Trouble updating JaS 10.5.4 to 10.5.8 via Apple Combo Update

Daurora2008

4 posts in this topic

I am working with a Dell Inspiron 530 and I installed Jas 10.5.4. Following some other instructions I made a 2nd install on a separate partition and I installed it to that partition from the disk inside of the first install. I then installed Chameleon-2.0-r431 to that partition and then ran the 10.5.8 combo update on that partition, all without rebooting. When I went to boot into it I used the boot flags "-v -f" to see what loaded and to watch for errors. Right after the kexts loaded it automatically rebooted. Everytime I try to boot it just keeps rebooting before it reaches the verbose screen. Any idea of what I may have done wrong?

Also the hardware I am working with is a G33 northbridge, an ICH9 southbridge, 2GB of RAM, a Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT card, which will only work on one of the newer updates as far as I know with ATY_Init.kext, and two 500GB hard drives. One is for Mac OS X and one is for Windows 7. Any help getting this done will be appreciated. I would prefer staying with Leopard if it can be helped. If I absolutely must go to Snow Leopard then I will but I would like to avoid it for now. :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention it has an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.18 Ghz processor.

It's not clear what you did - but you can't have two installations of Chameleon on the same hard drive.

You should have overwritten the old bootloader that you installed with Jas 10.5.4, or you could have made a Chameleon boot CD instead.

One Chameleon is perfectly capable of booting several OS X installations on the same hard drive. Or different hard drives.

I am just using the one on the partition for 10.5.8. I was told to try the Voodoo kernel when I could no longer load off of the Vanilla kernel. I got into the verbose screen but now I either have a kernel panic at the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement or like after I move the kext out of the extensions folder I now get a "Waiting on Root Device" message. The chipset supports AHCI but I cannot turn it on in BIOS. I need to find a workaround to get it to boot and I am betting without the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement I am going to run into more problems yet too so I am going to have to find a workaround for that too and return that kext to the extensions folder.