rkwok

ASrock Conroe945G-DVI

843 posts in this topic

for my "performance" PC I have a 6600, which has a 4MB of L2 cache and overcklock quite well. But the 6400 if for sure the best deal...I aid about 200 Euro for it, against the 300 for the 6600.

All the C2D are great, anyway...I'd say the best CPU since the Motorola 68030 :whistle: hehe

Advertisement
XanthraX: when installing, select 'custom', and select both the common (intel+AMD) and SSE3 packages. You don't need GMA900 support.

Installed with your recommendations. After pluggin' the DVI cards, I could finish the personalisation. But the system works with many hangs and Safari or any applications crash inexpectately. I have QE and CI, but the system is still unusable.

I have a VGA CRT monitor and PS2 keyboard and mouse. Is necessary USB input periferrals? Look at my specifications, the system works flavessly, this computer is of one friend, that I recommended Asrock Conroe 945-DVI and I am close to give up now.

Please, specific me your BIOS settings, maybe there to be errors.

I noticed Windows works flavewsly on this computer, I don't think the motherborad to be broken.

Thanks again

Installed with your recommendations. After pluggin' the DVI cards, I could finish the personalisation. But the system works with many hangs and Safari or any applications crash inexpectately. I have QE and CI, but the system is still unusable.

Did you upgrade your BIOS? Latest is 1.2.

I have a VGA CRT monitor and PS2 keyboard and mouse. Is necessary USB input periferrals? Look at my specifications, the system works flavessly, this computer is of one friend, that I recommended Asrock Conroe 945-DVI and I am close to give up now.

PS2 keyboard and mouse works fine. You can even use USB mouse.

Please, specific me your BIOS settings, maybe there to be errors.

I noticed Windows works flavewsly on this computer, I don't think the motherborad to be broken.

Thanks again

There is nothing wrong with your machine. So don't give up and try Jas 10.4.7.

You guys shouldn't compare Mac Pro vs Hackintosh CoreDuo2. Not in Xbench ;) It's not optimized for dual Xeons, each 2 cores. Those Xeons (2,66 - 3.0) are WAY MUCH faster.

Run some 3D app benchmark/video processing, and you'll find out Mac Pro is 200% ahead.

Anyway, i've seeon some REAL benchmarks and 2,3GHZ Core Duo2 with 4MB cache (iMac) is the same speed as Mac Pro with dual Xeon 2GHZ. In Photoshop especially, even faster by some percents. Very cool. (but that could be of course because of Rosetta not optimized for 4 cores which MP has)

And try this -

Mactracker provides detailed information on every Apple Macintosh computer ever made, including items such as processor speed, memory, optical drives, graphic cards, supported Mac OS versions, and expansion options. Also included is information on Apple mice, keyboards, displays, printers, scanners, digital cameras, iPod, AirPort Base Stations, Newton, and Mac OS versions.

screenshot406.jpg

http://www.mactracker.ca/

the new Core 2 Quad CPUs will be released any time soon (in november, I guess). There's the 2.66Ghz version which looks very promising, even if it costs a lot. I'll wait at least one year and half for an upgrade, but those who didn't get the C2D now, could want to try those out before deciding...

Infamous- I agree that xbench doesn't take those 4 cores into enough consideration, but those xeons are functionally identical to conroe processors, and in a task that doesn't take advantage of all 4 cores (gaming, day to day stuff, etc..), an equally clocked conroe would kick a mac pro's ass due to WAY better memory access. See the bottom two charts here in anandtech's review of the mac pro:

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2816&p=11

of course, in a quad core optimized application, the mac pro would win, but only in that situation, otherwise an overclocked e6300 could topple the pro

Hey:

I have this board + E6300. should I install WITH or WITHOUT the SSE3 patch?

sorry it's such a n00b question, but I'm very new to this.

thank you

After three days of tinkering, I gave up on getting dual boot to work. I've tried basically every trick in the book and a couple of new ones.

I have tried installing windows first, on a 30gig NTFS partition, and then getting OSX to boot from a second primary AF partition but no dice. It looks like the darwin boot loader gets stuck on scanning for partitions or smth.

I have tried installing OSX first, and then adding a second partition (NTFS) and installing windows on there. Windows won't boot, and the installer CD actually crashes during the 'scanning hardware' step.

All in all, I've installed both operating systems at least three or four times now, and it basically just doesn't work in any setup. Right now, OSX is running happily from the its partition at the start of my 200gb disk, but windows won't run from the second partition. The darwin bootloader thoroughly crashes when I press f8 at startup too :tomato:

I've been able to dual boot win32/vista/ubuntu from the same disk before, so I suppose darwin is the real {censored} in this situation. Another problem could be the fact that I am using a leftover 200gb PATA disk instead of SATA.

Oh well, in a couple of weeks I'm getting my salary from the uni, wich means I'll be able to buy a cheap SATA disk and then we can give dual booting from two seperate disks a try.

In the meanwhile I'm trying to get used to OSX. It's really tough because I really feel lost. For instance, when I am coding in Eclipse, the 'end' button takes me to the end of the entire text, unlike to the end of the line like in win32/linux (any fixes for that anyone?) Another annoyance is the mouse wich slows down when you move it slowly (it becomes more 'accurate', can I turn that off somewhere?)

Another issue is the virtual desktop support. I am using something called 'desktop manager', but I can't seem to persuade it to actually move open windows to other desktops. What are you guys using?

I did get sound to work quite easily, thanks for the support everyone! Now all I need is to install the GLan driver and I'm done.

I'm really liking OSX from a first glance. The filesystem is much more logical than with Lunix, and it's much more geeky than windows. It's a nice in-between for me!

Picture of my set-up:

2wlub0y.jpg

(laptop on the right is win32)

xbench speed is 135.05

After three days of tinkering, I gave up on getting dual boot to work. I've tried basically every trick in the book and a couple of new ones.
Triple booting was easy for me (Sata disk = osx and xp; IDE disk = win 98)
The darwin bootloader thoroughly crashes when I press f8 at startup too :tomato:
Something is wrong. hmmm. Do this for me "fdisk /dev/rdisk0" and post the result.
In the meanwhile I'm trying to get used to OSX. It's really tough because I really feel lost. For instance, when I am coding in Eclipse, the 'end' button takes me to the end of the entire text, unlike to the end of the line like in win32/linux (any fixes for that anyone?) Another annoyance is the mouse wich slows down when you move it slowly (it becomes more 'accurate', can I turn that off somewhere?)
Are you using PS2 or USB mouse?

Another issue is the virtual desktop support. I am using something called 'desktop manager', but I can't seem to persuade it to actually move open windows to other desktops. What are you guys using?
There is another one call Virtue:http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/virtue.html
I'm really liking OSX from a first glance. The filesystem is much more logical than with Lunix, and it's much more geeky than windows. It's a nice in-between for me!

xbench speed is 135.05

Nice laptop computer, but the desktop looks like it is made from cardboard boxes. :D

I have this MB & E6300, I'm running into problem when booting up MacOSx... basically, in the start-up screen. I choose MAC, then a huge list starts to scroll on the screen, eventually, screen goes blank, computer reboots...

i have no problem booting up windows tho.

I am installing onto a SATAII HD, is that the problem? Basically, I have windows installed onto NTFS, and MAC installed onto HFS+ (i did that erase with Journaled thing in OSX before installing it.)

anyone can help?

nobody replied to my "old" question, yet: how can I use the disk utility in MacOS to make my USB drive bootable?

You don't need MacOS to boot from USB or any other drive. Just press F11 when you are POSTing to enter the BIOS device boot selector. If you have the thumb drive plugged in, it should show up as an option.

In fact I think this is the easiest way to dual boot, if you have multiple HDs, or even thumb drives. Just put OS X on one drive and win xp on another and voila, press F11 whenever you want to boot into another OS!

rainman01: I know that, but as I explained some posts ago, my external HD won't boot MacOS. I myself have two sata hard drives in my PC, one with WinXP, one with MacOS, and I switch among the two OSs in that way.

But when it comes to external HD, I can't make my MacOS to work...

Some ppl here advised me to set the drive as bootable, but I don't know how to do that with the disk utility enbedded in MacOS...

rainman01: I know that, but as I explained some posts ago, my external HD won't boot MacOS. I myself have two sata hard drives in my PC, one with WinXP, one with MacOS, and I switch among the two OSs in that way.

But when it comes to external HD, I can't make my MacOS to work...

Some ppl here advised me to set the drive as bootable, but I don't know how to do that with the disk utility enbedded in MacOS...

Boot OSX from Sata drive and type these commands as root:

bless -device /dev/diskXsY -startupfile /usr/standalone/i386/boot

bless -folder /Volumes/USBdrivename -bootBlockFile /usr/standalone/i386/boot1h -setBoot

USBdrivename=volume name of your drive

X=USBdrive number

Y=partition number in USBdrive

TopazBar: than you very much...I only have a partition on that disk, is there anything I have to change in the syntax you wrote?

No.

Just to confirm your partitions, type this command as root:

fdisk /dev/rdiskX

This command will show partitions of your USB drive.

Same here. I was very angry so I went out and bought another SATA drive for OS X.

Oh well, in a couple of weeks I'm getting my salary from the uni, wich means I'll be able to buy a cheap SATA disk and then we can give dual booting from two seperate disks a try.

Best idea for dual booting :D

Home/End is replaced by Apple + left arrow/ Apple + right arrow. It's more logical when you get used to it. But takes some time. I recommend to map your Apple key to ALT, so it's physically placed on the same position as real apple keyboard. (and ALT to Winkey). It can be done in Keyboard preferences.

For the mouse "issue", i recommend SteerMouse. Best USB mouse control panel for OS X, even real Mac users use it for their Mighty Mouse very often. I've got Logitech MX1000 so i'm using its original OS X drivers from Logitech website and they work great.

Try VirtueDesktops. Perfect application for virtual desktops. Not that good as Spaces in Leopard, but definately a great alternative.

For the mouse "issue", i recommend SteerMouse. Best USB mouse control panel for OS X, even real Mac users use it for their Mighty Mouse very often. I've got Logitech MX1000 so i'm using its original OS X drivers from Logitech website and they work great.

Try VirtueDesktops. Perfect application for virtual desktops. Not that good as Spaces in Leopard, but definately a great alternative.

Thanks Infamous, SteerMouse is great. I used to use USBoverdrive, but I think this is even better!

I am using VirtueDesktops also. I used to use VirtualDesktop Pro from Codetek, but somehow it doesn't really work with my hackintosh (all the windows show up on every desktop). Anyone have any experience?

Also, anyone know of any utility that can do focus follow mouse without raising the window (like Linux/Unix, and powertoys in windows XP)? If anyone cares to know you can do this in Terminal by typing:

defaults write com.apple.Terminal FocusFollowsMouse -string YES

and for X11 windows, type:

defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_ffm true

However, this only works in Terminal and X11 and it doesn't work b/t X11 and terminal windows. I would like to do this for ALL windows...

However, this only works in Terminal and X11 and it doesn't work b/t X11 and terminal windows. I would like to do this for ALL windows...

Oh, dear god, let us have Focus-follows-mouse for all windows (end of prayer).

Are you guys getting USB2.0 speeds with this mobo?

I think it's working in 1.1 mode. Slow. Anyone knows how to make it full speed?

Hi Infamous,

I missed reading your post because I enjoy it.

Anyhew, why do you think it is working in 1.1 mode?

I used to run WIFI-wireless USB dongle (54G) at full speed. Now I run RTL8111B. I can go back to previous setup if you need detailed info to prove or disapprove that USB is running at 1.1 or 2.0.