¿How to fix boot on macosx?

lordeath

24 posts in this topic

I have a 10.4.7 macosx working on my system.

After cloning the disk (xtrac), I can't boot.

If install dvd is in.. System boots fine.

If not.. system doesn't run.

Partiton is active, and it has default (dos?)mbr code.

I'd like to know which commands are for rewrite and repair boot code... (In system prefs, there isn't my Current Disk, only shows Net boot)

Disclaimer I accept no responsibilty for a dead hard drive or loss of data but this should work for you i have had the same problem before.

Boot into single user mode (-s at boot prompt) and type the following:

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk bs=512 count=1
/usr/sbin/startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1 /usr/standalone/i386/boot
bless -device /dev/disk0 -setBoot

This assumes you are using the first hard drive.

I have compiled startupfiletool (from Apple's own open source pages) and included it in this post you need to place this file in /usr/sbin.

jrsdead

startupfiletool.zip

I tried this, as I am having an issue booting form my cloned OS X disk done with SuperDuper, and cannot boot.

I am not having luck.

I follow the instructions, and get errors.

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk bs=512 count=1 <THIS LINE EXECUTES OK

/usr/sbin/startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1 /usr/standalone/i386/boot <LOCKED MESSAGE

bless -device /dev/disk0 -setBoot <CANNOT GET TO THIS POINT BEFORE PREVIOUS IS EXECUTED?

I placed the startupfiletool in place this file in /usr/sbin.

I did this in single user mode, (had to boot from a Install DVD).

I get a device is locked message.

I can boot from DVD and run OS X from the HD, just cannot boot.

What am I doing wrong?

Sure my partition is primary, 0xaf and active. There isn't problem with that.

Last night I was trying to copy bootsector like you

"dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk bs=512 count=1" but using chain0... no sucess..

Now this morning I haver installed a dvd osx on that partition, it somehow wrote the bootmanager again... now I am copying with xtar again all my system to there..

Thanx for this utility startupfiletool, I currently don't know what is.. but surely it will be usefull from now.

¿And finally, can anyone explain me what is bless?

I have read a lot.. but I can't understand...

bless -device /dev/disk0 -setBoot <-- ¿Is another way to setup boot?

Regarding:

"sorry i made a mistake startupfiletool should be run from another partiton to the one you are trying to make boot as it should be unmounted this will stop the drive locked message"

Can you elaborate on SPECIFIC directions for us newbiew.

(you mean hook up another drive, run it from there?)

OK, formatted, partitioned two ways, GUID and APM, neither way makes a difference after partitioning, and cloning.

Data is there, still cannot boot.

Boot into single user mode with OLD smaller HD, new, cloned HD is hanging off of USB.

startupfiletool is in /usr/sbin dir on old drive as well as new drive

I run this line:

ERROR MESSAGE IS: Operation is not supported

I run this line:

ERROR MESSAGE IS: No such file or directory

ERROR MESSAGE: Could not find IODeviceTree:/options

(IF external HD is disk1 and not disk0 and I change to be disk1 in lines above, different errors, still ng)

Also, is USB disk1?

If I execute diskutil list, nothing happens in single user mode, for many minutes.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a 10.4.7 macosx working on my system.

After cloning the disk (xtrac), I can't boot.

If install dvd is in.. System boots fine.

If not.. system doesn't run.

Partiton is active, and it has default (dos?)mbr code.

I'd like to know which commands are for rewrite and repair boot code... (In system prefs, there isn't my Current Disk, only shows Net boot)

i do have the same problem

10.4.6 dvd install work fines

when i use 10.4.7 dvd install on the same partition, i can't boot whitout the install dvd in drive; without the dvd, i've got a "error loading OS" message and stuck

My partition is active, i verified it

Does anyone can help me ?

Thanks

i also have the boot problem

i have installed 10.4.7 on my ide drive

some days ago i buy new sata drive and installed 10.4.6 on it and i can't boot directly from sata drive - as all of you - only with DVD.

and i still can boot from IDE drive.

broke my head how to boot from SATA w/o DVD

I would like to suggest the CHAIN0 method which worked suitably fine for me. In this method you copy the "CHAIN0" file from the Mac OS X Tiger DVD to your primary partition and edit the "boot.ini" file by adding the line c:\chain0="Mac OS X" at the end. (Here C: drive is considered as a primary partition)

Now you can easily boot in the Mac OS X and as well as any of the Windows version !

I had the same problem. The Install DVD would work perfect on my laptop. But my desktop, would just not f*cking boot. All active everything. Cloned my lappys disk, no go. If my lappys disk was in my Comp, it would bought. I just wanted to tear my hair out. Finally I downloaded the JaS 10.4.6 version, and it works sweeeeeeeet.

In my opinion get the JaS 10.4.6 or 7 image

Also if it worked before cloning, reinstall and copy all your files back. Simpler easier way. Oh ya, I use Disk Utility to make clones. Works perfect.

• 4 weeks later...
Disclaimer I accept no responsibilty for a dead hard drive or loss of data but this should work for you i have had the same problem before.

I have compiled startupfiletool (from Apple's own open source pages) and included it in this post you need to place this file in /usr/sbin.

jrsdead

Thanks worked perfect. I am not sure the bless command is needed. I had errors with that but it boots fine.

Don

ok I was on the same boat as all you guys with lappys and fubared when it came to booting the damn os by itself. So you got osx installed but doesnt boot like windows does *simple* get acronis disk director bootable disk, make a 10mb partition of fat32. then I would load OS Selector on that Fat32 Partition. hehe and then when you reboot the system bam!!!!!! unrecognised OS is now bewtable!!!! and to think i was fuct installing OSX on a formatted journal extended disk. anyway the os selector does work i have it set to a 6 sec timeout and it loads osx well did until i tried to load server :censored2: but that should work for anyone who is trying to boot osx by itself and when setting it active doesnt budge os selector will make it budge :censored2: cheerz

• 2 weeks later...
How do you place this file in /usr/sbin? I can't seem to find that directory.

Thanks,

Stephen

In terminal sudo -s then password

cp (drag file to terminal window it will fill in path here) /usr/bin

Let us know if it works

Don

• 2 weeks later...
Finder -> Go menu -> Go to Folder...

Type: /usr/sbin

this assumes u can still boot somehow into osx. I can't. i think these errors are due to playing around with the other partitions. Somehow it screwes the 512 bytes where boot1h should reside on teh hfs+ partition.

so my problem is that i can't run startuptool from another partition since I can't copy it on the dvd.

this assumes u can still boot somehow into osx. I can't. i think these errors are due to playing around with the other partitions. Somehow it screwes the 512 bytes where boot1h should reside on teh hfs+ partition.

so my problem is that i can't run startuptool from another partition since I can't copy it on the dvd.

Not sure maybe if you have a floppy. I don't have one so I dont even now if they work. Maybe it is time to reinstall with one of the new 10.4.8 dvds floating around.

Will it boot from the dvd?

Not sure maybe if you have a floppy. I don't have one so I dont even now if they work. Maybe it is time to reinstall with one of the new 10.4.8 dvds floating around.

Will it boot from the dvd?

HEHE! Made actually two partitions ah on teh internal HD and reinstalled on the first one 10.4.7 and guess what when you first boot up after installation it asks you to copy your files and settings from another mac/partition and so I specified my dead-boot external HD and transferred all teh settings and files, and applications. Sweeet!

I only ha dto apply three patches for network(ethernet and wireless) and battery/powerbundle. Sound worked natively. I am on a dell latitude d600. I don't have the 10.4.8 install dvds but I think I will stay with 10.4.7 since everything works for me except the video acceleration but taht noone can make it work on thsi card yet since there are no drivers.

• 1 year later...

probably i donno something, but what was a reason to compile and upload the startupfiletool if it's already supplied with an install DVD?

jrsdead

• 2 years later...

Oh Thank god! I have my blessed Mac Back!

FYI You dont need the startupfiletool anymore. Read the readme file in:

/usr/standalone/i386 on the install cd

It has the instructions to do an fdisk to overwrite the MBR and if needed the partition boot sector too. It's pretty easy. I wouldnt have found that readme without your post though...so thanks a bunch!

Also, I see a lot of people complaining about write problems to the drive...dont forget to umount the disk before writes. This solves the gptsync "data write failed at position 0: Bad file descriptor". Find out what is mounted with the "mount" command.

jrsdead