Rather easy successful single-boot install on a fresh P-D homebrew

saintjude

1 post in this topic

Homebuilt hardware:

Intel Pentium D 915 Presler 800MHz FSB 2 x 2MB L2 Cache

Intel BLKD945GNTLKR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945G ATX Intel Motherboard

200 Gig SATA drive, 1 gig DDR667 RAM

Software: A burned DVD of the 'Universal install' disk image that's been floating around. This file is named "MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL/AMD/SSE3/SSE2).iso" It was a bit hard to find, finally found the torrent on a Spanish-language OS X on x86 site.

Installation: Insert the DVD and start up the machine. It will ask if you want to install; hit any key. The OS X installer will load. No hard drives were available to install on at first. Select 'Disk Utility' from the 'Utilities' menu and PARTITION the hard drive using the default (mac HFS+ extended I believe.) (I only created one partition.)

Now, you need to hit the 'Custom install' button (so you can select individual components to install.) Check the 'Intel patch' and '10.4.5 Update' items; don't include the AMD patch or it'll screw things up.

Once your installation options have been chosen, click 'install'. It took perhaps 45 minutes for the install. It then rebooted without incident.

And it was just that simple. OS X running on a ~$500 computer. Quite fast and responsive; iTunes launched in about half a 'bounce' in the dock.

BUGS:

The system cannot sleep; it won't wake up.

CPU in 'about this mac' is listed as a 4 Ghz Pentium-D (actually a 2.8.)

Audio out DOES NOT work; I haven't tried to patch it since I'm not actually interested in running this machine as a Mac (it's going to be a low-end engineering workstation.) Failing a patch, a USB or PCI audio-out solution that comes with Mac drivers would likely work.

It recognized a D-Link wireless card as an 'Airport Extreme' but is unable to actually use it. (Chipset unknown; sorry if this seems a bit vague on details but it was just an experiment to see if it would work.)

The PS/2 mouse and keyboard worked during install but not afterwards. Disabling USB in BIOS might fix that, but much easier to just get a USB kb/mouse.

On-board ethernet was recognized but we didn't test it.

Aftermath: In order for Windows to eventually be installed I had to reboot from the OS X install disk and use Disk Utility to re-format the hard drive to DOS format. (The Windows installer wouldn't recognize the Mac formatted drive.) This little adventure was quite a stark reminder of how ugly, clumsy, and generally a piece of {censored} Windows is.

There's something very eerie about being able to simply boot up a generic PC from an OSX disk (albeit hacked), install it, and get it to boot with no real difficulties. :-)