My Motherboards a bitch..i think?

stangn99

7 posts in this topic

I tried everything to get my x1600 xt working (saphire)...but no luck.

I tried manually pacthcing it...i tried the boris patcher and I even tried Jas' new 10.4.7 DVD....all with the same results....frozen screen with horizontal lines all over the place.

I am no wondering if my P5ND2-Sli Deluxe is getting in the way of my x1600 xt working properly.....or does the 71c0 device ID just not work well?

I've done a lot of searching, with no answers. I gave up and stuck with windows and my G5...but I would really like to get my PC running Tiger.

What do you guys think? Is my mobo being a {censored}?

BTW....

- if i patch manuall....I can change resolution..but no QE or CI or QE2D.

- If i use the boris installer....i get horizontal lines with frozen screen

- 10.4.7 with the x1600 selected in setup..i get frozen screen with horizontal lines

IF I dont do anythign after the initial install....

- I get QE and CI support and QE2D is ok....but cannot change the resolution.

Pretty f***ed up huh?

I should also add that it takes about 1hr to install with no addition features selected in the customization (other than sse3 and intel stuff).

My specs are:

Intel 3.0ghz 630 lga775 SSE3

asus P5ND2-Sli Deluxe

1gb OCZ 667 RAM

80gb ATA WD harddrive

and a plextor dvd/cd burner that reads dvds at 16x (or was it 8x).

I tried everything to get my x1600 xt working (saphire)...but no luck.

I am no wondering if my P5ND2-Sli Deluxe is getting in the way of my x1600 xt working properly.....or does the 71c0 device ID just not work well?

I have a Sapphire x1600xt (71c0) patched with the manual Boris method and it works just fine - QE/CI/QE2D

My Asus motherboard is Crossfire capable. Crossfire is the rough equivalent to the SLI technology that your board has. SLI is an NVIDIA technology. So, maybe, just maybe, your motherboard is the culprit. If there are any BIOS settings related to SLI, maybe you should turn them off.

I should also add that it takes about 1hr to install with no addition features selected in the customization (other than sse3 and intel stuff).

After the first time, you can skip the DVD check that occurs at the beginning of the installation. The DVD isn't going to change, so if you have had it checked once, it doesn't need to be done on subsequent installations. Just click the Skip button when it starts. Should shorten your install time quite a bit.

I have always skipped the DVD check...

It takes about 1hr to install WITH skipping the DVD check...probably a good 2hrs with DVD verify on.

I recently did a bios update which i thought would help. I did the update and tried 10.4.7 and got the same results.

Everything relating to SLi is turned off.

I am thinking of changing motherboards...but I dont want to risk letting go of my P5ND2....its a pretty sexy board....

I dont want to have to let it go...get a new board..and have the same issue. Specially since I already got an SLi certified powersupply and 667mhz ram which a lot of boards dont accept. :censored2:

...but overall you think my mobo is getting in the way too? Should I bother? or should i wait till Vista comes out? I already have a G5...maybe ill stick to windows.

Well, the P5ND2 uses the nForce4 chipset, which IIRC, there are some DMA issues with, causing it to be slow as f.

I would suggest buying a 945 chipset board. I dont know about the ECS 945P, but they're pretty fing cheap.

Ya...maybe ill get rid of the Nforce chipset.

i remeber having problem (dma) with various linux distros too. What a waste. Kinda {censored} cuz its a nice baord...and i will lose out - but I really would like to be able to run linux distros and osx without problems.

hmmm.... so 945 chipset huh?

Thanks guys...thats all it took too make up my mind :)

Ok..

did some searching.

Apparently I will have to share my harddrive and DVDrom on this board..but I no biggie...

What do you guys think about the:

"ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe" Seems like its ok with OSX. Not too many complaints about it. Apparently sound needs patching aswell, but I probably will not be using the onboard sound anyway.

I found one for pretty cheap. Should i do it up? I think its a good board with lots of features (for when Vista comes out)...this way I can have Vista and OSX.

What do you guys think?

Ok guys,

I changed motherboards.

Now im on an INTEL 945P motherboard.

WHAT DID I NOTICE?

1. Installation took 14 minutes! WOW! what a difference

2. Overall OSX performance was great

3. Network worked without changing anything

4. Sound doesn't work...havn't tried to make it work.

WHAT NOT WORKING?

1. My video card...again... same thing happens. When I do the Boris patch and reboot, I get horizontal lines all over the lower 1/2 of the screen. You cannot see anything.

2. when I manually edit the Kext files....i can change resolutions, but I get no QI, CI

3. If I dont do anythng, after the install and check "about this mac"....I get QE and CI support....but only @ 1024x768

Any other ideas?

thanks!