Problems Upgrading RAM

Vasto

7 posts in this topic

I recently decided to make the plunge for 12GB of DDR3 Ram. So I removed my 6GB of RAM, and placed in 2 sets of 3x2GB Ram. Turns out two of the sticks were dead, so I memtest86+ the other 4 for 12 hours with no errors. I then tried to boot into OSX and it didn't work. So I went down to only 3 sticks. It still didn't work. I put my old ram in and everything booted up right away.

What are the steps I should follow before trying to put new ram in?

Enable ACPI 2.0, ACPI APIC and all advanced CPU features (except CPUID Limit) in your BIOS.

Then extract your DSDT on Windows with all your RAM installed. You can use Everest Corporate/Ultimate edition.

Or you can use a Linux live CD, Linux Mint works well. There are some scripts floating around that can extract all your ACPI tables in Linux. You can then email them to yourself via webmail from the live CD, or save them to a FAT16/32 formatted flash drive.

Compare the new DSDT with your present DSDT, search for all instances of SystemMemory and replace with the addresses from your new DSDT. Then see if it will boot.

It's probably better to add all your existing patches to the fresh DSDT instead of patching the old one. Your call.

I don't remember if you need to do anything to your kextcache, I don't think so. I upgraded from 2 to 4GB RAM a while back and AFAIR I only had to fix the DSDT.

Let me know if it works.

Steps I took:

1. I moved my DSDT to my desktop

2. Shut down my computer

3. Replaced the memory

4. Put in the new memory

5. Turned on my computer

6. Tried booting into OSX to generate a new DSDT, but it just stalled.

7. Forced a restart

Now PC-EFI 1.6 won't even load. It starts rotating the / character, but then it just freezes. I can't even get into windows now.

I misinterpreted your directions. I always thought that DSDT files were something used to trick OSX into loading and not used by anything else. Therefore I thought that I had boot into OSX to generate a new one and that Everest could somehow read HFS. I understand your directions now (of course too late). I'll try your new directions.

Thank you for your patience. I tried to follow your directions but ignorance got in my way.

If anyone runs into this thread in the future, here is a good link about DSDT: http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php