Snow Leo works on VMWare 7.1.3 Build 324285 on Sandy Bridge i7 2600K

sungmj

13 posts in this topic

I was using Snow Leo on Core2Quad machine, and moved the same image onto the sandy bridge machine..

and Snow won't boot what so ever....

Error was.. "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point."

google'd bing'd for 2 days.. couldn't find solution..

but today I got my answer here!

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

This was the magic line in the vmx file... added, did the magic for me!! Yeay!!

This forum rocks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same problem and it was driving me mad... My vmware image was already a 10.6.6 but freezed on boot.

Adding the cpuid to the vmx file correct the problem.

Thank you all very much for the tip....

Even with 10.6.6 this solved this for me as well even after doing all of the other fixes. Dell stock XPS 8300 with i7 2600. Did it as a final thing even though it was not supposed to be necessary.

• 1 month later...
I was using Snow Leo on Core2Quad machine, and moved the same image onto the sandy bridge machine..

Error was.. "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point."

This forum rocks!

Hi, I just upgraded from a Core2Duo to sandy bridge machine too. I'm having the same error code and everything. I'm very new to this and have never edited a .vmx file before. My question is, where do I put that code in the .vmx file? Can I just use wordpad? And, should it be exactly how you typed it or sans the quotes? Posting an image would very helpful!

Thanks for your time

Thanks for the fast reply. I've added cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101" to the .vml file with notepad and I'm still getting the "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point." message. I'm going to keep trying.

• 3 weeks later...

This forum rocks!

Thanks a lot, i suffer this problem for a week already. I am trying to setup a new VM. Also thanks google for getting me here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This forum rocks!

This line worked on my core i7 2600 as well, running vmware 7.1.3 build-324285. I updated from a clean dvd install of OS X 10.6

Hi there,

im running Vmware V7.1.2. on a Sandy bridge 2600. I can install Mac OSX but when its in completed the error returns "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point."

I already inserted the CPUID line in the VMX file, but without succes. does it matter where its placed in the file or?

I hope you guys can help me out? Sorry for missing additional information.... Let me know...

Greetz 7oost

Hi there,

im running Vmware V7.1.2. on a Sandy bridge 2600. I can install Mac OSX but when its in completed the error returns "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point."

I already inserted the CPUID line in the VMX file, but without succes. does it matter where its placed in the file or?

I hope you guys can help me out? Sorry for missing additional information.... Let me know...

Greetz 7oost

Got is working :) You have to be sure that you run the right VMWare version, announced earlier this topic.