Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
momavujisic

The Fermi "Freeze" Discussion (Possible solutions?)

250 posts in this topic

Wassup folks! Has anyone tried the new Nvidia driver for 10.7.3 yet? http://www.nvidia.co...f01-driver.html

Hi All,

I have a "real" mac pro 3.1 and have experienced this freeze - but only in Firefox 11. I Didn't get a freeze until I updated Cuda from 4.1.9 to 4.2.5

I have hex edited the driver for OpenCL to work.

I have rolled back Cuda to see if this fixes it.

Anyone else experience Fermi freeze in OSX Lion on a real Mac Pro?

My card is an ECS GTX460 1 gb

rolled back Cuda 4.1.9 - Still freezes ala KP

rolled back Open CL hex edit - Still freezes

rolled back to original Nvidia driver 270 - still freezes

Original Apple drivers in Lion do not recognise the card.

Only common denominator is that I have just started using Firefox 11 as my Web Browser.

The Machine ran for hours using Chrome without a hitch.

I will test this as well.

edit: mmm strange no freezes after 2 hours - only using Chrome browser.

Firefox get KPs regularly. Ill stop using FF

Edited by avkdm

Hey Guys, i could install the new Nvidia drivers on my G53jw-A1(macro 3,1) with 460m gtx without any problem, i did not get any freeze since then, and osx is much smoother, but i lost like 4-5 fps in cinebench . Im not using osx for games so as long as it goes smooth with photoshop, web browsers and launch pad, i don't care.

No, there's no solution.

See post #221 up top, it's not a fix, but way better than looping a video. It's annoying when you can't use your media player for other things.

The modified version of CUDA Clock Rate is available earlier in this thread.

hi, thanks for helping.

but can you set the triangles and hide it automatic ?

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Please don't quote entire posts when replying directly below them. Thanks.

No, not as far as I know anyway.

It has a weird issue where command+h (hide) will not work right away. You must open another application first, then bring CUDA clock rate to the front, then you can hide it.

It's not very elegant but I prefer using CUDA clock rate to having some looping video occupying VLC because I use it to listen to music and streaming radios sometimes, not a big fan of iTunes.

I've tried all known solutions, even tested a couple of modified ROMs with altered power states. Nothing works for me except keeping the card occupied.

I've never seen a 100% confirmation that there are no freezes with a GTX 460 when using a modified AGPM.kext. From what I've read so far, it always freezes sooner or later.

Test OS: 10.7.4 arch=i386 -legacy -f npci=0x3000 pmVersion=0 (only 32bit apps work, running on AMD Phenom II X4 940 processor)

Vid Card: eVGA GTS 450

Video Driver: Retail_270.00.00f06.dmg

Cuda Driver: cudadriver-4.2.macos (4.2.7)

When installing I got an error (yellow triangle with exclamation point) I rebooted with black screen, so I connected video to ATI 5450 (I had this one working before installing the GTS 450 and ran Kext Utility and rebooted again, got video working with GraphicsEnabler=Yes)

I haven't experienced a kernel panic or freeze yet.

----------

Test OS: 10.6.8 arch=i386 -force64 (64bit apps work, running on AMD Phenom II X4 940 processor)

Vid Card: eVGA GTS 450

Video Driver: Retail_256.02.25f1v1.dmg

Cuda Driver: cudadriver-4.2.macos (4.2.7)

Everything installed smooth, when I rebooted it worked right away. I haven't tested a lot since I am testing 10.7.4 but it is the latest driver I found from nVidia, possibly could be worth the try.

Hi, I tried DP1 and I don't had any Fermi Freeze in that release, just a few glitches in some web pages with Safari, but I was happy to see that Fermi Freeze has gone. I let pass DP2 and DP3 and tried DP4, I was disappointed when I found the infamous Fermi Freeze.

So in GM I still have the Fermi Freeze.

I like to ask if someone can upload the NVIDIA kext from DP2 in order to try them. I hope that graphic glitches and Fermi Freeze has gone in that release.

I can't find a working place to download DP2.

Please Help!!!

Two days in with retail Mountain Lion and there is no freeze on my GTX460, though I still played with AGPM to guarantee that Mission Control and all animations are buttery smooth.

After almost 2 weeks of use in ML there is no freeze in my gtx 460 (GF104 based no freeze since I install Lion a year ago) and I get autosleep function working. But as I said some post before my GTX 560m (GF116 based) on my G74SX laptop is another history. The Freeze that I and others are suffering seems something else. If I use the sleep function it sleep fine but at wake I get the login screen and flickers and the the screen gets black or corrupted the screen freeze I can move the mouse and I get the beach ball spining. I can hear the system sound The system is still working just the screen is freeze no KP. After hard reset in system log I get some NVDAGL channel exception. The same happens if I use some games at full screen or any time I get the display off After idle. If I try to change screen resolution or get mirror display it freeze at blue screen, but again the system is still alive.

My theory is the GLdriver is not disconected or refreshed in the right way and the FB cannot connecticut again.

Please if some one find some help post it!!

Good luck

I stumbled upon a post on a forum earlier from someone with a Gigabyte board and a 460 GTX who was having freezing issues in Windows. They claimed they fixed it by setting the onboard SATA mode in the BIOS from AHCI to IDE. Might be worth a try for anyone who is having freezes. I haven't had any since moving to 10.8 but I also haven't been using it for anything particularly heavy.

So the only way to solve fermi freeze is by the ML path? Is there no permanent solution other than keeping the VC busy by running video loop or the cuda clock rate apps. Is upgrading to the latest nvidia driver can really solve the problem? need feedback please. --thanks

Lion 1.0.7.4

GTS450

p5kpl-am

E8500

4G

I'm with a fermi and the freeze since the far beginning, tried all solution, patched rom (voltage, freq), agressive agpm, soft agpm, and like gringo i always had the freeze (black square at the top left and later freeze without log in console and the last opengl exception), the only solution was cuda clock rate ...

My card is a Gigabyte

GV-N460OC-1GI

Now, 10.8.2 is out since 3 weeks, and, it's definitive, i get 0 freeze since 3 week ... i tried all the things that can freeze my hack, webgl in safari, idle time, 7 days uptime, sleep and wake and nothing, no freeze, since the beginning, before 10.8.2 a freeze occur in max 2 days.

One more thing, we always tried to avoid the GFX to fall down in state 3, the lower state, i tweaked again my agpm to reach state 3 (GPU core 50mhz, etc ...), i'm with this config since a week, and ... no freeze so far (and no lag) ;)

My config : stock nvidia drivers from 10.8.2 - dsdt injection for my GFX (same as GE=yes) - cuda drivers and opencl fix

Since Lion came out not a single Freeze here. I have a GTX 460 from Zotac. I use the AGPM for GTX 260 inside Mac Pro 5.1 profile, my card use all the 4 PM states and no lag and full performance.

Now I'm on ML 10.8.2 and OpenCL is enabled by default.

How can you boot with MacPro 5,1 profile without getting a KP on TyMCE kext? Do you have to remove that kext with every system update?

Since Lion came out not a single Freeze here. I have a GTX 460 from Zotac. I use the AGPM for GTX 260 inside Mac Pro 5.1 profile, my card use all the 4 PM states and no lag and full performance.

I had a freeze recently when launching Firefox on my setup. I havent used AGPM for a long time, so I'll give this a try. If nothing else it will get rid of the AGPM unknown platform message during boot. Did you just change the device ID to match and leave everything else as it was?

I still have to patch for OpenCL though.

How can you boot with MacPro 5,1 profile without getting a KP on TyMCE kext? Do you have to remove that kext with every system update?

It's cleaner to use a disabler kext. Here's mine. It disables ApplePolicyControl, AppleTyMCEDriver and AppleUpstreamUserClient. Look at the info.plist to see how it's done.

Disabler.kext.zip

Where I can check kernel panics log? I have GTS450 with GraphicsEnabler=Yes 10.9

Got some console text over GUI and then it works normal. This is freeze?

BTW how GraphicsEnabler works?