Dell's INVASION-WARE, er, customer service

A Nonny Moose

9 posts in this topic

Exactly what I thought would happen. Remote Assistance has been in Windows XP since it was released. Not only that, but computer manufacturers have offered this service for years. Dell just put it in their ad now.

Remote Assistance requires an invitation, a password and has a limit on usage time.

Remote Desktop on the Mac is mostly the same thing and is used in a very similar way.

• 2 weeks later...

From Dell's side of looking at it I think its a great developement. The IT guys where I work at do it all the time. I mean come on. Most people can't describe on the phone what the problem is or explain it so the IT guys understand. It could cut down on repair time considerably. You can always just get the verbal help and not give them permission to come onto your PC.

yeah but what i dont like is that if they find stuff like pirated apps they could find the software company and get you sued. although this is probebly not going to happen.

You dont have to worry about pirated apps they are not looking. I have done that kind of they just wanna get your problem fixed so they can go back to surfing the internet or goofing off. Remote assistance is awesome because you see what the user is doing and can see if it is a user error instead of an actual problem, then show them how to do it right.