rkwok

ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

843 posts in this topic

When I connect the iPod or my digital camera, in system profiler it says (USB devices) "up to 1,5MB/s" or "up to 12Mb/s". (Which is the same).

It should say "Up to 480Mb/s" and that's the USB 2.0 speed.

I was copying 300MB of photos and calculated the time, it's working in 1.1 mode. In Windows it's superfast.

running JaS 10.4.7 + JaS 10.4.8 update...

Advertisement
When I connect the iPod or my digital camera, in system profiler it says (USB devices) "up to 1,5MB/s" or "up to 12Mb/s". (Which is the same).

I was copying 300MB of photos and calculated the time, it's working in 1.1 mode. In Windows it's superfast.

When I connect the WIFI USB dongle, it says "Up to 480 Mb/sec".

I get following when running Speakeasy speedtest thru USB dongle:

Download Speed: 6678 kbps (834.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 352 kbps (44 KB/sec transfer rate).

So it looks like it is above the USB 1.1, no?

TopazBar: actually your dl speed is in the USB 1.1 range (1.5MB/sec)

Yes, upload speed is 6Mbps, however.

EDIT: nevermind.

EDIT2: system profiler reports it as "up to 480 Mb/s". DL speed of 6Mb/s and UP speed of .3 Mb/s.

b=bits and B=bytes.

I suppose the USB debug was no good?

TopazBar

Your system seems to recognize the USB2.0, however your devices just don't run at that speed. But system recognizes it. Mine just says it's "up to 1,5MB/s". Your says "up to 480Mb/s" which is USB2.0...

SammyOSX86 - no, it made my USB completly dead. I had to restore IOUSBFamily.kext from backup.

If you've had sucess in installing drivers, etc, why not post the configuration steps on the wiki:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/ConRoe945G-DVi

This thread is very useful and some of the key configuration issues regarding sound, LAN, etc should be condensed down to a single page to help newbies configure and get working before posting questions. A 21 page thread is a lot to read! :D

If you've had sucess in installing drivers, etc, why not post the configuration steps on the wiki:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/ConRoe945G-DVi

This thread is very useful and some of the key configuration issues regarding sound, LAN, etc should be condensed down to a single page to help newbies configure and get working before posting questions. A 21 page thread is a lot to read! :D

Really good idea.

Thanks for all the recommendations folks! My 'new' mac is working fine (details in sig.) after being freshly built last weekend. I think my MacBook is a little jealous at losing some attention :D I had good success running XP off of an SATA drive and OSX from a PATA, being able to boot either from the BIOS drive selection screen. Thanks for all the hard work, and I'll continue to watch the forums (and keep the ISO torrent seeded) in hopes of seeing more people try out OSX.

FYI - my ConRoe945G-DVI shipped with BIOS 1.10

Thanks for all the recommendations folks! My 'new' mac is working fine (details in sig.) after being freshly built last weekend. I think my MacBook is a little jealous at losing some attention :D I had good success running XP off of an SATA drive and OSX from a PATA, being able to boot either from the BIOS drive selection screen. Thanks for all the hard work, and I'll continue to watch the forums (and keep the ISO torrent seeded) in hopes of seeing more people try out OSX.

FYI - my ConRoe945G-DVI shipped with BIOS 1.10

Welcome to the forum and Conroe945 owner's club.

Yah, this mobo is a real kick ass for its price. I will happily use this mobo again for future builds.

I check prices on Apple's site for desktops, notebooks and accessories. I love Apple cosmetics on hardware, but prices...too much for me (I want 17" MBP). I would like get a 17" MBP without guts, so I can build them in from 3rd party hardware (however, you and I know that is not possible because of Apple's closed system policy).

Infamous, the mac pro certainly isnt lightning fast, the desicion to use FB memory really affects the system.

And yes if th eapps support mor eprocesors they can have SOME advantage i have tested it but it isnt 200%

at most 20%

wich i think is very poor for the cpu diference and the price

cheers

aberracus, yes FB memory is a bit slower.

However, people who buy Mac Pro's work with HD video/sound/hi-res graphics.

Applications like Shake, Aperture, Final Cut, Photoshop (new CS3) are optimized for 4-8 cores. It's not 20% really. Rendering is at least twice as fast.

And i don't mean watching The Simpsons Xvid file when I say "rendering". We're talking about cutting 1080p HD video here :D

...Try to open 20 megapixel photo and convert it to CMYK. Any PC with Conroe ~ 2500mhz will CRY for 2 minutes. Then try the same on Mac Pro 2.66 - or 3ghz...

So I'm talking about some advanced work - where you can see the power of MP. It's obvious you can see only 20% when testing in XBench or... Firefox startup time :D

TopazBar - actually if you build a machine which contains absolutely the same hardware parts as any Apple computer has, you'll find out Apple machines are even cheaper... I've tried it and compared.

I've had hard time adding RAM to this board. Tried Corsair TWIN2x2048-5400C and the board won't post, unless I only use (any) one stick.

I asked tech support at ASRock and they said the board was tested to work with "standard DDR II RAM without any problem", where their definition of standard is "The ASRock mainboard is to work with Non Ecc ,Low Density RAM. PC533 and PC 667 with voltage 1.8."

Corsair is 1.9V, but I've seen listed on the web "conroe945g compatible" 1.9V modules that supposedly work with the board.

Does anyone have any experience running >1.8V modules on conroe945g? Anandtech review of the board lists test with 1.95V.

Other than the memory issues, OSX has been running great on it.

I've had hard time adding RAM to this board. Tried Corsair TWIN2x2048-5400C and the board won't post, unless I only use (any) one stick.

I asked tech support at ASRock and they said the board was tested to work with "standard DDR II RAM without any problem", where their definition of standard is "The ASRock mainboard is to work with Non Ecc ,Low Density RAM. PC533 and PC 667 with voltage 1.8."

Corsair is 1.9V, but I've seen listed on the web "conroe945g compatible" 1.9V modules that supposedly work with the board.

Does anyone have any experience running >1.8V modules on conroe945g? Anandtech review of the board lists test with 1.95V.

Other than the memory issues, OSX has been running great on it.

I cannot help you. I can only recommend a few thing. BTW, I have 1.8 v corsair valueselect.

Try different memory options, like timing and such, after you pass post with just one module.

If that doesn't work, return them and get new ones.

Can we raise memory voltage on this mobo?

the best thing to do with this board is to get some memory rated at the default 1.8 voltage...it probably can be slightly overvolted, but not enough to make some high performance modules run on it...

thanks everyone for advice and guidance :(

I've just got this board in together with Pentium D processor. didn't even have to reinstall the system after using it on Intel 915G board and P4 HT !

thanks to everyone who runs the wiki and HCL too :)

@infamous, nop not true really, i have rendered with FCP5.1.1.2 HD movie (small movie) 7 seconds on the Mac pro with 2 GB 2.66 Ghz, in my mobo it was 9 secs. so its faster yes but it isnt that fast.

And, i tried Pothosop CS2 on a Mac Pro 2.66 with 1 Gb ram with a Gigantic targa of 6000x6000 and applied many effects including cmyk, i have done exactly the same in my mobo and the diferene is under 15 seconds (from 3.35 wich taked all the tests.)

So really its not THAT fast.

Remember one thing SMP is not the sum of all the cores, more cores more power but it isnt a multiplier.

Im sure, absolutely sure, that with CS3 and some tweaking in FCP they will be able to get more juice from the Macpro multicore, but in the meantime we will have the new Quadcores too, so we wil be obviously behind, but we will be filling their mirrors (as said in the F1 races).

BTW Full usb speeds here.

cheers

Was a bit shocked to find that my favourite stockists don't stock the on board graphics version of this card. Buyer beware - look for letter 'G', as in 945G - when buying the asrock board, unless you want to buy a graphics card. You can find the G version of the board on froogle.co.uk but... I don't know any of the few vendors list. Yikes!

protools-wow!

nice hardware placement in g5 case :]

ah. my question about your xbench results-it's possible to have about 130 scores when i put to my config (signature) a coreduo6300 CPU? I need to have more performance in flash8 and photoshop...what can i replace to have noticeable performance change. thx

protools-wow!

nice hardware placement in g5 case :]

ah. my question about your xbench results-it's possible to have about 130 scores when i put to my config (signature) a coreduo6300 CPU? I need to have more performance in flash8 and photoshop...what can i replace to have noticeable performance change. thx

Sorry, but my system is an original Jas 10.4.6 to 7 installation, no other mods.

Hi Topazbar and friends! I have been seduced - I managed to find a local stockist for this board and no stockists at all in the UK for the Gigabyte GA-945G-S3.

My system so far, horizontally speaking:-

The famous Asrock, a manufacturer unknown to me but...

I will use the on-board graphics

Core Duo 2 E6300

Western Digital SATA2 320gig

What is the preferred memory for this board and what cooler/cooling solutions should I go for? I would like to overclock a little. :)

if you can find my memory, its excellent..

Asrock is the little brother of asus (now ASUS /Gigabyte after the merge), its the Economic brand of asus.