ATI X1900 ALL-IN-WONDER

StingerAlex

8 posts in this topic

Hello!

I am very sorry to disturb MAC gurus but I already spent a week to make this card work on ASUS P5K WiFi and with reading the inet I am getting more confused then I was at the start of this mission.

I finally installed iPC Voodoo 9.5 MAC OS X on Vostro 200 TM and my own ASUS. In both cases video works only in default mode - video card is not recognized and all I have is 1024x768 resolution which is nothing for MAC applications.To know that I end up with such a miserable video I would never start this jorney because it is not worth it.

So I have read everything about GFXUTIL, EFI strings, kext and etc., poke around with all this, and did not get any closer to resolution.

On ASUS P5K I have ATI ALL-IN-WONDER x1900 video card. When installing OS X I check ATI X1900 driver for installation, 10.5.6 does not come up with the display at all. It is blank. If I disregard ATI drivers it comes up with default VGA.

Anybody knows what to do?

Thanks a lot and apologize!

Alex.

Hello!

I am very sorry to disturb MAC gurus but I already spent a week to make this card work on ASUS P5K WiFi and with reading the inet I am getting more confused then I was at the start of this mission.

I finally installed iPC Voodoo 9.5 MAC OS X on Vostro 200 TM and my own ASUS. In both cases video works only in default mode - video card is not recognized and all I have is 1024x768 resolution which is nothing for MAC applications.To know that I end up with such a miserable video I would never start this jorney because it is not worth it.

So I have read everything about GFXUTIL, EFI strings, kext and etc., poke around with all this, and did not get any closer to resolution.

On ASUS P5K I have ATI ALL-IN-WONDER x1900 video card. When installing OS X I check ATI X1900 driver for installation, 10.5.6 does not come up with the display at all. It is blank. If I disregard ATI drivers it comes up with default VGA.

Anybody knows what to do?

Thanks a lot and apologize!

Alex.

Alex, unless specific "all in wonder" drivers for your card were made by ATI or a rebrander for Mac OSX I would imagine that it would be impossible to get all the functions of the card working. That having been said, you may be able to get some functionality out of it. You need to know what the device ID of your card is.

Then I would look at the Info.plist file associated with ATIRadeonX1000.kext package to make sure your card's device ID is included within that file.

Remember that in the ATI world an X1900 does not = a 1900.

Also remember that a mobility chipset number does not = it's desktop counterpart.

Alex, unless specific "all in wonder" drivers for your card were made by ATI or a rebrander for Mac OSX I would imagine that it would be impossible to get all the functions of the card working. That having been said, you may be able to get some functionality out of it. You need to know what the device ID of your card is.

Then I would look at the Info.plist file associated with ATIRadeonX1000.kext package to make sure your card's device ID is included within that file.

Remember that in the ATI world an X1900 does not = a 1900.

Also remember that a mobility chipset number does not = it's desktop counterpart.

Thanks a lot!

I am not even dreaming about all functionality. My goal is very simple - to make the system recognize this card and allow to change resolution on it. That's it.

So how should I find Device ID? DFXUTIL show me some addresses, but I can not find an ID.

If I fail which card will be working? Say Geforce 9500 GT - OK? Or I will need to build EFI strings and go over all painful process?

Thanks.

P.S. If we have to build gfx for every device by ourselves, it is good to now is it possible to find a clear document written for beginners about how to do it. Because numerous documents on inet are not quite clear and even contradict to each other.

I found an ID through the Windows. It is 7249. And Vendor ID is 1002.

Thanks a lot!

I am not even dreaming about all functionality. My goal is very simple - to make the system recognize this card and allow to change resolution on it. That's it.

So how should I find Device ID? DFXUTIL show me some addresses, but I can not find an ID.

If I fail which card will be working? Say Geforce 9500 GT - OK? Or I will need to build EFI strings and go over all painful process?

Thanks.

P.S. If we have to build gfx for every device by ourselves, it is good to now is it possible to find a clear document written for beginners about how to do it. Because numerous documents on inet are not quite clear and even contradict to each other.

I found an ID through the Windows. It is 7249. And Vendor ID is 1002.

Great...now that you have the device and vendor ID use the terminal editor. Go into terminal and type

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/Info.plist

It should ask you for your system password. Enter it and it will pull up a text editor.

Look for the portion of the file that says

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x71871002 0x72101002 0x71DE1002 ....

See if somewhere on that line 0x72491002 appears. If not, add it to that line.

CTRL-X to save, use kext utilty to rebuild, reboot and see what happens.

Three things may happen

(1) Nothing

(2) A fully functional graphics card (or a partially functional one)

(3) A kernal panic that renders your system inoperable requiring serious kernal level debugging or a reinstall

(4) A blue/black screen where you can't see anything.

If #3 happens reboot with -x GraphicsEnabler=n flags edit that file again and take out what you put in. Then kext utility again and restart.

Keep in mind when you're messing around with a system like this you can really mess it up so be quite cautious and make sure you save anything remotely important.

Great...now that you have the device and vendor ID use the terminal editor. Go into terminal and type

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/Info.plist

It should ask you for your system password. Enter it and it will pull up a text editor.

Look for the portion of the file that says

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x71871002 0x72101002 0x71DE1002 ....

See if somewhere on that line 0x72491002 appears. If not, add it to that line.

CTRL-X to save, use kext utilty to rebuild, reboot and see what happens.

Three things may happen

(1) Nothing

(2) A fully functional graphics card (or a partially functional one)

(3) A kernal panic that renders your system inoperable requiring serious kernal level debugging or a reinstall

(4) A blue/black screen where you can't see anything.

If #3 happens reboot with -x GraphicsEnabler=n flags edit that file again and take out what you put in. Then kext utility again and restart.

Keep in mind when you're messing around with a system like this you can really mess it up so be quite cautious and make sure you save anything remotely important.

Thanks a lot!

I checked the ATIRadeon1000.kext in Extensions folder. Info.plist has this string 72491002.

What Extensions does not have comparing to ATI extracted out if installation disk is ATIinject.kext

May I try copying it to Extensions folder?

Actually file ATIinject.kext kills video and kills the whole setup in a way Leopard is working.

Because when you try to remove this file from Extensions folder booting to a single user mode it simply does not allow do that saying that ATIinject is a read-only file system. And neither advice from inet does work, rality is different.

So I simply restored backup.

I think damage is coming from ATIinject.kext wich is getting copied over Extensions folder at installation time if you check to install ATI video driver. Display get blank black and there is no way out of it.

At the same time ATIRadeon1000.kext does not seem to affect system at all.

Is there anything else we can do about it, or it is time to replace the card?

Actually file ATIinject.kext kills video and kills the whole setup in a way Leopard is working.

Because when you try to remove this file from Extensions folder booting to a single user mode it simply does not allow do that saying that ATIinject is a read-only file system. And neither advice from inet does work, rality is different.

So I simply restored backup.

I think damage is coming from ATIinject.kext wich is getting copied over Extensions folder at installation time if you check to install ATI video driver. Display get blank black and there is no way out of it.

At the same time ATIRadeon1000.kext does not seem to affect system at all.

Is there anything else we can do about it, or it is time to replace the card?

When you say the display got black is it black as if the monitor was off or was the monitor backlight on with nothing being displayed?

What physical outputs does your card have? (for instance, my Radeon 4850 has two DVI outputs, and to get proper output I have to plug the monitor into the DVI port closest to the motherboard and add a DVI->VGA adapter with nothing attached onto the end of it onto the other port).

What does your system profiler say about the card?

It may be time just to get another card, but part of the beauty of this is banging your head on the wall until the wall gives way.

Also, when you booted to the black screen, did you try a reboot in safe mode? If so, what happened?

When you say the display got black is it black as if the monitor was off or was the monitor backlight on with nothing being displayed?

What physical outputs does your card have? (for instance, my Radeon 4850 has two DVI outputs, and to get proper output I have to plug the monitor into the DVI port closest to the motherboard and add a DVI->VGA adapter with nothing attached onto the end of it onto the other port).

What does your system profiler say about the card?

It may be time just to get another card, but part of the beauty of this is banging your head on the wall until the wall gives way.

Also, when you booted to the black screen, did you try a reboot in safe mode? If so, what happened?

Monitor is electrically on, but screen is dead. I believe when ATIinject gets loaded at boot time it sparks one blink of a back-light and then goes dead.

Unfortunately this card has only DVI output. I think this is a problem.

System profiler says nothing because card is not even recognized.

About another card - what Geforce is guaranteed to be installed properly? 9500 Gt is OK? Or 8800?

Because again - like in Linux community there is no consent between people and info is very confusing. I found a driver for 9500 GT, but I am not sure if it is going to work. I like to take a risks in my computer life, but risk at least has to have ground of opinions.