Installing WindowsXP on a Mac Pro

orbitalpunk

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys. Has anyone been successful in installing xp on there mac pro. If so, what exact version. I've tried twice and ive gotten errors both times. I wonder if its because of the version of XP im using. I have xp pro student upgrade with sp1. so i slipstreamed sp2 into and made a new disc. the first time without sp2 i got the blue screen of death when setup started. the second time before setup started a message appeared saying my device configuration it not right. also this is done with out boot camp. Im just boot from the cd and install on a separate hard drive. and ive tried in slot 1 and slot 1.

thanks for any advice.

I use maya and maya is not UB so its very slow. not really usable.

Thanks again!

I'm not sure.. but does xp really support 2 duel core cpus? I know is supports 2 cpus and duel core cpus, but I have never seen a 2 duel core cpu system run xp. I really hope i'm wrong, but you might need to get the Windows 2003 server. (i would get it legaly with an I... at least to test and see if that installs.)

If you're going to install XP into a Mac Pro, I strongly recommend that you try the X64 edition, or you won't take advantage of everything the processor has to offer. You can even get a free 120-day trial from Microsoft! :blink:

I'm not sure.. but does xp really support 2 duel core cpus? I know is supports 2 cpus and duel core cpus, but I have never seen a 2 duel core cpu system run xp. I really hope i'm wrong, but you might need to get the Windows 2003 server. (i would get it legaly with an I... at least to test and see if that installs.)

Windows XP does work with 2 dual cores... I'm running windows XP on my dual-dual-core opteron right now and it does use all of the processors (depending on the program).

Unfortunately I cannot get OSx86 to install on it.

I installed WinXP SP2 on my Mac Pro Quad 2.66, windows works fine but the driver disk doesnt, if you dont mind having 4 bit colour windows runs really quick.

Are you using the latest 1.1 version of the drivers? They are supposed to support the Mac Pro now...