Native Install on 2nd Partition

stelriah

2 posts in this topic

I used the Gentoo LiveCD in VMWare to format the 2nd of two partitions on my physical master hard drive following this guide:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Dual_Booting

The guide tells me to reboot VMWare and Windows after I have formatted the drive with HFS format, but when I reboot windows takes long time to boot and when I try to boot up the virtual machine again it tells me that I need to remount the primary hard drive because the format has changed. I thought I would give it a go anyway and try installing Darwin, but as it starts to uncompress the files its says warning: error writing file after every decompress.

I have Tiger x86 already installed in VMWare on another virtual machine. Is there another way for me to install this natively on my machine so I can dual boot windows and OSX?

I got this off of another board this morning and it worked like a charm.

I have a quad boot system (test laptop for work) that has 3 XP partitions (for VPN client testing) and now an OS-X partition.

I used the deadmoo image. The trick is writing the image to an empty partition that is at least 6gb. Since it is a partition and not the entire disk, skip the first 63 sectors (since I believe it contains the MBR). Anyway, I'm not going to go into great detail, since it sounds like you know what you're doing. The most important things are:

use fdisk on your Linux LiveCD and make the empty partion type af

dd if=tiger-flat.img of=/dev/hdaX bs=512 skip=63

You could then use GRUB or some other bootloader. My laptop acutally uses System Commander and it detected the partition just fine.

Good luck!