[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Yes, the three kexts from Wen1's original post work perfectly in 10.6.8. Try to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or KextHelper to install the kexts and repair permissions and caches in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

I used kext wizard to rebuild the cache and repair permissions after I placed those three kexts in S/L/E. I thought that would work. I will try again with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or kext helper and let you know.

Today, I was mostly busy trying to get lion to work :-). Thanks

Hey Guys, I successfully created my Lion boot usb drive and installed Lion to a partition on my external hard drive. However, when I boot into the installed Lion on my HD, I am getting Kernal panic which says

Kernal Extensions in backtrace:

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

I tried with and without having the nullcpupowermanagement kext in the Lion usb drive(the one I used to install lion). In both cases, I get this KP when booting into installed Lion OSX. How do I resolve this KP? Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks guys! After following your tutorials I now have a pretty flawless copy of 10.6.8 running on my L502x, 6GB Memory, 1920x1080.

Here are the Kexts I am currently using; FakeSMC, IOAudioFamily, IOPCIFamily, IOSDHCBlockDevice, NullCPUPowerManagement, SleepEnabler, Voodoo Battery, VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooHDA

The only annoyances outstanding are the occasion Kernel Panic, green screen on resume from sleep, and the horizontal lines that will appear on the wallpaper (see attached screen capture).

Keep up the good work :)

post-704481-1316431419_thumb.jpg

The only annoyances outstanding are the occasion Kernel Panic, green screen on resume from sleep, and the horizontal lines that will appear on the wallpaper (see attached screen capture).

are you able to use your trackpad ,keyboard and usb devices after resuming from sleep? Sleepenabler working for me, but when i resume from sleep, my trackpad,keyboard, usb ports ,nothing works and I just have to force shutdown it.

Just wanted to say thanks guys! After following your tutorials I now have a pretty flawless copy of 10.6.8 running on my L502x, 6GB Memory, 1920x1080.

Here are the Kexts I am currently using; FakeSMC, IOAudioFamily, IOPCIFamily, IOSDHCBlockDevice, NullCPUPowerManagement, SleepEnabler, Voodoo Battery, VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooHDA

So did you manage to get QE/ CI fully working?

Any word on those lines on the desktop? Can we get rid of them somehow?

How about the Kernel Panics? Do they appear only when resuming from sleep or randomly?

As I said earlier, I would love if someone could gather all the valid information into one step-by-step tutorial for us neebies. I'm keen to give it a try, but all the different information on this site is a bit too confusing for me :(

I really apreciate if somebody update the guide with the latest version of everything. I having aa hard time reading all the post and try to find the proper way to do the install.

I want to install 1.6.8

The only Chimera available is 1.5 is this OK for this method? what about the new [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]? should I used old version?

if I had to backup any kext before update and replace them after update.

Please Guys I need some help I'm stuck in "waiting for root deice" follow every step possuble in the first post and a combination with the different suggestion in other post in the thread

BTW my is L502 i7

Hi Guys

I have a similar rig - an XPS 15z (L511z) and have successfully managed to install:

Sound (VoodooHDA 271)

USB3 (thanks to first post)

Wired (My rig came with an atheros card)

Battery

What doesn't work:

HD3000 (id: 0126)

Nvidia

Wifi

I've tried and tried to make the intel HD card work, using chimera, device-properties injection, even kext modification on 10.6.8 but no joy.

Has anyone had any joy in getting the graphics to work on a 15z?

Cheers

jkbuha

I have installed Lion successfully after two full days of hard work. I have full resolution, audio working :D . My special thanks to Kirky for the audio kext.

Note: Delete AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E for audio to work. It took me 3 hours to figure this out.

I still have few problems. I am unable to boot directly into my installed lion. I am getting boot0 error. I have to use the usb installer to boot from. I tried Chimera, Chameleon but nothing works. I deleted the boot file from the root and installed all the boot loaders but in vain. Please help. Thanks.

Note: Having the com.apple.boot.plist in my /Extra gives me horizontal lines while booting and my Lion doesn't boot. Does this have anything to do with the boot loader?

I have installed Lion successfully after two full days of hard work. I have full resolution, audio working :D . My special thanks to Kirky for the audio kext.

Note: Delete AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E for audio to work. It took me 3 hours to figure this out.

I still have few problems. I am unable to boot directly into my installed lion. I am getting boot0 error. I have to use the usb installer to boot from. I tried Chimera, Chameleon but nothing works. I deleted the boot file from the root and installed all the boot loaders but in vain. Please help. Thanks.

Note: Having the com.apple.boot.plist in my /Extra gives me horizontal lines while booting and my Lion doesn't boot. Does this have anything to do with the boot loader?

you have to rename com.apple.boot.plist into "org.chameleon.Boot.plist", since the com.apple file was deprecated and is not working anymore with Chimera 1.5. Simply put your renamed file in /Extra should fix the boot0 error as it does for me

you have to rename com.apple.boot.plist into "org.chameleon.Boot.plist", since the com.apple file was deprecated and is not working anymore with Chimera 1.5. Simply put your renamed file in /Extra should fix the boot0 error as it does for me

Thanks for the reply. I have tried as you said by having org.chameleon.boot.plist in /Extra. I then installed Chimera 1.5.4. When I rebooted, got the same boo0:error message. No luck :rolleyes: .

I have tried setting my MAC os x partition active as given in this thread but no luck again http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22844

SpeedStep for L502x Lion

Specs: L502x 6GB

GeekBench Score without SpeedStep: 6k-7k

GeekBench Score with SpeedStep: 9.5k+ (cpu only score is over 14k)

How To:

1. Follow those instructions SpeedStepper including the MSRDumper kext (LOAD IT FROM THE TERMINAL DO NOT INSTALL IN EXTENSIONS)

2. Set SMBios to MacBookPro8,3 - you can mess around with others and see your results

3. Make sure /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist has the following flags

<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

4. BackUp and delete Sleep/Nullcpupowermanagement kexts

5. Copy SSDT.aml from archive to Root partition

SSDT.zip

6. Reboot, use -v flag pay attention to

kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios <number>
kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready

this means ATCPMC got patched correctly and you should have ST working.

More info:

Stress generated with CPUTest (google), PStates reached in around 30 seconds with 99% CPU load.

10/3/11 2:26:01.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 
10/3/11 2:26:01.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper Coreulti(8) 
10/3/11 2:26:01.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 
10/3/11 2:26:02.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(8) 
10/3/11 2:26:02.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 
10/3/11 2:26:02.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(8) 
10/3/11 2:26:02.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 
10/3/11 2:26:03.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(8)

Lower PStates (<20) reached while writting this :)

10/3/11 2:48:48.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(8) 
10/3/11 2:48:48.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 11 12 13 16 17 18 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 
10/3/11 2:48:49.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(25) 
10/3/11 2:48:49.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 11 12 13 16 17 18 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 
10/3/11 2:48:49.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(8)

CPU temperatures without SpeedStep is 53ºC Idle -> 65ºC Load with SpeedStep 53ºC Idle - > 80ºC-85ºC - 99% CPU Load (on my laptop at least..)

SSDT file is a mix of several code snippets i found on the forums, optimized for L502 so it doesn't overheat like hell but most of it is from RevoGirls/Samantha's work.

Please report how it works for you, i know it can get better. If you have an improvement for it please share.

P.S Is someone using revoboot with L502x? I'd like some details about the generated PStates (MSRDump) and temperatures (idle - full load)

Edit: Currently testing battery life spawn, so far the time is fluctuating with positive values

------------

Sorry for the messy guide, i spent all night getting ST to work.

15 xps L502x

4 gig ram

540m gt

I-7 I have the 2620m or 2630

1080p and the 6230 N wifi

the rest of the stuff is pretty standard i assume so.....

Ok HI Every 1 , I am new here and i want to thank all the people who have been contributing to get the 15 xps working. I have been following the guide on the first page i ran into some problems.

I manged everything fine until step 15.

Here is my first question:

1) the guide uses 3.7.0 and i only manged to find 3.9.0 so is that a problem?

I clicked only those options sated in the guide anyway. so is that fine??

problem 2 comes immediately in the next step. I have never used a mac in my life b4. and i have no idea about this dsdt.aml file.....

2) Where ON EARTH IS THE ROOT FILE????? what do u exactly mean copy it to the root of of your snow leopard? i am sorry i am a complete idiot but yeah i dont know. can some 1 tell me? i have looked throguh out the whole 11 pages and it seems like i am the only 1 who doesn't know where this root file is. <<< this has got me going crazy!!!

3) i have never used this php code stuff. can some 1 show me a picture of what step 17 should look like as in a picture of the whole desktop and where and how i enter the code? sorry........ like i said i have never used a mac b4.

Please help me . Thank you

15 xps L502x

4 gig ram

540m gt

I-7 I have the 2620m or 2630

1080p and the 6230 N wifi

the rest of the stuff is pretty standard i assume so.....

Ok HI Every 1 , I am new here and i want to thank all the people who have been contributing to get the 15 xps working. I have been following the guide on the first page i ran into some problems.

I manged everything fine until step 15.

Here is my first question:

1) the guide uses 3.7.0 and i only manged to find 3.9.0 so is that a problem?

I clicked only those options sated in the guide anyway. so is that fine??

problem 2 comes immediately in the next step. I have never used a mac in my life b4. and i have no idea about this dsdt.aml file.....

2) Where ON EARTH IS THE ROOT FILE????? what do u exactly mean copy it to the root of of your snow leopard? i am sorry i am a complete idiot but yeah i dont know. can some 1 tell me? i have looked throguh out the whole 11 pages and it seems like i am the only 1 who doesn't know where this root file is. <<< this has got me going crazy!!!

3) i have never used this php code stuff. can some 1 show me a picture of what step 17 should look like as in a picture of the whole desktop and where and how i enter the code? sorry........ like i said i have never used a mac b4.

Please help me . Thank you

You really need to do some more research into what a com.apple.Boot.plist is first, also you need to be 100% aware that page 1 refers to Snow Leopard and NOT Lion as this has evolved into something more intricate. Stick with page 1 and Snow Leopard to get you started, then have a look at some video tutorials on Youtube to help you understand how to install Snow Leopard on a PC in general. To give you a start, your root drive is the beginning of your partition that shows you all your folders, in here you need to add a folder named 'Extra', which will contain your com.apple.Boot.plist file as well as some other important files - but watch a few Youtube tutorials to get yourself started. Thats the best advice I can give.

@lordrikimaru, 1. 3.9.0 is ok also. 2. Root Partition (where you have installed OS X) 3. you can skip that step using latest chimera from 3.9.0 and a proper patched DSDT (ill post mine) rename it to dsdtl2.aml and copy it to your your mac os x partition, then boot using DSDT=dsdt2.aml -v.

DSDT.aml.zip

Btw, if you don't have the quad core version of the laptop that DSDT file could cause kernel panics when booting :) if everything works well, rename the file back to DSDT.aml

• 2 weeks later...
My L702x (no HD graphics so that issue is moot) now has ALC665 audio working, USB2.0 ports work (after boot - I haven't tried to boot from them yet), Bluetooth (via the Centrino 1030N) and the FERMI freezes seem to have stopped although I can take no credit for that.

My DSDTs are attached the so you can extract the differences and attempt to fill in some of your gaps. I use an app called p4merge which will mark the differences between DSDTs and make cutting and pasting much easier.

Audio was pulled from the L701x topic version 3 zip file. I used an new app from EvOS86 team called DSDTFixer to do initial mods.

I will eventually write this up but I am trying to finish video first; I've got 1920x1080 but no QE/CL.

You should ignore the included ioreg listing ...

my dsdt can open 1920x1080 with QE/CL.

Updated Install Tutorial - at user request

Other info: Grey text in /* */ means the info is outdated.

PLEASE READ THE GUIDE STEP BY STEP, DON'T SKIP THEM ONLY TO COMPLAIN SOMETHING WENT WRONG AFTERWARDS.

I. Snow Leopard:

Stuff you need before starting: 2 empty CDs, 1 Empty dual layer DVD or a 8GB USB Stick, optionally a computer even your laptop running OS X(Virtual Box one will do as well) or TransMac, a retail image (10.6.8/10.6.7 preferably), on another stick/cd or even on the retail stick, just make sure you copied it after you restored the retail image on it.

1. Download boot cd and burn it on the empty CD (lowest speed possible).

2. If you have OS X, restore the install dmg to your USB stick, if you have windows you can use the previously mentioned TransMac or burn the iso of 10.6.8 on the dual layer DVD. (the pirates will help you with the iso, again)

3. Boot from boot CD, then eject the CD and insert the install DVD / keep the CD and plug in the USB Stick. Now press F5 to rescan all drives.
*Notice, if you are using USB Stick install method you may have to restart the laptop and boot into boot CD again so the stick gets detected.

4. Select on the screen the install media(DVD/Stick/whatever) and boot with the following flags: -v GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=20

5. When the screen loads up, click next/agree and go to "Utilities" (menubar up) and select "Disk Utility", select the HDD and click partition > options > MBR (funny enough our Über Laptops don't have a good bios to go with them, GUID is not supported).

Now partition the drive how you want, i recommend 70GB at least for the root partition and a TimeMachine partition of 20GB(it helps for when you screw something up). After you are done, exit disk utility, select the partition on which you want to install, then click customize and deselect printer drivers and language packs. Install :)

6. After the install is done, you will need the boot CD to boot in your newly installed OS X with these flags: -v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20 -x.

If you have the 1920x1080p Display version of the laptop, the screen will be all fuzzy and pinkish colored. We will fix that later, but for now you gotta have mouse skills to you can click the next button which will most likely be outside your screen.

7. Configuration time, install:

[size="1"]- [b]FakeSMC, NUllCPUPowerManagement, USB 3.0[/b]
- [b]Chameleon.[/b]
- [b]PCI Root UID, Generate CPU States, PCI Configurations Fix[/b]
- System Definitions > MacBookPro > [b]8,1[/b][/size]

Now go to Applications folder > open KextUtility and wait. When it's done restart the laptop and boot without boot CD using -v GraphicsEnabler=No flag to see if theres any error. If everything is OK open [Mu.lti.Be.ast] again and install sound ( VoodooHDA 2.7.3) and network (Lnx2Mac's)

8. Copy this DSDT (courtesy of wen1) to Extra/ folder, the end.

II. Lion:

There are 2 ways of doing it, a simple one and a hard one either way you will need to download rBoot and burn it on a CD.

Simple method:

Download iAtkos Lion, burn it on a DVD/restore it to your USB stick, follow on-screen instructions, select the following at the customization screen:
post-167221-1318603063_thumb.png

Install, then boot with -v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20 (if you experience some sort of Kernel Panic boot with this extra flag: arch=i686), if you encounter any other problem, boot with rBoot LE CD -v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20

NOTE: You must boot with rBoot BECAUSE iAtkos installs a desktop SMBIOS instead of a laptop one. This hinders the loading of the Graphic Drivers.

Hard method:

Updating from previously installed snow leopard

#-- Updating to 10.7.2 & 10.7.3 & 10.7.4 --#

1.Download Combo Update from Apple:

1.a 10.7.2
1.b 10.7.3
1.c 10.7.4

2. Install, don't reset
3. Install the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from the Lx02 Lion package installer or using one of these links below:

3.a 10.7.3 AICPUPM.kext
3.b 10.7.4 AICPUPM.kext

4. Re-Install AppleHDA.kext since the update replaces it. Manually, or from the installer package - either way you should rebuild and repair permissions using Kext Wizard to be on the safe side.
5. Reboot.

IMPORTANT: 10.7.3 and above removes some atheros cards ID's from the kext, so if you find yourself without wifi, simply install the 10.7.2 IO80211Family.kext (can also be found in the Package Installer)

III. Mountain Lion:

Simple method:

Download/buy OS X Mountain Lion then download and open the app below and choose your OS X Retail Image. If you're using the one downloaded from the app store: Navigate to Applications (which is where it will save your downloaded copy of ML by default) -> right click "Install OS X Mountain Lion" and click "Show Package Contents" -> Contents -> SharedSupport -> Double click "InstallESD.dmg"

App: #1838563
Follow app instructions then let it do it's job and when it's done simply restore the image using Disk utility to a thumb drive/sd-card/partition or burn it on a Dual Layer DVD (the image is around 5gb)

Boot into your newly restored/burned image, choose where you wish to install it (don't forget to erase that location). When the install is done you have 2 options:

• Boot using rBoot LE then use the Lx02x Lion install package (see Post Install section) and skip battery kext, it's bugged for some reason. Don't forget to install FakeSMC (sensor modules) and the bootloader (not included in my package)
  • Boot into another OS X install (if you have one) and do the same as above, Lx02 package install, bootloader install.

Longer method:

As described by PCWIZ13 here: #1824

Windows method:

You have 2 ways of doing it at this point:

1. Based on PCWIZ13's tutorial, except you use MacDrive&Transmac to create and restore the image.

2. Using OS X installed in a Virtual Environment.

If i have time i'll make a step by step tutorial for # 1 on how to create and restore the image in windows. Until then, i'm sure someone already did it, you can try to use google to find it.

Updating to 10.8.1:

Manually install the update, before resetting do the following:

• Rollback AppleSmartBattery.kext if VoodooBattery isn't installed.
  • Rollback AHCIFamily.kext to be able to boot with the kext cache
  • Optional: If Wi-Fi doesn't work restore IO80211Familly.kext

>>>>>>Post (Mountain) Lion Install:<<<<<<<<<
Please refer to this: #1547 - New version. Same principles apply, more or less.

If you have the Full HD Display, your screen will be fuzzy and pinkish.. you just have to get pass the set up screen so you can get to the desktop and install(copy to /Extra folder) the proper patch. It is located in the auto installer Lx02X Lion - V1 >

IMPORTANT! System > Display > Full High Definition Screen

!. Select it.

If you have the normal HD Display, you can find the right patch in

Lx02X Lion - V1 > IMPORTANT! System > Display > High Definition Screen

The kexts in the pack are mandatory to boot without rBoot LE CD/ to be fully functional. Install them with Kext Wizard (also provided) in S/L/E

SpeedStep in Lion & Mountain Lion:
*from previous post*

1. Follow those instructions SpeedStepper including the MSRDumper kext (LOAD IT FROM THE TERMINAL DO NOT INSTALL IN EXTENSIONS)
2. Set SMBios to MacBookPro8,2 - you can mess around with others and see your results
3. Make sure /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist has the following flags

<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

4. Back-Up and delete Sleep/NullCPUPowerManagement kexts
5. Copy SSDT.aml from archive to Root partition *see bottom of the post*
6. Reboot, use -v flag pay attention to

kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios <number>
kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready

this means AICPUPM got patched correctly and you should have SpeedStep working.

Hidden Content - Outdated Information Show Content
/* I made 2 SSDT files:

ONLY FOR i7!
9TS_SSDT.aml.zip -9TS-SSDT.aml.zip uses 9 turbo states like real MBP 8,2 that allows your CPU to reach its max (2.9GHz) but if you are a heavy user like myself rendering and other stuff, this version is not good if you care of your laptops life span because it automatically goes to the max. Keeping it under heavy load most of the time heats up the CPU to 80ºC with no cooler pad. (Also included in pack)

3TS_SSDT.aml.zip -3TS-SSDT.aml.zip uses 3 turbo states, so your CPU doesn't go to it's max TS (2.9GHz) unless there is a hard core application demanding it so the CPU heats up to only around 60-65ºC (which is better than on windows either way). The CPU will run under average conditions with a TS of 24-26 unlike the 9TS version which would go to 2.9 even from opening youtube. (Also included in pack)

Install the one you want by simply copying it to your root partition (where OS X is installed) */

SSDT UPDATE:

The Lx02X-Lion V1 (formerly known as L502x V7) pack has better SSDT than the ones posted here, read the description inside the installer package for more details.
Core i3 users just use GenerateCStates=Yes GeneratePStates=Yes DropSSDT=Yes

Dual Monitor

Under Lion with miniDP > VGA cable it works perfectly. I have no info about Snow Leopard or other types of cables, i do know that HDMI is not working. If you are using dual monitors + please provide informations.

Nvidia GT540M

I have a hunch it may work since it's based on the same chip as Fermi 4xx but it requires more documentations, and hex editing of some files. When i have time i'll start working on it. So far, from my preliminary research the ID of my card recognized on the internet as a GT 450m.

Using DSDT and/or EFi you can power the card and make OS X to properly detected but due to Optimus or better said how OS X chooses the IGPU as primary we are unable yet to make it work, unless we get a modded bios. (which still is a work in progress)

I've provided in the installer pack and as a standalone file somewhere around this forum, a DSDT that will power off the nvidia gpu. This will increase battery life and reduce heat. The NVidia GPU is still under development, there have been some break throughs but not enough. An alternative to my work is a modded bios, you can track their progress here: http://www.bios-mods...-BIOS-and-HOWTO

Notice

1. Kexts that are found in /Extra folder, do not work properly under Lion, and do NOT load at all if UseKernelCache=Yes is used. In this case move them to S/L/E yourself and delete the extensions.mkext from /Extra or use "Migration Tool" from [Mul.ti.Be.ast Lion] edition then use Kext Utility or Kext Wizard to repair permissions and rebuild cache :)

2. L502x DSDT is compatible with 15z model and with L702x (confirmed here). L702x users can also select their system DSDT from the installer package (Lx02X-Lion).

3. Make sure you have org.chamelon.Boot.plist file inside /Extra folder, if you have it in / (root partition) delete it from there! Edited by iPoco
  • Like 9

@ DoiX

Thanks so much for your updated guide. Will try to install either snow Leopard or Lion and report back on the weekend.

Just one more question before i get started:

Is it possible to install to an MBR partition Table with IAtkos Lion since I want to dual boot with my existing windows 7 partition?

Yes it's possible, MBR is pretty much the only option you have if you don't want to boot 24/7 using a Boot CD. Like i said, l502x bios doesn't support GUID booting, it will say missing operating system, the only way you can boot in a GUID install is using a boot CD/Stick. Good luck

• Like 2

Thanks Kirky. Wen1's solution didn't work for me. I copied the three kexts to S/L/E and used wen1's dsdt but the audio is still rumbling. Please let me know if you got the audio working in 10.6.8 using his kexts and dsdt.

ps: I will try to upgrade to lion over the weekend if this doesn't work out. I already tried installing lion but when try to boot from usb drive, it says no operation system found. I copied PXHCD on to the drive but stil doesn't workl.

try this patch for ur usb drive http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263086 (10.7.0 only)

@rndlgna, I'll try it now (i keep my laptop connected all the time so i removed the battery to not overcharge it).

Yep it works, use the kexts from the pack i posted in the updated tutorial here (page 11 at the end) and use kext wizard to repair all permisions and rebuild cache :) then boot with UseKernelCache=Yes if you don't already use it.

@rndlgna, I'll try it now (i keep my laptop connected all the time so i removed the battery to not overcharge it).

Yep it works, use the kexts from the pack i posted in the updated tutorial here (page 11 at the end) and use kext wizard to repair all permisions and rebuild cache ;) then boot with UseKernelCache=Yes if you don't already use it.

i see, maybe its because i didnt use voodoobattery from ur kexts pack (i used the one that posted earlier) and maybe because i didnt use usekernelcache on boot

but ivent tested it out yet cuz i went back to 10.7.1

i have to, because ubuntu replaced the bootloader (chimera) and i've got no luck booting osx from grub bootloader. i've tried using rboot le to boot into osx but it got me kernel panic on 10.7.2 (10.7.1 went fine) so i decided to go back to 10.7.1 by installing osx all over again.

but now my problem is chimera can't read the linux partition (ext4) so i can't boot into it, do you or does anyone know how to fix this? or how to configure triple boot properly in l502x? thanks :D

---

EDIT : ah my bad, nevermind, i found my problem. i installed grub into MBR, it should've been into the root partition of linux. . i've fixed it and chimera can read my linux partition :D