Help with removing kext using install disk

Foxic

3 posts in this topic

Hi, so I did something silly.

In an attempt to get my fan speed etc reported I tried out a new fake smc, works great except I don't have CPU temps. So I thought I'd try replacing my IntelCPUMonitor.kext with IntelThermal.kext (in E/E), rebuilt caches, rebooted. Kernel panic

It panics in safe mode, force mode and single user mode, even using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] boot disk which normally gets me in when situations like this arise.

If I try to delete the IntelThermal.kext from Ubuntu (separate partition) it tells me I do not have permission.

So I figure the easiest and safest way of doing this would be to use the OS X install disk to load terminal and delete it from there.

I just want to check that I've tried everything before I resort to terminal, and also that these terminal commands would be correct if it does come to CLI.

Boot into OS X install disk, Utilities > Terminal

cd /Volumes/"OS X"/Extras/Extensions

rm -r IntelThermal.kext

cd ..

cd ..

cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm -r Extension.mkext

Then can I boot with -f to rebuld the caches or do I need to do it manually via

sudo -s <password>

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extension

chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extension

touch /System/Library/Extensions

Thanks

It seems it is also possible to delete kexts using Mac Drive 8.0 from windows.

Has anyone got any experience with either of these methods who could possibly confirm my methodology.

Fixed by replacing IntelCPUMonitor.kext and my old extentions.mkext and deleting IntelThermal.kext using macdrive 8.0 from windows 7. Then booted in safe mode and repaired permissions with kext utility then rebooted normally.