NVidia 7600 GS, gray screen on boot need help!

abkratch

6 posts in this topic

Hello insanelymac!

I am having quote a bit of trouble enabling full resolution and QE CI on an nvidia gefore 7600... I am running Lion dp2 and can boot without native resolution, but if I install NVenabler.kext, or flag graphics enabler=yes on startup, all I see is a solid gray screen with no cursor. It stays like that and does not continue. Is there any known solution to this problem at the moment? I am running Chameleon RC5 as my boot loader.

Thanks!

abkratch

Hello insanelymac!

I am having quote a bit of trouble enabling full resolution and QE CI on an nvidia gefore 7600... I am running Lion dp2 and can boot without native resolution, but if I install NVenabler.kext, or flag graphics enabler=yes on startup, all I see is a solid gray screen with no cursor. It stays like that and does not continue. Is there any known solution to this problem at the moment? I am running Chameleon RC5 as my boot loader.

Thanks!

abkratch

Delete NVEnabler.kext and try with Natit.kext. That worked for me. I have nVidia GeForce 8600 GT

Isn't Lion 64-bit only? I have no idea really.

If so you can't use a 7xxx series card, there are no 64-bit drivers for those since 10.6.3. Unless that has somehow magically changed with Lion but that wouldn't make much sense from a business standpoint. As far as I know, all 7xxx cards and earlier (for Mac) have 32-bit EFI firmware only so it would make no sense for nvidia or Apple to provide 64-bit drivers for them. That is, if I'm understanding correctly how it works.

If Lion is not 64-bit only, then you are in luck, all you need to do is boot it in 32-bit kernel and drivers mode.

• 1 year later...