A Weird Question

IonT

15 posts in this topic

I had installed SowOSX 10.6.2 On my hackintosh, a few days later my old NVidia 8400GS got burnt. A friend of mine said that this happened because snow leopard isn't fit for PCs and can damage PC Hardware, can anyone here confirm this information? The most suprising part was when my Graphics card got burnt i was on windows (it just hanged and i had to restart just to find my graphics card burnt). I've got a new 9500GT and i still love snow leopard, would it be safe to install it. here are my system specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8 GHz

Motherboard: Intel DG31PR (G31 Chipset)

RAM: 2x2 GB DDR2 800MHz RAM

Hard Drive: 500GB (SATA, Work Hard Disk) + 250GB (SATA, Windows Hard Disk) + 40GB (IDE, Mac Hard Disk)

Optical Drive: Sony AD-7240S DVD-DL R/W Drive

Power Supply: 450Watt

Audio: Realtek ALC888

LAN: Realtek 8168 Family (Works by deafault on all OSX above 10.4.8)

P.S How do I post outside the new users lounge?

actually, alessandro.. it's something more like this... Cats will bark and dogs will meow, and Anna Nicole Smith married for LOVE...

anyways, kidding aside:

Your 8400GS probably was old that's why it burnt and wont work anymore, or you dont have adequate air flow in your system and you keep upgrading your HW but not the cooling system. I'm using a 9800GTX+ on 1 of my rigs, a GTX460 on the other, and a 7200gs (old) on this one, but i have at least 2 case fans each rig (120mm per) to have adequate cooling power.

looking at your system, you have 3 HDD in a mid-tower system... kinda crowded, isn't it?

@dothacker

I notice that its crowded all the time. I have a total of 5 fans on my cabinet + the fan on my processor, i had to make 100s of holes on one side of my cabinet to fit 4 fans, theres another one on the back of my cabinet as well. how much more cooling would i need.

@Alessandro17

u sound mad, did I say anythng wrng?

Install it with no fear. The problem was not because of the OS. Everything is because of power, dust, heat and excessive use but certainly not from the OS. The only problem you may have from the OS is if the card is not recognized and get poor resolution or no Quartz Extreme.

Cheers,

Alexander.

@Alessandro17

Actually I was plain sleepy whn i wrote that, got it nw.

@dothacker

Yeah its enclosed like any other pc i've seen. nd i don't hv enuf spce on my table to run just on guts.

@agalex

just to be safe, is using the 32bit legacy kernel better than using the default 64bit kernel?

just to be safe, is using the 32bit legacy kernel better than using the default 64bit kernel?

Use whatever works for you. It's not about what's "safe".

I agree with everything in this thread, even Anna Nicole Smith and green babies. I'm sure your friend meant well but he's wrong.

With all that hardware you should probably get a stronger Power Supply. Think of it this way; if the CPU and RAM is the brain, the PSU is the heart, lungs, kidney and liver.

Blow the dust out of your case and fans - you can use a vacuum cleaner set to blow, but make sure you don't touch the case or any components when using the vacuum cleaner, use it from a distance - static electricity can kill RAM and other sensitive circuits.

Alternatively, use a can of compressed air. Though you might feel a bit stupid buying air in a can. But that will pass.

Read PSU reviews from the best there is:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/page/power (go Brazil!!)

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

Google PSU Calculator - you'll see why once you find one.

Try to go for a little more wattage and amperage that you actually need, your PSU and components will survive longer with a little headroom.

Blow the dust out of your case and fans - you can use a vacuum cleaner set to blow, but make sure you don't touch the case or any components when using the vacuum cleaner, use it from a distance - static electricity can kill RAM and other sensitive circuits.

Alternatively, use a can of compressed air. Though you might feel a bit stupid buying air in a can. But that will pass.

Danger, Will Robinson

Stick a pencil or something non conductive in fan blades while blowing out dust. It might be fun to see the blades whirl about but this causes them to act as generators and can damage motherboard components.

A friend of mine said that this happened because snow leopard isn't fit for PCs and can damage PC Hardware, can anyone here confirm this information?

Setting up a Hackintosh can be like building a race car from generic parts. Your system can be damaged by snow leopard if you don't get the setup correct. Just like putting a 600hp engine in your car with a stock trannie can damage your car.

For example, running a laptop without proper power management could easily damage the system due to increased heat.

Done properly, Hackintoshs can be very robust systems. I've been running my Dell xps 435mt for about a year without any hardware problems.

Hearing everythng here, I finally installed snowosx 10.6.2 on my hackintosh and when i use the 32bit kernel i get less warnings on DSDT patcher (5 to be exact), but DSDT Patch on the 64bit kernel gives 19 warnings. I dnt knw mch abt DSDT othr than increase in prfrmnce, but wht else does it do?