GMA -> TV?

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm considering replacing my current htpc which is athlon xp based (no SSE2 so cant run osx86) with an intel 915 or 945 mobo with GMA900 or 950, so i can run a Front Row based home theatre thingy.

Does anyone know if a GMA mobo with ADD2 card will output a signal suitable for conversion to composite or s-video? If it cant connect to the TV at all, its not worth doing.

i'm a little fuzzy, but i seem to recall there being different types of DVI - some which have an integrated composite signal and some which are pure digital... is this right? has ANYONE tried this?

bofors - you have an ADD2 setup... can you pretty please try hooking it to a tv? ;)

Hi,

I'm considering replacing my current htpc which is athlon xp based (no SSE2 so cant run osx86) with an intel 915 or 945 mobo with GMA900 or 950, so i can run a Front Row based home theatre thingy.

Does anyone know if a GMA mobo with ADD2 card will output a signal suitable for conversion to composite or s-video? If it cant connect to the TV at all, its not worth doing.

i'm a little fuzzy, but i seem to recall there being different types of DVI - some which have an integrated composite signal and some which are pure digital... is this right? has ANYONE tried this?

bofors - you have an ADD2 setup... can you pretty please try hooking it to a tv? :)

Will ADD2 cards like this

http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/products...ADD2%20Card.htm

Specifically model PV-CH7021 Work? Or do the require special drivers.

Does anyone know if a GMA mobo with ADD2 card will output a signal suitable for conversion to composite or s-video?

According to Intel this is part of the plan for ADD2: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/inte...b/cs-013296.htm

But I do not think anyone has built those types of ADD2 cards (yet), or at least I have not seen anything than the DVI-D (pure digital) versions which are not suitable for the conversion to analog that you want.

However, you should be able to connect to your TV with a convertor for the motherboard's VGA port with no problem.

s'ok i sourced one off ebay - an ECS 915-based board with GMA900, PCI-E and DDR400, bundled with a Celeron D. the sound and lan on the board are compatible out of the box, so its perfect for my project :)

will keep you guys posted about this project when the parts arrive.

here's the thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=24819

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the ADD-7021-DVI-T from pro-link since it has s-video output and it arrived today. I plugged it in to my Pentium D box using the i945G chipset (onboard GMA950) and it works fine in Windows XP but I can't get osx86 to output any display to it.

I see this in the /var/log/system.log:

Aug 29 17:21:21 localhost kernel[0]: display: Not usable

I was thinking it wasn't detecting the add2 card but the above statement in the system log says that it might be...

Anyway, I checked the vendor & device id in XP and it shows:

for the onboard gma950:

ven: 8086

dev: 2772

for the add2 card:

ven: 8086

dev: 2776

I checked the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext/Info.plist:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x00008086&0x0000ffff</string>

AppleIntelGMA950.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

<string>AppleIntelGMA950VADriver</string>

<key>IOGLBundleName</key>

<string>AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IOAccelerator</string>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x03000000&0xff000000</string>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x00008086&0x0000ffff</string>

Thus, 0x00008086&0x0000ffff should be able to detect both the 2772 and 2776 devices.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.