Dell Precision 670

8 posts in this topic

Ok, I've seen older threads about 10.4 and 10.5 for Precision 670s,... but I haven't found any good threads for 10.6. So here's what I've got:

Precision 670

Dual 3.0Ghz Xeons

4GB RAM

400GB HDD on SATA (cannot find option to run in AHCI...any clues for Dell BIOS?)

DVD on IDE

FireGL 128MB on PCI-Express

Integrated audio

So what is the best distro to use?

1) Retail SL DVD

2) iAtkos (please clarify version)

3) Hazard 10.6.6i

4) ???

I have tried iAtkos S3 V2 and added PC EFI, Chameleon RC4, and ATI Kexts, but it goes to load and just gives me the following screen even if I boot in safe mode (-x).

DSC_4170.JPG

I appreciate any help!!!

I have tried iAtkos and added PC EFI, Chameleon RC4, and ATI Kexts, but it goes to load and just gives me the following screen even if I boot in safe mode (-x).

I appreciate any help!!!

Boot in verbose mode AND safe mode (-v -x) and see what it says about why it is hanging.

Will try this afternoon. Just added, I'm using iAtkos S3 V2. Any recommendations on a distro?

The fact that you were able to boot and install iAtkos S3 V2 says it is a good one to start with since no one else has reported on 10.6.x. For now, leave all selections as they are default. The ATI kexts will not help your very old video board. If you really want to, you can UN-check the Language Translations. If you need one, check only it. Otherwise, just install, boot with (-v -x) and find out what it hangs on. Other stuff can be included later or you can do it again with better selections.

I would go read the postings about installing 10.5.x and find out what problems they had and what had to be done to overcome them. Chances are, 10.6.x will have very similar problems.

Ok, thought it might be something that I selected...and I wanted to use a SATA drive instead anyway...so swapped out the 80GB IDE for a 400GB SATA, and reinstalled iAtkos S3 V2. I think I went through the installation options more thoroughly this time, and did not use any boot switches (I used cpus=1 and busratio=16 last time), and VOILA! It works!!! Rock steady right now.. Now I have a few small hiccups, but I think it's just a matter of getting the right KEXTs in. Here's what I have:

1) CPUs not recognized

2) Machine noted as a Mac mini

3) Audio doesn't work (Integrated ADI 198x)

4) Video - Installed Natit and an ATI KEXT (can't remember exactly which one) Recognized as a 4890 with 128MB VRAM.. can't change resolution from 1024x768

5) Ethernet - There are 2 100/1000 connections. One is integrated (Intel Pro 100/1000. The other is unknown ATM.

Screenshots attached for Video, Ethernet, and System Information.

Sys Info: sysinfo.jpg

Video: video.jpg

Ethernet: ethernet.jpg

• 2 months later...