install dvd will not boot. ideas?

Darnei Tiger

4 posts in this topic

hello all. I am a long time osx86 veteran, but this is the first laptop have tried to install on. i have an hp g60-249wm, i am trying to install either 10.6 or 10.5, i dont care which but neither one will load the install...

At the moment i have ideneb 10.5.7 and a 10.6 dvd, its a distro disc not a retail disc. anyway, they both halt at a specific point, right after darwin tries to load the os for install.

it goes through a few loading HFS+ file prompts, and stops at:

"Loading HFS+ file: [/system/Library/Extensions.mkext] from 4230a80."

and then it completely freezes and no more hdd or dvd activity. i have tried booting with cpus=1 flag, and the -x safe mode flag, both times with the -v verbose flag.

edit: i have tried kalyway 10.5.2 with some success, if i tried -x -v, i got it to go through a lot of text, but it eventually made the laptop reboot.

has anyone had experience with this issue?

specs:

Microprocessor 2.10 GHz AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 Dual-Core Processor

Microprocessor Cache 1MB L2 Cache

Memory 3072MB

Memory Max 4096MB

Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8200M (nForce chipset from what i can gather)

Video Memory Up to 1407MB

Hard Drive 320GB (5400RPM)

Multimedia Drive LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display 15.6" Diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Display (1366x768)

Fax/Modem High speed 56k modem

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity

* 802.11b/g WLAN (13)

This may be a long shot, but I had a similar problem once (just the dvd booting only up to one point, don't remember if it was the same as your loading of the mkext though). My problem was my dvd-writer on my desktop which wrote bad dvds, leaving them to get stuck midway in the boot. Maybe thats your problem too? You can try to boot from the DVD on another laptop, and see if its a problem with the laptop or your DVD.

This may be a long shot, but I had a similar problem once (just the dvd booting only up to one point, don't remember if it was the same as your loading of the mkext though). My problem was my dvd-writer on my desktop which wrote bad dvds, leaving them to get stuck midway in the boot. Maybe thats your problem too? You can try to boot from the DVD on another laptop, and see if its a problem with the laptop or your DVD.

well, i tried the discs in my desktop and the install menu loaded up fine, so i dont believe its the disc.

also, i downloaded hazard's 10.6.1-10.6.2 disc and i got the same issue. its almost acting like my desktop does when i try to load up something without an amd kernel.. do you think it's possible that my processor or chipset is incompatable with the kernels on the distros ive tried?

EDIT: i thought maybe it was an issue with the notebook's built-in dvd drive, so i pulled out my usb external and booted from that, same issue. It would be really nice to be able to figure this out, as i am a travelling musician and would love to be able to go back to core audio and logic pro/garageband again. windows is so horrible with anything involving recording and live audio production lol

well, i tried the discs in my desktop and the install menu loaded up fine, so i dont believe its the disc.

also, i downloaded hazard's 10.6.1-10.6.2 disc and i got the same issue. its almost acting like my desktop does when i try to load up something without an amd kernel.. do you think it's possible that my processor or chipset is incompatable with the kernels on the distros ive tried?

EDIT: i thought maybe it was an issue with the notebook's built-in dvd drive, so i pulled out my usb external and booted from that, same issue. It would be really nice to be able to figure this out, as i am a travelling musician and would love to be able to go back to core audio and logic pro/garageband again. windows is so horrible with anything involving recording and live audio production lol

What do you see when booting with -v busratio=20, or -v busratio=16......?