ATI card never used, always booting using IntelHD

st40611

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I currently have a HP Envy 14. After a lot of trials and errors, I've managed to boot 10.6.6 retail on my laptop on a MBR partition, but the dual-graphics card configuration of this laptop is giving me one last problem.

I used checcco's boot file, installed Chameleon r5 with ATI support with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], installed 10.7's ATI kexts and even dumped my card's ATI rom onto the /Extra folder (all seen here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=250905) but for some reason my laptop can never pick up the card, only the Intel one. But when I boot in verbose mode, I see the following:

No DSDT found, using 0 as uid value.
Using PCI-Root-UID value: 0
ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
ATI Redwood ATI Radeon HD 5650 series 4095MB (Nomascus) [1002:68c1] (subsys [103c: 1436]) **There's some more code here, but my camera didn't get a good shot of it; I'll take a shot again if this part of info is needed***
Intel VGA Controller [8086:0046] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) (Currently Not SUPPORTED)

Which means ... my ATI card is detected by chameleon and the boot file, but somehow never activated in OSX, right? Anyone got any input for me to work this out?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've got a HP with Ati 5650m too on i5 system (Ati hd graphics 8086:0046), and i think it's same problem:

Starting right, Ati Card POSTED with Kabyl's chameleon, but No ATI Card detected on os x system...

dmesg | grep ati return NOTHING, ioreg : nothing with ati, ...

I ve tested it with adding the ROM file in extra too, with ALL option AtiConfig=Eulemur, AtiRom, ... and all methods i found on forums

Any1 get the solution?

Edit: it's impossible to set video card as discrete

Hi,

I've got a HP with Ati 5650m too on i5 system (Ati hd graphics 8086:0046), and i think it's same problem:

Starting right, Ati Card POSTED with Kabyl's chameleon, but No ATI Card detected on os x system...

dmesg | grep ati return NOTHING, ioreg : nothing with ati, ...

I ve tested it with adding the ROM file in extra too, with ALL option AtiConfig=Eulemur, AtiRom, ... and all methods i found on forums

Any1 get the solution?

Edit: it's impossible to set video card as discrete

Hi I have a Hp g62 with i3 and intel gm 0046 and ati 5470m...I'm able to get the drivers loaded for both cards but for intel...it doesn't work very well (some ripple effects) see here how to get partial QE/CL working with intel GM post #1 and no resolution changing:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223754

then use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and install chimera or chameleon with ati experimental (it also copies the new ati kexts ) and you should get Ati kext loaded but in system profile you will get unknown card...that it will be fixed by injecting your device name in the apple.boot.com.plist file

sorry cannot show you...if i take a snapshot...I just got black picture

anyway the problem then is still to get the ati as primary card and use the ati with the laptop internal lcd...didn't get it yet..i just get 1024x768 with intel GM HD 5700

bye marco

Hi I have a Hp g62 with i3 and intel gm 0046 and ati 5470m...I'm able to get the drivers loaded for both cards but for intel...it doesn't work very well (some ripple effects) see here how to get partial QE/CL working with intel GM post #1 and no resolution changing:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223754

then use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and install chimera or chameleon with ati experimental (it also copies the new ati kexts ) and you should get Ati kext loaded but in system profile you will get unknown card...that it will be fixed by injecting your device name in the apple.boot.com.plist file

sorry cannot show you...if i take a snapshot...I just got black picture

anyway the problem then is still to get the ati as primary card and use the ati with the laptop internal lcd...didn't get it yet..i just get 1024x768 with intel GM HD 5700

bye marco

Marco,

Still, impossible to get my ATI card detected on my osx system !! I've done all things described here

I ve tested Chameleon RC5 with Ati experimental + kybil's code ("boot" file replacement)

and with the last Chimera (r760)

The bootloader is able to detect my card well (ATI Card Posted,...) with & without ROM file in /extra

But still nothing visible on OSX : lspci / dmesg / videos cards in system profile / ...

Marco,

Still, impossible to get my ATI card detected on my osx system !! I've done all things described here

I ve tested Chameleon RC5 with Ati experimental + kybil's code ("boot" file replacement)

and with the last Chimera (r760)

The bootloader is able to detect my card well (ATI Card Posted,...) with & without ROM file in /extra

But still nothing visible on OSX : lspci / dmesg / videos cards in system profile / ...

The problem with HP laptops is that they have a locked version of the bios which does not allow to switch on / off a specific card at boot

However, according to this post in another forum

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-touchsm...m-bios-tm2.html

it should be possible to unlock the bios of Core2Duo based HP laptops using the Insyde EzH2O utility.

Maybe some of us could give our HP bioses to a willing hackintosh hacker and he / she could show us how to unlock that option in the bios

Then it could be possible to bios with the ATI card active only which should be recognized

I have a HP Envy 14, i5 460M, ATI Radeon 5650m... Chameleon recognises the ATI card when booting, but wont show in OSX system profiler. I hope somebody can figure out how to change the InsydeH20 BIOS settings to use discrete graphics only. When I try to change it from Hybrid to dGPU, and then Exit saving Changes, the computer seems to freeze with a blank screen. Hopefully someone can work it all out :P

BTW, does anyone know how to extract the DSDT from an InsydeH20 BIOS in order to create a patched DSDT? I've searched many times for this, but can't find anything. Is it not possible? (I think my chipset is Intel Express HM55.. does that sound correct?) If we could create a DSDT patch, would that mean we could just set discrete graphics on in the DSDT patch and not have to worry about the BIOS configration? (Sorry I'm a noob :))

• 2 weeks later...
I have a HP Envy 14, i5 460M, ATI Radeon 5650m... Chameleon recognises the ATI card when booting, but wont show in OSX system profiler. I hope somebody can figure out how to change the InsydeH20 BIOS settings to use discrete graphics only. When I try to change it from Hybrid to dGPU, and then Exit saving Changes, the computer seems to freeze with a blank screen. Hopefully someone can work it all out :)

BTW, does anyone know how to extract the DSDT from an InsydeH20 BIOS in order to create a patched DSDT? I've searched many times for this, but can't find anything. Is it not possible? (I think my chipset is Intel Express HM55.. does that sound correct?) If we could create a DSDT patch, would that mean we could just set discrete graphics on in the DSDT patch and not have to worry about the BIOS configration? (Sorry I'm a noob :D)

You are lucky with your HP ENVY laptop, you can press F10 + A at boot, to get the advanced configuration of bios !

I got the same hardware configuration but it's seem to be impossible on my DV6 3165sf ... tryed 100 times =))

And the bios seem to be unhackable (cf Forums). Actual version F.23.

I'm still looking for a solution !

Any news ? !

• 3 months later...

guys i have hp g62 with commutable graphics card locked on bios . I solved the problem by changing the bios, if you're interested in reading this post . I changed my bios choosing this option OS SKU:0 and now intel hd is disable and snow leopard start with mi ati 5470m with ful resolution !! i have only one little problem , when i boot windows seven os , it start in vga mode .... but I think that will solve the problem by installing xp .

sorry for my sucks english and good luck !

You are lucky with your HP ENVY laptop, you can press F10 + A at boot, to get the advanced configuration of bios !

I got the same hardware configuration but it's seem to be impossible on my DV6 3165sf ... tryed 100 times =))

And the bios seem to be unhackable (cf Forums). Actual version F.23.

I'm still looking for a solution !

Any news ? !

I had the same problem. I noticed that when I tried the newest bootfile (Chameleon RC5 r1135 or something) my Mac would boot not recognizing Ati card at all. But, with previous Chameleon boot file (r765 or something) I would boot GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Eulemur and now I get two Displays...

The first one:

Display:

Type:	GPU
 Bus:	Built-In
 VRAM (Total):	64 MB of Shared System Memory
 Vendor:	Intel (0x8086)
 Device ID:	0x0046
 Revision ID:	0x0002
 Kernel Extension Info:	No Kext Loaded
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1366 x 768
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes

And the second display:

Unknown:

Chipset Model:	Unknown
 Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 Slot:	Slot-1
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	256 MB
 Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
 Device ID:	0x68c1
 Revision ID:	0x0000
 ROM Revision:	113-B7710C-176
 EFI Driver Version:	01.00.318
 Displays:
Display Connector:
Display Connector:

It seems that the newest boot files do not support switchable graphics. Although, the boot version I'm using does not fully support my card either. I guess I'll take the measly 256MB over None at all.

FYI, if when changing boot files, your "Two displays" like what I showed above in system profiler, is reduced to one: I fixed this by:

1. Rebooting with GraphicsEnabler=No.

2. Change boot file.

3. Reboot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig="What ever you want goes here"

4. Should be back.

If not,

1. Reboot with GraphicsEnabler=No.

2. Replace boot file.

3. Reinstall modified ATI5000Controller.kext.

4. Repair Permissions.

5. Restart with GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig="What ever you want goes here"

6. DEFINITELY should be showing up.

Just as a note, I have a forced VROM and modified EDID with my screen resolution normal at 1366x768. The only things I cannot get at this moment are videos to show up when I play them and my full 1GB of VRAM which only appears at 256MB. Everything else, is well, pretty much gipper.

Looking forward to anyone who has a fix but I will continue to mess around until I get it fixed. And I hope the info I provided helps someone.

• 3 weeks later...
guys i have hp g62 with commutable graphics card locked on bios . I solved the problem by changing the bios, if you're interested in reading this post . I changed my bios choosing this option OS SKU:0 and now intel hd is disable and snow leopard start with mi ati 5470m with ful resolution !! i have only one little problem , when i boot windows seven os , it start in vga mode .... but I think that will solve the problem by installing xp .

sorry for my sucks english and good luck !

Can i do the same thing with my hp dv7-6053er? it has newest gen sandybridge core i7-2630qm, and 6770m as secondary gpu, the bios is:

insydeh20 3.5

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...