Graphics questions from a rapidly evolving newb!

ImEatingSeeds

4 posts in this topic

Greetings good people! I've spent 10 hours a day, 4 days a week, for the last 2 weeks, reading up anything and everything there is to consider when laying the basic the foundations of knowledge for pulling off a fully functioning installation of 10.6.5.

First and foremost, thanks to EVERYONE in this community, whether on these forums, or on others -- as I notice that this is something of a Hackintosh family, whereby everyone on their own respective sites/forums still credits, acknowledges, and cooperates with all the other devs/gurus in the community.

Now lets cut to the chase -- after a total of 30 documented unsuccessful installations, and a crash-course in understanding the practical applications/implications of DSDT's vs EFI's vs KEXT's -- I can now proudly say that I am running 10.6.5 on my Dell Vostro 1510 laptop with working sound/wireless/graphics/input.

I'm still working on getting sleep enabled, as well as making sure that system manages to reboot and shutdown gracefully and with no issues each and every time.

I've got a few newb questions to start this thread off with.

First and foremost, I have not applied any custom EFI strings/bootflags/kexts in order to get my graphics hardware working -- I have the 960/965 x3100 chipset on this board. I would like to know if there is a solid/decisive/conclusive method by which I can check to make sure that Quartz Extreme/Open GL acceleration is enabled and performing properly. I read somewhere that if you can see the full list of all 3d screen savers in your screen saver preferences, and if you can preview them all -- then that means Quartz is up and running correctly. I am, however, not satisfied with this...as I am sure there has to be some more technical way of checking for Quartz, and checking its performance specifically.

Secondly, can somebody please explain in a short and simple manner what the GraphicsEnabled bootflag is for? I've been using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] GraphicsEnabled to boot my system to OS X. I will eventually install Grub as the bootloader, so I'd like to understand the relationship between what this command string means, what it means to edit my boot.plist to add that string to it (if I need to at all), and how that might factor in to GRUB being my boot loader.

***ALSO -- How would I check to see if my system even needs to be using the TSC SYNC patch for my core 2 duo processor? That is to say, how would I check to know that there's no issue and that both cores are working properly?

If you guys could start me off with these, I'd be very very thankful. Cheers!

You can use (for example) IORegistryExplorer, Activity Monitor and the Processor.prefpane that comes with Apple Developer Tools (it's buried somewhere in /Developer) to check if both cores are running.

I've never had to use TSCSync, I know it's supposed to fix a BIOS issue where only one CPU core is working in OS X... TSCSync release thread @ voodooprojects: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,794.0.html

It's GraphicsEnabler, not GraphicsEnabled.

GraphicsEnabler=y "injects" data into the ioregistry that is required by OS X to properly work with a BIOS-based PC video card. Kind of the same thing as this: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=370

Keep in mind that GraphicsEnabler is not a driver. You still need working OS X drivers for your video card.

If your menu bar is transparent, if you can zoom the whole display by holding ctrl and rolling the mousewheel, if you see a water ripple effect when adding a dashboard widget, then you have QE/CI.

You can use OpenGL Extensions Viewer, Cinebench, OpenMark, GeekBench and Xbench to check video performance. I don't know what the scores should look like on Intel x3100 graphics though.

/Edit - here's something: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=174963

It's GraphicsEnabler, not GraphicsEnabled.

GraphicsEnabler=y "injects" data into the ioregistry that is required by OS X to properly work with a BIOS-based PC video card. It's not a driver. You still need working OS X drivers for your video card.

If your menu bar is transparent, if you can zoom the whole display by holding ctrl and rolling the mousewheel, if you see a water ripple effect when adding a dashboard widget, then you have QE/CI.

You can use OpenGL Extensions Viewer, Cinebench, OpenMark, GeekBench and Xbench to check video performance. I don't know what the scores should look like on Intel x3100 graphics though.

Schweet! Thanks for all the awesome info -- one question, however. I am able to do the zoom, I can see the ripple effect, and the bar is transparent. Based on these facts, do I STILL need to inject that value into the ioregistry if all of the above are working correctly?

Thank you for your patience and your knowledge!

No, if you're sure that hardware acceleration is working then there's no need to set GraphicsEnabler=y.

I am not familiar with Intel GMA graphics on a Hackintosh, I actually don't know if you need to do any "injection" as we do with ATI and nvidia cards. If this is required, then I guess there must be an injector.kext installed and loaded on your system already.

What does System Profiler say under "ROM revision" in the Graphics Section? This sometimes shows the name of the injector used. Again, I'm not familiar with Intel GMA graphics so perhaps "ROM revision" does not show there at all.

You can see all the loaded kernel extensions from System Profiler as well, look under 'Software'. Look for extensions that are not built by Apple. You can also pull this info with the command 'kextstat' in Terminal, there is a clever way to get it to display only non-Apple kernel extensions using the grep command but you'll have to forum search that.