My Powerbook LCD is dead... help please

6 posts in this topic

I have a powerbook g4, 1.5ghz, 512MB, 12 inch, and the backlight does not work, I have to connect my powerbook to a external monitor in order to see it, how I can fix this by myself? any suggestion? Thanks

There are also a few ways you can fix it yourself by replacing a part - I can't remember what the part was called, but just google for fixing an LCD. You might be able to buy a part (I want to say inverter, but that might not be it) that will fix it, depending on the issue. Look for the slashdot article about it - there were a ton of links/suggestions given there.

Just a word of warning. Powerbooks/iBooks and most laptops are very tightly manufactured. I took apart an iBook once at work to canabalize for parts. Let me tell you that there is very little margin for error while doing repairs. So if you comfortable taking apart a laptop mroe power to you, but if you are new to it you may want to consider paying someone else to do it. It will cost more, but still not as much as buying a new machine.

Just a word of warning. Powerbooks/iBooks and most laptops are very tightly manufactured. I took apart an iBook once at work to canabalize for parts. Let me tell you that there is very little margin for error while doing repairs. So if you comfortable taking apart a laptop mroe power to you, but if you are new to it you may want to consider paying someone else to do it. It will cost more, but still not as much as buying a new machine.

I used to work for Apple repairing portables, and the secret...is an ice tray. Put all the screws you take out in an ice tray, starting from the top little bin and working your way down. That way you'll know in what order the screws go back in. You can also find the service manuals online, which will have a detailed take-apart.