Apple Mail Files in Lion (hidden Library folder)

webplus

5 posts in this topic

I have several macs and always copy my Apple Mail files from my main computer to copy onto others (simply copy the entire 'Mail' folder found in /Users/yourusername/Library and also the file named 'com.apple.mail.plist' inside the folder named 'Preferences' and then replace with those in the other macs).

However, when I tried to copy the Mail folder into my Lion (DP3) installation, the Library folder was nowhere to be seen. For some reason this has become a hidden folder in Lion. So to see the folder to copy Mail into it, simply do the following.

Open Terminal, type this command, and press Enter:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

To hide hidden files simply replace YES with NO.

To make the command take effect, you need to restart the Finder. One way to do this is to hold down the Option (alt) key, then click and hold on the Finder icon in the Dock. When the contextual menu appears, select Relaunch and the Finder will restart.

When it does, you'll find that you can now see every single file and folder on your Mac.

• 5 weeks later...
To make the command take effect, you need to restart the Finder. One way to do this is to hold down the Option (alt) key, then click and hold on the Finder icon in the Dock. When the contextual menu appears, select Relaunch and the Finder will restart.

While still in the terminal you can type "killall Finder". I find it to be easier since you're already typing.