Issues with 'essentials' during install

Luna

5 posts in this topic

Using either Jas's and Myzar's 10.4.6 I will always lose the install to a flash error (too fast to read) and the message...

"Please try installing again"

... during the installation of the 'essentials' portion of the install, usually at the exact same completion percentage as the last attempt.

Each of these burns were completed at 8x with Nero, I deleted the images after I had burned them and they're gone, unrecoverable without downloading them again... which I am in the process of doing in fact just to try again. I am wondering however if I am missing a 2nd unrelated problem and a re-download, re-burn isn't going to help me.

Question 1:

I was reading in a few other posts from Rammjet and others that slow, 1x burns and other re-burns on better quality DVD-Rs were more successful for people having boot issues and various problems AFTER an install, but nowhere could I find it suggesting it would help the actual install. Would it? Is my issue common?

I am attempting this on an AMD 64 3000+ with a Gigabyte motherboard that appears to be eligible on the wiki.

Last question:

I am downloading the new Jas 10.4.7 to try that one as well, is that only supposed to be 3Gb instead of the 4.2Gb+ we've been seeing? Just want to make sure I'm getting the real mccoy.

Thank you for your help and thank you for providing the forum to get in touch with others in the hobby.

I presently have a MacBook Pro and a Mac Mini, but was eager to try this aspect before dropping a couple grand on a new Mac Pro tower, heh.

Luna

Question 1:

I was reading in a few other posts from Rammjet and others that slow, 1x burns and other re-burns on better quality DVD-Rs were more successful for people having boot issues and various problems AFTER an install, but nowhere could I find it suggesting it would help the actual install. Would it? Is my issue common?

No, you misread. The slow burn on quality media is for the installation and for booting the DVD prior to the installation. The DVD has no effect after the installation. There are other user choice-errors that affect booting after the installation.

Last question:

I am downloading the new Jas 10.4.7 to try that one as well, is that only supposed to be 3Gb instead of the 4.2Gb+ we've been seeing? Just want to make sure I'm getting the real mccoy.

JaS agreed to provide the image on a compressed DMG to save on download time. 3 GB is the correct size and will uncompress to a full DVD.

Thanks for the answers, Rammjet.

Of course, right after I post I find this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=essentials

It would seem the Essentials hang was a common hang on older installs.

It appears updating my DVD firmware might also be the issue, but I think I will try a few of the other DVD drives available to me first since I don't have floppy disks lying around to flash this stuff anymore.

I do find the error interesting as I have a Pioneer A04/A05 drive which is the exact drive Apple has been using as a Superdrive for years.

Luna

Whelp...

I was hoping to join the "it worked" party but updating the firmware on 2 drives did not help either, asked for a reinstall again while installing the essentials.

I guess my last and only bet is to hope the Jas 10.4.7 works with a slow burn at 1x, outside of that, I don't see it happening as long as I keep getting the same stall.

Luna

Whelp...

I was hoping to join the "it worked" party but updating the firmware on 2 drives did not help either, asked for a reinstall again while installing the essentials.

I guess my last and only bet is to hope the Jas 10.4.7 works with a slow burn at 1x, outside of that, I don't see it happening as long as I keep getting the same stall.

Luna

something you can do that helped me when you go to choose what pachages your going to install get rid of all the extra ones like the extra languages and printer drivers and x11 and stuff if that option is available. of course that last install i did was the 10.4.3 so i dont know if its any different now.