed by the AndyBoot package, or do you add the files to that folder?

Thanks for your boot loader and next files. I have one problem though. Bluetooth seems to make problems in combination with a magic trackpad. The trackpad is working only partially. You can use it like a normal mouse but as soon as it comes to the gestures it locks up for a moment and launches then the gesture...pretty unusable right now. Any idea why this happens?

Everything else seems to work even my Geforce GTX 570 works now with QE&CI.

Not sure if you'll be able to help since I used a combination of methods Andy, but hoping you'll have an idea. I never managed to get a bootable USB drive using your instructions, so I followed the instructions in this thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=259068

Just up to the mkboot command that made the USB stick. I then did the lion install, and when it booted I used your AndyBoot package. Installed great, I'm booting up fine off the hard drive, internet works, only thing that I'm having a problem with is Audio. If I go to about this mac/more info/system report, it shows 2 Intel HD Audios, one just says Audio ID 892, the 2nd has that and a list of outputs. Under Sound preferences though, the only option for output is my ACD's built in speakers. Any ideas?

Edit: Ok, I tried to reinstall your package to see if that might help. I heard my speakers pop on, went into sound preferences and all my outputs were there. Picked the right one, everything was working great......restarted the computer and it's back the way it was, all the output options are gone and my only sound option is the ACD.

Hi,

guess I am a super-dummy .. :)

I did all as told but the stick don´t boots, stuck on a black screen with non blinking white cursor top left before any bootloader appears.

P8P67 Pro, i2600k.

Any Idea?

Thanks! :P

Same here, same system. Here is my work around:

I cloned my install to another drive before doing the lion upgrade. I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to boot into that install and ran Andy's post installer package pointed at my new Lion install, rebooted and boom. Aside from that hiccup all went swimmingly. Thanks Andy!

Genius giving us the Bluetooth support Andy, if you don't have a magic trackpad for Lion its totally worth it!

Thanks for your boot loader and next files. I have one problem though. Bluetooth seems to make problems in combination with a magic trackpad. The trackpad is working only partially. You can use it like a normal mouse but as soon as it comes to the gestures it locks up for a moment and launches then the gesture...pretty unusable right now. Any idea why this happens?

Everything else seems to work even my Geforce GTX 570 works now with QE&CI.

Valmar... thanks for confirming that this is not just me! I have been having the same problem with my Magic trackpad in Lion since I first did this with earlier DR releases. I never posted anything because I chalked it up to a bug with the betas but it was driving me crazy! I'm glad (not really) to see that this may be something we can patch eventually. I might hook up my Magic to a real Mac just to verify once and for all that its the BT driver and not the OS integration itself.

I have noticed that the 2-second lock seems to be if I'm moving the cursor and an extra finger accidentally grazes the pad.

Valmar... thanks for confirming that this is not just me! I have been having the same problem with my Magic trackpad in Lion since I first did this with earlier DR releases. I never posted anything because I chalked it up to a bug with the betas but it was driving me crazy! I'm glad (not really) to see that this may be something we can patch eventually. I might hook up my Magic to a real Mac just to verify once and for all that its the BT driver and not the OS integration itself.

I have noticed that the 2-second lock seems to be if I'm moving the cursor and an extra finger accidentally grazes the pad.

I just tried another BT Dongle which I bought for my old mainboard. It is from Hama and what can I say...the trackpad is indeed working like it should be. So the problem right now is the build in BT. Maybe someone can figure out what the problem is so we do not need an extra dongle.

Another thing. Is anybody able to use team viewer or can at least try it? Just try to open it because it says that my connection is invalid. Basically they have some kind of detection of Hackintosh computers and I do not know how I can fix this and I use Teamviewer very often to help friends when they have problems.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your files and protocols. I used your method for an install of 10.6.8, and then today I updated it with your Lion GM boot USB protocol. It worked very smoothly, and installed faster than most programs. It booted straight away without the need to run your install program again! All is good - nice and speedy. Facetime does not work (doesn't load) and a few random KP's when booting or shutting down, but nothing consistent.

The only problem I have is no sound... Any suggestions on how to get it again????

Cheers!

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your files and protocols. I used your method for an install of 10.6.8, and then today I updated it with your Lion GM boot USB protocol. It worked very smoothly, and installed faster than most programs. It booted straight away without the need to run your install program again! All is good - nice and speedy. Facetime does not work (doesn't load) and a few random KP's when booting or shutting down, but nothing consistent.

The only problem I have is no sound... Any suggestions on how to get it again????

Cheers!

Quick update - ran HDA Rollback via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and now have full audio once again.

System runs great - cheers Andy!

Hi andy, thanks for the tutorial.. my sabertooth p67 is running now Lion !

Couple of questions.

1- is the speed step working whit this ?

2-the kernel cache feature can be enable ? ( how )

Thanks !

Hi andy, thanks for the tutorial.. my sabertooth p67 is running now Lion !

Couple of questions.

1- is the speed step working whit this ?

2-the kernel cache feature can be enable ? ( how )

Thanks !

Speedstep - no or at least not as far as I know,

KernelCache - yes should be working, add a UseKernelCache key to your com.apple.Boot.plist and set it to yes. You may need to boot with -f the first time after you add this flag if it doesn;t load properly.

Hi,

guess I am a super-dummy .. :)

P8P67 Pro, i2600k.

Any Idea?

Thanks! :)

Have you managed to boot using this same usb stick previously?

How are you booting from the usb stick - are you using f8 at startup to select the boot drive?

Are you sure you ran the package selecting the usb drive as the target?

Did you remember to copy the contents of the downloaded 'Extra' folder to the 'Extra' folder on the usb drive?

Tried twice now, and like ateam I'm not ending up with a bootable USB stick. Any ideas where we're going wrong?

Are you remembering to download the linked Extra folder and copy its contents to the Extra on the usb drive?

It booted straight away without the need to run your install program again!

That's why you have no sound, running the install package would have fixed that :D

On these steps

"6 - In disk utility look to the bottom left to find 'BaseSystem.dmg', right click it and select 'Restore',

7 - Drag your formatted USB stick or drive into the 'destination' box, untick 'erase destination' and click 'Restore',"

When I click restore the "Source" box is empty, I assume I drag basesystem.dmg into source?

For me the source box was prepopulated with the 'BaseSystem.dmg' file name after right clicking and selecting restore however if it isn't then just drag the file into the source box.

Also, when you get to the step of copying the extra folder to the USB stick, do you replace the one that was installed by the AndyBoot package, or do you add the files to that folder?

You need to add them, I have switched the order of steps 15 and 16 in the guide now to avoid the confusion - thanks for spotting that!

Not sure if you'll be able to help since I used a combination of methods Andy, but hoping you'll have an idea. I never managed to get a bootable USB drive using your instructions, so I followed the instructions in this thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=259068

Just up to the mkboot command that made the USB stick. I then did the lion install, and when it booted I used your AndyBoot package. Installed great, I'm booting up fine off the hard drive, internet works, only thing that I'm having a problem with is Audio. If I go to about this mac/more info/system report, it shows 2 Intel HD Audios, one just says Audio ID 892, the 2nd has that and a list of outputs. Under Sound preferences though, the only option for output is my ACD's built in speakers. Any ideas?

Edit: Ok, I tried to reinstall your package to see if that might help. I heard my speakers pop on, went into sound preferences and all my outputs were there. Picked the right one, everything was working great......restarted the computer and it's back the way it was, all the output options are gone and my only sound option is the ACD.

Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and install the audio kexts for ALC892 (follow Andy's post in the original P8P67 Pro Install guide). I am just repeating Andy's post: Check System Utilities, and in Audio kexts check ALC8xxHDA, AppleHDARollback, and in Non-DSDT HDAEnabler check ALC892 (assuming you have the Pro Board). You can also install the NEC USB3.0 kexts in case they are not already enabled using Andy's package. Reboot after install.

Andy i wonder if you can help i installed Lion from your Tut and it works like a charm problem is i can't load parallels

actually parallels installs but win 7 won't it says can't load parallels driver something about intel virtual men in bios which i enabled

any ideas its parallels ver 6.0

thanks

Thank you Andy!! Smooth install from a bootable USB to a desktop.

Without GraphicsEnabler my Reference 6870 was NOT automatically recognized. Is that the experience of others?

DVD player was crashing and no ripples when adding new widgets in Dashboard. Setting GraphicsEnabler=Yes and the card is recognized as a 6870! DVD player works. However, still no ripples on adding widgets. Any help would be appreciated. ioreg shows that the Duckweed framebuffer was loaded. Thank you.