Newbie: Installing from Generic INstall DVD without a DVD drive?

li21

3 posts in this topic

Hi all

Im a newvie to all this OsX on Pc biz, I'm basically trying to install Tiger on my Sony VAIO v505 laptop.

Trick is ... I dont have a DVD drive on it. Its broken and to get it replaced will require too much money and time. The BIOS on my laptop does not support booting off any USB devices either so an external DVD drive wont do any good.

Anyhow.. I was wondering is there a way to install from the Generic Install DVD without having a DVD drive to boot from? Are there any special virtual boot apps that could do th trick and allow me to boot from a hard drive copy ?

I dont think I fully understnad how to install from deadmoo..seems too complex

Also are there any solutions to using the FN key to change volue and monitor birhgtness within OsX yet?

thanks

Perhaps you can get a Firewire PC Card and then use an external drive from there?

Macs can handle booting that way, but I'm not sure if PC BIOS advanced enough to cope with that.

You could remove your laptop drive and try doing the install in a desktop. You'll need an adaptor to connect the drive, something like this should work:

http://www.cpustuff.com/estore/25-inch-to-...PIDEC-p-33.html

It'd seem like if your laptop is new enough to have a usable CPU, it would have at least have had a DVD drive available for it. Perhaps you could replace the drive.

Perhaps you can get a Firewire PC Card and then use an external drive from there?

Macs can handle booting that way, but I'm not sure if PC BIOS advanced enough to cope with that.

You could remove your laptop drive and try doing the install in a desktop. You'll need an adaptor to connect the drive, something like this should work:

http://www.cpustuff.com/estore/25-inch-to-...PIDEC-p-33.html

It'd seem like if your laptop is new enough to have a usable CPU, it would have at least have had a DVD drive available for it. Perhaps you could replace the drive.

Ive actually thought about that.. Putting the laptop hdd in a desktop and installing that way.

Ive tried that method installing Windows but does seem to like it when I boot up Windows back in the Laptop, probably because of differences in hardware.

Think installing OSX Tiger will suffer from the same problem?