Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tribi

GMA945 ram

6 posts in this topic

i would like to know if there is any way to increase the amount of ram of a GMA945 in a dell E1405

Advertisement

Sometimes if you add more system memory, it will let the graphics have more too, so try to upgrade your main system RAM first (if you aren't already at max).

The problem is two folded:

First is how it is set in BIOS (some BIOSs has option to change RAM size for on-board VGA, some doesn't).

Second is how much an OS can handle. On the same hardware different OS might support different amount. For instance on my HP notebook, with GMA950 graphics, OS X can handle 64Mb max. On the same notebook Windows can use up to 128Mb.

So it is more like OS/chipset limitation.

The amount is hardcoded in Intel Framebuffer Kext and will override the FB and Shared Memory size if it gets loaded.

The amount is hardcoded in Intel Framebuffer Kext and will override the FB and Shared Memory size if it gets loaded.

Hmmm, I wonder... Is there a way someone can hack into the FBKext (Hex Edit or some other way) and increase it up to 128? Because I remember now Windows likes 128 and Macs only like 64 on 950's.

Only a thought.