App Store Remover & Restorer v1.0 rev. 2

rednous

24 posts in this topic

App Store Remover & Restorer v1.0 Revision 2 Kit

This kit contains an installer to remove the App Store and it's support files. This kit also contains an App Store restoration installer to put things back. The restorer is fully contained just in case the files are needed for anyone else experiementing or doing the removals manually.

If you want to remove the App Store (Version 1.0 only) and it's support files:

1. Use the App Store Remover.pkg remove the App Store

2. Reboot

If you choose to restore the App Store:

1. Run the App Store v1.0 Restorer.pkg to restore it back

2. Reboot

Revision 2 changes:

• New instructions and installers were made to try and avoid any potential problems.

App Store Remover.pkg:

• Combined the previous AppleScript and the missing files installer into one as suggested
  • Installer checks for 10.6.6 as the OS being used
  • Installer checks to make sure the App Store.app is in the /Applications folder
  • Installer checks to make the CommerceKit.framework is in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework
  • Installer will only allow an install onto the volume you started on and no other volumes are selectable

App Store v1.0 Restorer.pkg:

• Installer checks that 10.6.6 is installed on the volume
  • Installer checks to make sure the App Store.app is not installed in the /Applications folder
  • Installer checks to make sure the CommerceKit.framework is not installed in the /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks folder
  • Installer is allowed to select different volumes in case a restore needs to be done from another volume

Credits to TOBW

Please don't ask me for support, I just found this, worked out successfully on my 10.6.6 and decided to share it here.

AppStoreRemoverRestorer-v1.0r2.zip, 12MB

This kit contains an installer to remove the App Store and it's support files. This kit also contains an App Store restoration installer to put things back. The restorer is fully contained just in case the files are needed for anyone else experiementing or doing the removals manually.

2. Reboot

2. Reboot

Revision 2 changes:

• New instructions and installers were made to try and avoid any potential problems.

App Store Remover.pkg:

• Combined the previous AppleScript and the missing files installer into one as suggested
  • Installer checks to make sure the App Store.app is in the /Applications folder
  • Installer checks to make the CommerceKit.framework is in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework
  • Installer will only allow an install onto the volume you started on and no other volumes are selectable

• Installer checks to make sure the App Store.app is not installed in the /Applications folder
  • Installer checks to make sure the CommerceKit.framework is not installed in the /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks folder
  • Installer is allowed to select different volumes in case a restore needs to be done from another volume

Credits to TOBW

Please don't ask me for support, I just found this, worked out successfully on my 10.6.6 and decided to share it here.

Thanks! Love it!

@dutchhockeypro,

never thought you 'd be asking such a hilarious question :P

Big brother is now employed by apple.

That made think: MC was also there (he used to say).

if(Big brother == MC) return NULL;

:D

Hi rednous. Thanks for sharing this, but is there a specific reason for removing the files – other than the space it is taking?

Hi :P I'm afraid i can't understand your question... Removing of which files? The link is alive. I used an external file sharing for the file cause its bigger than my permitted quota here :D

@dutchhockeypro,

never thought you 'd be asking such a hilarious question :angel:

Big brother is now employed by apple.

That made think: MC was also there (he used to say).

if(Big brother == MC) return NULL;

:D

It was meant to be a serious question. To see if people here knew something that others might have missed. And answering in questions marks won't help them to understand why they should/want to remove the App Store from their dock/hack. Not just the good old conspiracy theory that keeps popping up everywhere on the Internet. I mean if there is hard evidence of privacy invasion or security related things people should know about... then why not show them what is wrong?

p.s. Apple already knows everything they need to know, but they simply don't care about hackintosh folks.

Hi ;) I'm afraid i can't understand your question... Removing of which files? The link is alive. I used an external file sharing for the file cause its bigger than my permitted quota here :)

See my reply to valv.

It was meant to be a serious question. To see if people here knew something that others might have missed. And answering in questions marks won't help them to understand why they should/want to remove the App Store from their dock/hack. Not just the good old conspiracy theory that keeps popping up everywhere on the Internet. I mean if there is hard evidence of privacy invasion or security related things people should know about... then why not show them what is wrong?

p.s. Apple already knows everything they need to know, but they simply don't care about hackintosh folks.

So many times, I sent crash reports to Apple (; I think we're ok.

BTW, lets pray for and/or send best wishes to Steve.

• 2 months later...

2. Reboot

2. Reboot

Revision 2 changes:

App Store Remover.pkg:

Credits to TOBW

Works on 10.6.7?

No idea if works at 100%...

I make the "App Store" binary file unexecutable..

sudo -s 

chmod -x /Applications/App\ Store.app/Contents/MacOS/App\ Store

chmod -x /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/CommerceKit

The Icon and the rest still present, but now not run... :)

Can be a useful? (I really don't know)

Fabio

No, removing CrApp Store on 10.6.7 cause a lot of trouble because it's deep in the system.

The only way to avoid it to scan ALL your HD to find out present and past app you installed for sure is to stick with 10.6.5

For now I've see no evidence that if it is left unstarted it scans something. So If you want to upgrade use iFabio's trick to avoid it to start.

No idea if works at 100%...

I make the "App Store" binary file unexecutable..

sudo -s 

chmod -x /Applications/App\ Store.app/Contents/MacOS/App\ Store

chmod -x /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/CommerceKit

The Icon and the rest still present, but now not run... :rolleyes:

Can be a useful? (I really don't know)

Fabio

Yes But it doesn't remove the menubar shortcut

All I did was remove the App Store by dragging it to the trash. As soon as I emptied the trash, the "App Store" option changed back to "Mac OS X Software" under the Apple Menu.

10.6.7, no problems as of yet.

So, why would people need this app if it's that simple?

(I have no apps from the store, IMO, the App Store is a complete pile of sh*t that belongs on a mobile device, not on a Desktop, and even then it's still a pile of sh*t. Cydia FTW)

What happened to the days of the PowerMacs and G3/4/5's? Come on apple, GET IT TOGETHER! I really hate the direction your headed.

My 2 cents.

All I did was remove the App Store by dragging it to the trash. As soon as I emptied the trash, the "App Store" option changed back to "Mac OS X Software" under the Apple Menu.

(I have no apps from the store, IMO, the App Store is a complete pile of sh*t that belongs on a mobile device, not on a Desktop, and even then it's still a pile of sh*t. Cydia FTW)

What happened to the days of the PowerMacs and G3/4/5's? Come on apple, GET IT TOGETHER! I really hate the direction your headed.

My 2 cents.

Do you run "Little Snitch" ?

And try searching with "EasyFind" for App Store"

You can buy my G4 400 AGP if you like

My 2 cents.

There has always been one and only direction for Apple as well as the rest of the corporate thugs, and that is the pursuit of profits at all costs. It has always been so, it is so now, and as long as there are corporations, it shall ever be so. It is just the way it is and so it must be recognized and accepted as such.

There has always been one and only direction for Apple as well as the rest of the corporate thugs, and that is the pursuit of profits at all costs. It has always been so, it is so now, and as long as there are corporations, it shall ever be so. It is just the way it is and so it must be recognized and accepted as such.

Thanks worked like a charm!