Freeze at "patching mach_kernel"

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've installed the Hazard distro of SL 10.6.6 on my netbook, and quite everything seems to be fine; I've been even able of patching the GMA 3150, so now I can change the monitor resolution.

I was trying to set up my WiFi card (Atheros AR9285), and I've read the the new "IO80211 family kext" would solve the problem. So I installed it, using Kext Utility.

But then, everytime I try to boot, it suddenly freezes at "patching mach_Kernel" .. what should I do??

Tipo processore Intel Atom N450, 1666 MHz (10 x 167)

Nome scheda madre THD PX1

Chipset scheda madre Intel Tiger Point NM10, Intel Pineview-M

DIMM1: 1 GB DDR3-800 DDR3

Acceleratore 3D Intel GMA 3150

Periferica audio Realtek ALC662

Adattatore di rete Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

Adattatore di rete Realtek RTL8102E

I was trying to set up my WiFi card (Atheros AR9285), and I've read the the new "IO80211 family kext" would solve the problem. So I installed it, using Kext Utility.

But then, everytime I try to boot, it suddenly freezes at "patching mach_Kernel" .. what should I do??

Where did you get this "new" IO80211Family.kext? The one I find requires 10.6.7. You are running OSX 10.6.6.

Try booting in safe mode (-x) and see if you can successfully boot. If so, then it is probably the change you made to IO80211Family.kext. In that case, either upgrade to 10.6.7 or find a different fix for your wireless.

Here is the posting containing "new" IO80211Family.kext for 10.6.7: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1682986

Thread discussing ways to get AR9285 working including using IO80211Family.kext from 10.6.5 and modifying Info.plist. Read entire thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234570

Thank for the answer, of course I'll give a look to the threads you posted!

By the way, assuming that I need to upgrade to 10.6.7, how can I do that?

Just download and run the MacComboUpdate or what?

The combo update is the way to go EXCEPT: many if not all of the patched kexts you applied from Hazard will get overridden with "vanilla" kexts. You should determine which ones you patched in Hazard (the ones you selected in Customize), save a copy of those patched kexts, apply the combo update and then restore the patched copies.

The combo update is the way to go EXCEPT: many if not all of the patched kexts you applied from Hazard will get overridden with "vanilla" kexts. You should determine which ones you patched in Hazard (the ones you selected in Customize), save a copy of those patched kexts, apply the combo update and then restore the patched copies.

Ok, I've read the thread talking about custom IO80211family Kext to use on 10.6.6. I'll try this first and then, if I still have problems, I'll try the update thing.

Thanks for the help :)

Last question: when you say "copy the patched kext", do you mean copy them from S/L/E on a USB stick and then, after upgrading, re-copyng them in S/L/E?

Last question: when you say "copy the patched kext", do you mean copy them from S/L/E on a USB stick and then, after upgrading, re-copyng them in S/L/E?

You can do that or just copy them in /S/L/E to a different name so they don't get overwritten:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo cp -Rfp some.kext some.kext.copy

I went one step further.. I tried to use the modified IO80211Family kext posted on that thread, and it immediately worked: my AirPort started working, and it found and connected to my WiFi.

Everything fine.

But, as soon as I rebooted, I once again got stuck at "patching mach_kernel"

Do you think that I need to try the update thing?

I don't know if this can help, but:

in order to fix my monitor resolution (because I have a GMA 3150, which usually is stuck at 800x600), I used this tool:

http://www.meklort.com/?p=137

maybe is this the reason of freezing?

At now, I "must choose" between monitor resolution and Wireless: that is, if I run the NetBook Installer I get monitor resolution, but I lost WiFi card; otherwise, if I install DeviceMergeNub_atheros.kext (as suggested at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234570)

I get WiFi working but resolution stuck at 800x600

This is quite frustrating :)

Any solution?

Hello!

I have a macbook air like netbook (white, with "speedz" written on the lid) and I'm trying to get it working correctly.

Problem is that I don't have lot of time any more to work on it. So could you tell me please what you did to install with hazard (I have some little problems on vanilla install with alc662 and sleep [+ gma3150 and wifi] [i saw somewhere that sleep worked fine with hazard but not with retail dvd, I don't understand why])

My specs are exactly the same as you except wifi and ethernet.

Thank you very much in advance!

At now, I "must choose" between monitor resolution and Wireless: that is, if I run the NetBook Installer I get monitor resolution, but I lost WiFi card; otherwise, if I install DeviceMergeNub_atheros.kext (as suggested at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234570)

I get WiFi working but resolution stuck at 800x600

This is quite frustrating :D

or whatever your screen resolution is. Make sure to save it on desktop, untick the "save as txt when no extensions" and make sure to add .plist at the end of the file name. Then drag to /Extra and overwrite. Reboot and it should work.

Any solution?

This worked for me to get 1366x768 resolution. Edit your com.Apple.Boot.plist and add this:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>