Whats a good sized partition

li21

18 posts in this topic

Hi all

I was wondering whats a good sized partition to create for OSX Os and all applications?

I know 6 gig is the recommended minimum?

Ive only got a 60 gig hdd and I want to maintain

30 gig for videos and dloads, so that leaves 30 gig for windows, osx split.

What do you think?

20gig windows xp os and apps

10 gig MacOsx and apps?

or 50/50 split ?

I've got my OSX on a 10 gig drive, and after a basic install, with iWork and MSoffice, there is about 1 gig left. ouch. you say you've got another partition for your downloads etc, which would be fine. but bear in mind that OSX can't write to an NTFS partition, so that downloads partition would have to be FAT32 if you plan on using it within Windows and OSX.

I've got my OSX on a 10 gig drive, and after a basic install, with iWork and MSoffice, there is about 1 gig left. ouch. you say you've got another partition for your downloads etc, which would be fine. but bear in mind that OSX can't write to an NTFS partition, so that downloads partition would have to be FAT32 if you plan on using it within Windows and OSX.

Damn... so how much spare hdd space would be 'safe' on the OSX partition?

Say 5 gig? for swap disk etc? Do MacOS's even use swap disk?

I guess I could convert my NTFS partition to FAT32

Hmmm. IS there any down site to running FAT32 instead of NTFS esp on WIndows?

Do MacOS's even use swap disk?

I guess I could convert my NTFS partition to FAT32

Hmmm. IS there any down site to running FAT32 instead of NTFS esp on WIndows?

OSX uses swap files in 64 MB chunks. For most people, only 1-5 of those. So, it is not a large size.

Fat32 is limited to 4 GB files and runs a little slower in Windows.

OSX uses swap files in 64 MB chunks. For most people, only 1-5 of those. So, it is not a large size.

Fat32 is limited to 4 GB files and runs a little slower in Windows.

So 10 gig should be plenty for the OS and swap file?

If FAT32 is limited to 4gb, how do you RIP a DVD etc on Mac OSx?

So 10 gig should be plenty for the OS and swap file?

If FAT32 is limited to 4gb, how do you RIP a DVD etc on Mac OSx?

I suggest you split 50/50 the remaining space.

I have a Windows on a 16GB partition and all the programs I use (but I get low disk alerts sometimes), if you don't fill MacOS X with programs you can live with 15GB for it (I wouldn't).

As for DVD rips, that's not a problem as I already said elsewhere.

DVD VOB files are limited to 1GB. The only problem would be if you try to make a DVD image (never saw someone copying a DVD video that way).

NTFS would be required by Windows if you wanted to work on huge files (videos that you edit usually).

I suggest you split 50/50 the remaining space.

I have a Windows on a 16GB partition and all the programs I use (but I get low disk alerts sometimes), if you don't fill MacOS X with programs you can live with 15GB for it (I wouldn't).

As for DVD rips, that's not a problem as I already said elsewhere.

DVD VOB files are limited to 1GB. The only problem would be if you try to make a DVD image (never saw someone copying a DVD video that way).

NTFS would be required by Windows if you wanted to work on huge files (videos that you edit usually).

Hmm, how does Mac handle video editiong? Dont alot of people capture video to mac? If it uses NTFS how does it handle large files?

Eg i capture video to PC at almost 1 gig / 20 mins. SO oi oculdnt capture more tahn 80 mins on FAT32?

Okay... Different story now..

Ive decided to buy a Macbook with 80gb HDD.

I want to be able to Dual Boot WIndows or perhaps run through VMWare.

If VMWare, will Windows run installe from the Mac's FAT32 partition or does it still need its own partion?

Would this be ideal:

20gb Mac OS and Apps

20gb WIndows OS and Apps

40gb For storage but in FAT32, hence both OSs can read and write to it. Would this work?

Hmm, how does Mac handle video editiong? Dont alot of people capture video to mac? If it uses NTFS how does it handle large files?

Eg i capture video to PC at almost 1 gig / 20 mins. SO oi oculdnt capture more tahn 80 mins on FAT32?

TONS of people do video editing on the Mac. Most professional video/image/audio editing studios use Macs. OS X can read NTFS, but not write it. So I'm booted up in OS X (on the standard HFS+ partition) right now, and I can see everything on my NTFS Windows partition, but I can't alter it or add to it. Windows in stock form cannot see the OS X partition at all, but you can buy software that lets you read and write the OS X partition.

You can install either OS on a FAT32 partition and read and write to it from either OS, but it's a bit slower and wouldn't be ideal for video capture as it's not able to handle >4GB files, as others have said.

Thanks for imput everyone.

You see the reason I want to have 3 partitions is for file storage.

See.... if anything goes wrong on partition for OSX or Partition for WIndow, I can simply format and start again on them.

If all my user files and downloads, videos, photos etc are on a separate partition from the OS's I wont have to back up everything before formatting and reinstallting an OS.

But I hear that you cannot have a 3rd partition, well using Boot Camp anyone?

TONS of people do video editing on the Mac. Most professional video/image/audio editing studios use Macs. OS X can read NTFS, but not right it. So I'm booted up in OS X (on the standard HFS+ partition) right now, and I can see everything on my NTFS Windows partition, but I can't alter it or add to it. Windows in stock form cannot see the OS X partition at all, but you can buy software that lets you read and write the OS X partition.

You can install either OS on a FAT32 partition and read and write to it from either OS, but it's a bit slower and wouldn't be ideal for video capture as it's not able to handle >4GB files, as others have said.

I still dont get how Mac users can do serious video capture?

I used to do some video capture, I would capture to single avi in excess of 4gigs. Maybe up to 2 hours in one raw AVI file.

I used to do some video capture, I would capture to single avi in excess of 4gigs. Maybe up to 2 hours in one raw AVI file.

The old HFS was limited to files of 2GB.

The HFS+ has not this limit, and like NTFS it's very logical to do video editing with it.

I think the limit is 16TB. So you see no problems, but if you want to share between two OS, XP should have MacDrive to be able to read/write to the HFS+ partition and continue to use NTFS for video editing.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for imput everyone.

You see the reason I want to have 3 partitions is for file storage.

See.... if anything goes wrong on partition for OSX or Partition for WIndow, I can simply format and start again on them.

If all my user files and downloads, videos, photos etc are on a separate partition from the OS's I wont have to back up everything before formatting and reinstallting an OS.

But I hear that you cannot have a 3rd partition, well using Boot Camp anyone?

I have five partitions:

1. Windows XP (NTFS)

2. Video capture storage space (NTFS)

3. OS X (HFS+)

4. Linux root (ext2or3)

5. Linux swap (swap)

I did it all from within the OS X, Windows, and Linux installers

I do video on the Mac all the time. I have a Mac mini with an 80GB drive and I am always out of space. I tried doing it with a 40 GB and there is just no way.

I added a 160GB drive and formatted it for Mac because of the file size limits for Fat32. If you are serious about video editing on your mac or OS X86 machine you better get a large drive to dump your raw video. There is just no way around it...

For me, I split my 80GB (laptop) as 30GB windows, 25GB OSX, 25GB SuSE 10.

However, after downloading Microsoft Office 2004, iLife (with Garageband, iWeb, etc), XCode, Eclipse, Adobe Creative Suite 2, Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 and a few other apps, I am out of space.

If you plan to make the switch (mostly OS X, few Windows sessions) I would re-partition everything, and put OS X as a HUGE priority on space. If you just plan to use OS X every so often, 25GB is fine.