Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Allan

      Forum Rules   04/13/2018

      Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
Sign in to follow this  

Intel iMac 20" or build a faster Core 2 Duo w/ 20" Dell LCD for same price?

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

It's been 3 years since I last bought a computer and 5 years since I bought a monitor (CRT) so it's time to get a completely new system. I could either buy a new Intel iMac 20" or build a Core 2 Duo system with a new Dell 20" LCD for roughly the same price. I need some help deciding between the two. Any input would be appreciated.


I really will get the Dell 24" LCD ($650) if I decide to build but I just wanted to have a closer comparison.


Intel iMac 20" 2GHz

(with student discount) $1,847 :

  • 500GB Serial ATA Drive
  • ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
  • 512MB 667 DDR2 SDRAM

Core 2 Duo 2.40 GHz @ 3.6 GHz (overclocked) with 20" Dell LCD

System $1,344 + LCD $350 = $1,894

  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 $369.99
  • ASUS P5W DH Deluxe $269.99
  • 2GB G.Skill NR PC2-6400 $199.99
  • ATI X1800XT 256MB $229.99
  • 500GB Hard drive $200
  • Antec P180 $114.99
  • Zalman CNPS9500 & VF-900 + PBG4 & PMG5 $160 (estimate)

* Prices current as of 08/24/06 on newegg

* I have some spare parts that'll save me money like a DVD-R drive and power supply.

* This is a system that user Graeme43 has built

* See [HowTo] Building a Core2Duo (Conroe) box for OSx86 for more info.




Intel iMac 20" Pros/Cons


+ All in one unit (space saving)

+ Quiet and cool

+ Better looking

- Slower system


Core 2 Duo E6600 w/ 20" Dell LCD Pros/Cons


+ Faster system

- Noisier?

- Not as good looking as iMac

- OS X system updates / Hardware incompatibility issues

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also add that Apple will give me a free Nano iPod or a 30Gig Video iPod for $99 (after rebates). I currently have a 60Gig Video iPod so this is a bonus but for me none essential.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

My PC eats intel iMacs for breakfast :D :D



Don't forget the iMac isn't Core 2 Duo which isn't as new/good technology + lower ghz


ASUS P5W DH Deluxe has ability for Intel multi-core


ATI X1800XT whoops X1600XT



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Graeme, how close is your pc performance to a Mac Pro?



"ATI X1800XT whoops X1600XT" what?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, wait a few weeks, a month max.

They should roll out the Core 2 duo iMacs by then.


If they don't, I would still go for the iMac. It's simply a joy to use. And if you want to properly make use of OS X, no question: iMac's the way to go.

The only thing that could deter me from it would be that i wanted a bigger monitor (you mentioned the 24" dell) but personally, dual monitors are even better. If you got another 20", it would look amazing, so i don't think that's really an issue.

And if you would like a nano as well (for jogging, im sure it would nicely complement the 60 gig one) then great. Otherwise, turn the 30 gigs around on ebay and make some profit!

I use an iMac regularly at work, in windows, and we also have a Dell (although not quite as good). Still, speed put aside, i enjoy using the iMac. From the feel of the keyboard to the slot loading dvd to the whiteness and form factor and silence, it's just a whole other experience, even in windows.


Wait a max of four weeks, then get an iMac. No matter if it has a core duo or core 2 duo.


BTW the processor's socketed. I'm not saying it would be easy to upgrade, but you could always search froogle for a core 2 duo (merom) when you feel like it and get a really powerful cpu whenever you're budget allows. Sure, it'll cost you a little more, but other than sse4 and 64-bit there's not much of a difference between the duo and the 2 duo.


Just my advice!



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, if I had the money with me right now I'd go straight for the 20" iMac.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1800 is jsut nearly 2600.. mac pro.....





i would wait for the imac Core duo 2


its coming!!!!


really hackintosh are awesome but as son as i can i will go all the way to be an apple mac user, a legit one, apple deserves really.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are going to use Mac OS, so go for iMac, if you buy Dell and install Mac OS in it, for how long will you satisfiy? After Leopard came out, are you guarantee that you can install it on your Dell? If me, I would go for iMac, speed is not no.1 priority for me, because as for me, the joy and easy of use, and free from hardware problem is the first thing and I get all of it with Mac.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Apple has until Sept 12th to get my money. That's when they are rumored to announce new/updated products.


How likely is a new Intel Core 2 Duo iMac I wonder maybe even a 23" model.


Thanks for the comments you guys made me think and just wait it out a little while longer.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.