Question on installing kexts from windows

13 posts in this topic

I have the infamous "still waiting for root device" error on a recent SnowLeo install and I have found a kext that SHOULD solve that problem.

My questions are:

Can I install the kext from Windows?

Where would the files be placed?

Do permissions need to be modified?

AND how do I get OSX to use that kext on the next boot?

EDIT: I do have Macdrive so I can access the OSX partition through Windows.

You can't install kernel extensions to /System/Library/Extensions from Windows because you will not be able to set the correct permissions and ownership. OS X will complain about wrong permissions/ownership and skip loading the kernel extension.

If your kernel extension works from /Extra/Extensions you'll be fine, kexts that load from there will work regardless of permissions and ownership.

Renaming a .zip archive to .kext does not make it a kernel extension, if you do that it will not work.

On Windows, kexts will look like folders (because that's what they are).

On OS X you can easily verify yourself that this is true by CD'ing into a kext like you would a folder:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

cd NVDAResman.kext

ls

(you will see the "contents" folder inside the kext)

bingo.

Uploaded the zip and after showing the extension is still doesn't appear as a .kext

What's irritating is that it does load the OSX dvd and install just fine (while recognizing the drive) and on reboot it can't find the root drive.

On the latest attempt to boot the OSX dvd however, it keeps giving me a "SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, etc, etc".....did my dvd just mess up?

AppleATIATA_7.zip