Failed 10.6.5 update: GTX 470 (presumably) prevents boot

Troll_invader

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have been running OSX 10.6.4 under the following specs for about 6 monthes until now:

Mobo: ASUS P6X58D Premium

CPU: i7 930

GFX: GTX 470

HDD: 2 x Samsung Spinpoint f3's

BOOT: Chameleon 2.0 RC5

I installed following the guides offered here and here making a sort of hybrid between them which has worked well. Unfortunately however, in updating from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 in order to install the new fermi drivers released, so i could enjoy a fully functional graphics card, i received a kernel panic while mounting the fermi installer package image.

In short, i have not installed the appropriate drivers for my graphics card. The result is an error about timing out waiting for "intelCpuPowerManagement" after which my machine just hangs. After researching around to see if i could get around this problem so i could at least get into the GUI to install the driver, it appears that this is not possible as the missing driver is the source of the error. After booting with a ridiculous amount of bootloader flag combinations, deleting the previous fermi kexts and trying various attempts to mount and install the fermi driver in single user mode, i'm stuck.

My most recent attempt failed because the mounted fermi image "hdiutil attach PATH_TO_THE_IMAGE" did not appear in my /Volumes directory as i'd hoped. I also tried "hdiutil mount PATH_TO_IMAGE" to no avail. I received no errors when mounting either which stumped me and i was quite sure that you didn't need to specify a target directory when doing this but i may be wrong.

So right now i think my only option is to ask someone with a fermi GFX card to extract the individual kexts from the installer package or their directory and upload them for me so that i can install them through single user mode. I've really exhausted my troubleshooting abilities and this is my only option as i have no access to an OSX machine. As a "new user" i also can't post in the fermi thread which would be more appropriate.

I've really tried to be as clear as i can in this post, please understand that i'm posting as a last resort and that i have tried to give as much information as i can.

Regardless whether this works or not, thank you so much if you do go to the effort it is sincerely appreciated.

So right now i think my only option is to ask someone with a fermi GFX card to extract the individual kexts from the installer package or their directory and upload them for me so that i can install them through single user mode.

Hi Troll_invader, i have a GTX 460 running quite well in 10.6.6. If you think it can help, tell me how to extract the kexts and i'll upload it for you.

Hi Troll_invader, i have a GTX 460 running quite well in 10.6.6. If you think it can help, tell me how to extract the kexts and i'll upload it for you.

Thanks a lot.

Because you have already installed the driver you should be able to navigate to your /system/library/extensions folder and copy any *.kext file you see relating to nvidia. These are ( I think...):

nvdaResman.kext

nvHalGF100.kext

nvdanv40hal.kext

nvdanv50hal.kext

nvsmu.kext

geforce.kext

etc.

Pretty much anything with an 'nv' infront of it or a geforce. There might be some other files that aren't kexts but if this doesn't work then i'll try them later.

You can use any upload server you want too so don't worry about that to.

Thanks so much for the help, it really is appreciated.

This has nothing to do with your GTX470. GFX errors will show up if the blue screen does not come when it should, ie after NVDANV50HAL has loaded, network has initialized etc.

This AFAIK is happening coz you dint put Disabler.kext. I am assuming you had a panic midway through the install. To fix this, boot into Windows and remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

I think might have done something really bad...

I'm giggling as i write this. I may have accidently just deleted my root directory.

After copying applecpupowermanagement to root from /extensions:

cp -r applecpupowermanagment.kext /

I then pressed the up arrow key to modify the command too:

rm -r applecpupowermanagement.kext /

I then realised quickly after pressing return that my hard drive was erasing itself lol.

So i'm sitting here while its stopped to ask me if it want to override permissions to delete my boot.efi file.

sigh.

Any advice on recovering this data. lol.

I was really enjoying getting comfortable with the unix CLI, i guess this is a right of passage.

I hope this makes someones day.

Perhaps you diagnosed this correctly. But there are other reasons such as sleepenabler.kext.

There is a different version going from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 to 10.6.6 all of which can cause KP

if you leave the old version installed while upgrading.

For 10.6.5 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466

No it wasn't related to sleepenabler as i never had it. I'm currently downloading some recovery software to retrieve a few recent files i had but i have a backup so don't worry. I've turned the computer off for now so the data should remain intact.

I will however just reinstall, its a fairly simple procedure that i'm familiar with. I did notice that someone in the fermi thread got a similar error as i did when they upgraded to 10.6.5 from 10.6.4 and rebooted without installing the driver so i'm quite certain that it would of worked with the appropriate kexts.

Thanks for the help and i'm sorry to have put you out leococoa. Unforeseen circumstances...