GUIDE XPS M1210 Snow Leopard

Davirus

9 posts in this topic

This is how I made a successful installation of snow leopard on my XPS M1210.

Im running the system using all the native drivers, there are no patched drivers except the basic ones that I have in my /Extra folder.

===============================

Lets go back to business:

1st

Buy a Snow Leopard DVD you bastards, you gonna need it and you gonna love it, DO IT!

2nd

I used an external Drive with an asignated partition to run the instalation.

WHY?

Simply because installing from an external HDD is faster and also I needed to make constant changes into the "com.apple.Boot.plist" and the /Extra folder until I found the formula that worked with me, that would be a little more complicated using solely the retail DVD.

Also I created a 2nd partition to install snow leopard and keep my internal HDD untouched and use it while I realized how to make Snow Leopard usable and dont f***k up my system.

01_hack_xpsm1210.png

3th

I used "myHack_Installer_1.1" to install the drivers and bootloader into the installer partition (called "Mac OS X Install DVD")

You can find it here: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads/

Once you download it, open it, and select the partition/drive where you have you installer.

The "customize" button will allow you to select certain kext for your system, but this are the ones (and also, other I found around here and there...), so, when the installation completes, just delete all the kexts in the /Extra folder and copy the ones here:

xpsm1210_extra_drivers.png

Download Extra Kexts

4th

With this, you are ready to install.

Install wherever you want it.

5th

intel GMA 950: A PAIN IN THE A.... REAR

yes, all we know the intel gma 945 (aka 950) it pure {censored}, but I still managed to run it on Snow Leopard using native drivers.

It still a mystery to me how I made this possible, not sure if it is the EFI string on the .plist or... dunno...

ANYWAY, the solution its quite simple:

(its highly recommended to have an external monitor, but still, it should run even without it).

The XPS M1210 have button that switch screen when pressed (fn + F8).

If when booting (without any external monitor plug in) you have a blackscreen, press those buttons until you manage to see your screen working.

Thats all I did, and it did work.

IF YOU HAVE AN EXTERNAL MONITOR PLUG IN:

If you plug your external monitor and either the internal screen or the external monitor do not work (black sreen), just set an active corner (exposé) to turn the screen off.

When you touch that corner, all the screens should turn off, so, all that you have to do is to move the pointer out of there corner to turn on all the screens, with actually sound quite of dumb... BUT IT WORK!

and.... thats all :unsure:

=========================================

FACTS:

+ intel wireless 3945 do not work, I even change it for more RAM, so I dont have that card anymore.

+ I use an external audio USB Card since vodooHDA does nothing on my laptop.

+ DVD drive works

+ Intel Core 2 Duo works with 2 cores enable.

+ Firewire works

+ Bluetooth works.

+ My english sucks, I know...

All questions are welcome.

how do I check the video graphics ?

Sorry for the delay, for some reason I did`t received an e-mail notification on your reply.

Your video graphics...

==============================

Well, if you are under windows, you can use the run command (start / Run.. ) or press (windows key + R) and type:

dxdiag

There you can check your video card name and configuration.

You can also check it on your BIOS, not all bios display the video card name and config, but you can give it a shoot there.

On Mac OS X is quite complicated, but I uploaded this application, it shows all your computer components:

[ Download Hardware Info APP ]

Good luck.

Doesn't work for Dell XPS M1730 laptop. I get 10.6.0 installed using the boot loader + Original Snow Leopard method. But After I start upgrading it kernel panics. Can someone help. timbojill@gmail.com, uvidownloader@gmail.com.

Post a picture of the kernel panic log so we can know what could be causing the panics.

Also I dont recommend to replace any kext in the system/extension folder.

Always try to put them first in the /Extra folder.

• 2 weeks later...

Two problems with my xpsm1210...

1.) Webcam doesn't work (no big deal, it's a crappy camera anyways)

2.) Sleep mode \ closing lid doesn't work. Sometimes the display won't come out of sleep, or it will but the trackpad and keyboard wont.

Do you have sleep mode \ lid problems?

• 3 weeks later...
Two problems with my xpsm1210...

1.) Webcam doesn't work (no big deal, it's a crappy camera anyways)

2.) Sleep mode \ closing lid doesn't work. Sometimes the display won't come out of sleep, or it will but the trackpad and keyboard wont.

Do you have sleep mode \ lid problems?

· Well, I recently found a kext for 10.6.7 that allowed me to sleep, but the backlight is off after the computer wake up, but there is chance that your computer have a different hardware model.

Here is the kext, give it a try it wont hurt your system, yet you can expect some kernel panics after wake up but will not hurt your system or boot stability.

· About the lid, just the screen turn off, but the system is still running, so Im fine with that.

· I never made work the XPS M1210 webcam in any Mac OS version, snow leopard is not an exception :)