Lenovo Z560 installation

mastershredder

55 posts in this topic

Alright all you insanelymac nutters. First attempt at a tutorial. If any of you have Lenovo Z560 or similar then this guide should serve you well. This may be one of the most compatible laptops out there for installing OS X on. The only real dissapointment is the audio chip. unfortunately you have to use voodooHDA to enable full audio support but alas a custom DSDT for this laptop allows system profiler to show correct audio information while using VoodooHDA. I really should not do this guide like this but i really cba to show everyone how to do the various DSDT modifications. lets have a look at compatibility first.

CPU: Intel core i3 350m works duh! with speedstep

RAM: 2GB sodimm 1066 MHz works again duh!

GPU: nVidia 310m works perfect via DSDT or chameleon

Audio: Conexant CX20671/20585 works via voodooHDA system profiler show correct info via DSDT

LAN: Realtek RTL8103E(L) works with driver from realtek

Wifi: Atheros 9285 works via DSDT or legacy extension

Trackpad: synaptics v7 two finger scrolling and other gestures work

Battery: works via VoodooPower

Card Reader: Realtek USB works via AnyCardReader.kext

The installation was via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] however i did not use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] afterwards personally i like it even more vanilla than [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] however because i3 were not supported natively until 10.6.3 we are stuck unless you have a snow leopard disc that is using 10.6.3 or higher. i believe i had to use -x -v -f as options to get where i needed to install the OS. make sure ahci is enabled in bios or you will not get as far as installation. Once booted into operating system i updated to 10.6.6 combo and recieved a kernel panic at the end of instalation dont worry just reboot again with -x -f and run the installer again. once updated all you will have to do is install latest chameleon to EFI partition and stick the contents of my EFI partition on there and you will be up and running after a reboot:P the only thing that needs to be done manually is install voodooHDA 2.7.2 to /system/library/extensions you can also run voodoohda off the EFI partition but i decided not to as you need a few extra extensions to make it work so defeats the point really. then all you have to do is install the realtek driver for Ethernet.

i have my installation as dual boot with windows 7 if you dont know how to do this then ask elsewhere it is fairly easy simple breakdown is boot snow leopard installation format disk as GUID 2 partitions one as Macintosh HD HFS+ filesystem and the other as windows set as fat32. continue install of snow leopard get to desktop reboot install windows 7 to windows fat32 partition. reboot back into snow leopard with boot cd and install latest chameleon to EFI partition then stick the included files on there and everything should be A OK.

The only issues that are left with this laptop are system profiler show diagnostics as failed on memory dimm0. this is cosmetic as i bought 2 of these laptop at the same time and both showed it. i beleive this is to do with the bios programming it shows 4 dimm slots but labelled the following way:

bank0 dimm0

bank1 dimm1

bank2 dimm1

bank3 dimm3

this is also shown in windows under everest or similar system utilities programs like cpu-z. hoping someone can shed some light on this strange issue. Another issue is occasionally the laptop will wake from sleep immediately after being put to sleep this is caused by the usb specifically the built in webcam however changing dsdt values to remove sleep capabilitys does not rectify the situation as a quick fix if it does wake immediately after sleep you have to press fn + Esc key this disables webcam and should then sleep properly. again any fixes for this would be a welcome addition. Do not use attached DSDT under the following circumstances:

A) you are not using core i3 350m // i beleive this laptop can come with core i5 and i7 also

:) you are using more than 2GB or ram i only have 1 stick of ram if you have 4GB the memory addresses in the attached DSDT will be different so be warned :P

TBH it would be advisable to just alter your own DSDT and use diffmerge or something similar to compare your original DSDT to mine and make the necessary alterations. the attached extra folder though contains all of the themes smbios plist Boot.plist and extensions and mkext to make the system plug and play. and a tasty theme it is to boot:P smbios plist is set as macbookpro 6.1 as this is the closest match.

Extra.zip

RTGMac_v2.0.5_1.zip

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Duh!

This works quite well.

I started with the dsdt and kexts from above, then maldon edited my dsdt (see his autopatcher thread page 135 or so; thanks again maldon).

I have no windows or unix to extract a "clean dsdt"- maybe somebody else can, to further improve this- anyway, mostly everything seems to work fine.

Bought this Model: Z560, i5 430M 2.26, 4G RAM, Geforce310

Installation: put in HD from macbook, updates to 10.6.7.

Geekbench 32bit: 4064

Booting from USB Stick with RC5_750

works:

reboot shutdown ok

deep sleep : manual sleep works, Menu or fn+f1

Lid sleep and wakeup works

(I have set hibernate mode to 0)

card reader works

QE/CI OK

fn Keys work: Brightness (2steps only - this worked better with dsdt from above post), sleep SHORTCUT (fn f2), sound + -, sleep screen, fix cursor...

Trackpad clicking and 2-finger scrolling

camera works

Sound: voodoo2.7.2 in system/library/extensions and AppleHDA disabler.kext in e/e

LAN works with RTGMac_v2.0.6 driver

Hdmi video out works, Dualscreen and sync (sound untested, vga out untested)

Battery: appx 2 hrs (any way to improve on this?)

Does not work:

built in wifi/bluetooth broadcom 4313: only bluetooth worked, no wifi. I put in an Atheros AR5BXB6, this works oob. Dont need bluetooth.

Automatic sleep from energysaver: does not work(after screensaver screen goes black but HD keeps spinning, seems to be dsdt related)

cheers

extra.pdf

extra.pdf

in case you are interested buying this laptop, here's a quick price run down and review:

i bought the laptop on amazon used for 400 Euros with 2GB Ram

I then bought the atheros ar5bxb6 for 12 Euros and 4Gb 1066 Ghz Ram for 37 Euros (equals 6GB in total)

Makes 450 Euros for a great Macbook Pro Replacement. Only downside is that firewire only works over an external card and the touchpad driver (voodoops2) is somehow weird. the mouse is jumping sometimes when i type... deleting text i'm typing! I'm still looking for a fix for that!

Maldon also made a DSDT for my Laptop

Geekbench 64bit gives me 4800 points! More then my q6600 quad core on standard frequency (4300 points)

Thanks chrishelms for extracting the clean dsdt.

I also tried to do this with ubuntu linux, but the dsdt.aml always ended up being empty (0kb).

Thx also to maldon again. Trying this dsdt now. Whats improved is that all sleepmodi seem to work now. The only thing still not working are the brightness keys (oh well...) Strange enough: they work with the dsdt from the first post...

What are you using for audio ? I am using Vodoo 2.7.2 in s/l/e (and the installed control panel for it).

I think thats the one thing still to optimize as I try to keep s/l/e as vanilla as possible.

Thx

i realized yesterday that the brightness keys are not working anymore...

but the real big problem is audio as you stated too:

i get kernel panics every tenth reboot or so. this has something to do with voodoo 2.7.2!

I wonder if it is possible to let audio run only by using the dsdt...

do you have an idea on how to re-implement the brightness function?

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I bought it last week.

core i3, 4GB Ram, 4727 bcm 11n, nvidia 310m.

Maldon made a dsdt. Everything works fine, except of wlan and brightness control.

How to configure brightness control in dsdt?

To get brightness keys to work try removing this from dsdt, works for me:

If (_OSI ("Darwin"))

{

Store (0x07D6, OSYS)

}

cheers next

audio works ?

Hi N One,

That worked for me, thanks.

Yes, I have working audio - voodoohda 2.7.2 from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but nothing to control in prefpane.

Does your power button work if powered up? Pushing it freezes the system instantly.

I regocnized random kernel panics during startup and rundown and it gets unresponsive for 2 to 3 sec. during normal work.

Over at my digital life forum I've found a bios with removed whitelist. It works, so I am able to switch my wifi.

Now I am waiting for an orig. Apple n one bought in China to be delivered.

cheers

hey,

now we have a good working audio with working prefpane.

It looks like the random KP's are also gone.

I followed the the guide from here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=220707

credits to RSN and cue8chalk

Here are the files I prepared for z560

Very interesting...

So you went back to VoodooHDA version 0.2.1 from 2.7.2 ?

Any specific reason for that - or does this work from V 2.7.2 as well ?

Are you booting 64bit ?

Thx

Next

Very interesting...

So you went back to VoodooHDA version 0.2.1 from 2.7.2 ?

Any specific reason for that - or does this work from V 2.7.2 as well ?

Are you booting 64bit ?

Thx

Next

No , I am booting 32bit.

VoodooHDASkipDevice hdmi audio is missing in 2.7.2

speaker and mic volumes are higher. Skype is working via internal mic.

Try it.

verleihnix

Edit: Changed it to 64bit. It works fine as well.

• 2 weeks later...
No , I am booting 32bit.

VoodooHDASkipDevice hdmi audio is missing in 2.7.2

speaker and mic volumes are higher. Skype is working via internal mic.

Try it.

verleihnix

Edit: Changed it to 64bit. It works fine as well.

thanks for your good job it work to lion too like a charm

has anyone had success to get hibernate fully working?

i disabled secure memory in the securityx tab and that made hibernate work... but after i hibernated neither usb devices nor bluetooth or the card reader work anymore...normal sleep works fine though!

• 3 weeks later...

Last problem solved thx to verleihnix voodoo tip: no more random KPs.

happy customer :EVERYTHING WORKS, incl. brightness keys, fn keys, sleep hibernate wakeup shutdown, sound, battery, camera, external screen hdmi, cardreader.

Machine is OSX only, running an intel ssd, booting from usb drive.

See the above posts to follow, I am attaching my edited final dsdt and kexts.

I consider this project finished now.

Thx everybody involved,

cheers N

(my exact model is:

Lenovo IdeaPad Z560 M37AQGE - i5-430M 2GB/320GB G310M)

z560_dsdt_kexts.zip

I'm about to buy a Lenovo Z560 with the following specs:

Processor: Core i3 380M

Memory: 4gb DDR3 1066Mhz

Geforce 310M

Here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834146985

How would I go about getting a DSDT for this particular model?

Also I'm really sorry. I'm a complete noob when it comes to DSDT's. I've had a couple hackintosh laptops and desktops before, but I've never had to mess with the DSDT, so does anyone else have this model laptop? Or could lead me in the right direction for getting this fully working?

Also, what's the best external wireless solution to get? Could I just get a USB wifi dongle for it? Would that work fine?

I exchanged my internal wireless without any hassle! Just loosen two screws and get rid of the old one... was a 10 min job

The Mini PCI card only cost me like 10 Euros or so (WLAN Atheros AR5BXB6)

You could extract the dsdt with Windows 7 (Everest Pro) and then ask Mald0n if he can patch it for you. At least thats what I did...

There is also a dsdt for i3 z560 on tonymac!

I'm about to buy a Lenovo Z560 with the following specs:

Processor: Core i3 380M

Memory: 4gb DDR3 1066Mhz

Geforce 310M

Here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834146985

How would I go about getting a DSDT for this particular model?

Also I'm really sorry. I'm a complete noob when it comes to DSDT's. I've had a couple hackintosh laptops and desktops before, but I've never had to mess with the DSDT, so does anyone else have this model laptop? Or could lead me in the right direction for getting this fully working?

Also, what's the best external wireless solution to get? Could I just get a USB wifi dongle for it? Would that work fine?

I exchanged my internal wireless without any hassle! Just loosen two screws and get rid of the old one... was a 10 min job

The Mini PCI card only cost me like 10 Euros or so (WLAN Atheros AR5BXB6)

You could extract the dsdt with Windows 7 (Everest Pro) and then ask Mald0n if he can patch it for you. At least thats what I did...

There is also a dsdt for i3 z560 on tonymac!

So, is there a list of compatible internal wireless cards? How do I know which ones will work or not? Also, with the screws, do I need a certain type of screwdriver? Or is it the size of screw where most normal screwdrivers would work?

Ah ok, cool, so do I just use the Everest Pro you mentioned? Or do I use Maldon's Auto Patcher?

Yes, I've seen the dsdt for the i3 on here, but it was an i3-430(or 450)M while mine is 480M (not sure if that makes a difference) and was for 2gb of RAM.

i guess you could try maldons auto patcher but as i remember it didnt have the info for the z560 in there back when i checked...

for wireless cards... i just followed someone elses advice and bought the atheros card. it works like a treat, no wireless n though... here is an ebay link

For my card I had to patch one file so if you decide to buy it and it doesnt work oob just ask me. for most people it works right away though!

I didn't use any special screwdrivers... I just have a standard scredriver bit set like this one

Last problem solved thx to verleihnix voodoo tip: no more random KPs.

happy customer :EVERYTHING WORKS, incl. brightness keys, fn keys, sleep hibernate wakeup shutdown, sound, battery, camera, external screen hdmi, cardreader.

Machine is OSX only, running an intel ssd, booting from usb drive.

See the above posts to follow, I am attaching my edited final dsdt and kexts.

I consider this project finished now.

Thx everybody involved,

cheers N

(my exact model is:

Lenovo IdeaPad Z560 M37AQGE - i5-430M 2GB/320GB G310M)

hi N but in your pakage isnt present the atheros kext: it means that atheros wifi works otb? and have you tested your package with SL or Lion or Both. Everyway thanks for uploading and sharing your dsdt and extra with us