Zydas is working on an x86 wireless driver

manifold_family

161 posts in this topic

Just telling my experience with the last update (4_5_4_0). I posted earlier that it needed intervention in order to connect to the AP. I no longer need to double click on the SSID anymore. To recap, these is the only problems so far:

* You still need to unplug the stick if you need to reboot as per ZyDas instructions.

Thanks for all the info here, especially Tek No's detailed OS X instructions. I have a Belkin F5D7050 ver 4000, which uses the Zydas 1211 rev B. I followed all the instructions, and eventually got the WLAN utility to recognize the adapter, then it found some available networks, but at that point, it just keeps saying "Connecting..." indefinitely, never actually connects to any of the available networks, never gets an IP address, nothing. It's like I'm so close, but no cigar. Is this only going to work on an x86 platform? I have a PPC powerbook. thanks.

For anyone having a hard time using the current zydas 1211 drivers/program, I've discovered through trial and error in my setup that I have to broadcast the SSID of my router, it won't work if the SSID is hidden. But WEP works so it is secure (to some extent)

I give up on the Airlink adapter. I can't afford to be that cheap. I'm wasting more time/money trying to make it work. What's a good wireless adapater that will work with both PC and Macs without having to hack or "fix" the thing? Anyone?

alyssa, i am getting the EXACT same thing as you going on with my airlink awll3025. I still can't figure out how to do it... it is just not picking up any networks... its like it does not know that my wireless router is there. I am not using encryption or anything on the router either just make things easy. Anyone help? I am using OS 10.4 and the newest zd1211 driver - 4.5.4

I'm NOT broadcasting my SSID and it's working for me but there are some bizarre things about setting it up and making it work... Here's what is always working for me (while using the latest version of the driver):

- open up the WLAN utility

- default for me is listing "InfraStructure" on channel 1 (not correct as I'm using channel 11)

- click on "Change"

- switch to "AdHoc" (instead of "InfraStructure")

- click on "Apply"

- change the "Channel" to "11"

- click on "Apply"

- switch back to "InfraStructure" mode

- click on "Apply"

- click on "Ok"

- "Connecting"... "Connected"

For one or the other reason the driver is not using the settings as previously used in a previous session (even not when using a "saved" profile and loading this profile)... This was working fine for me in the first Universal Binary release of the driver but something seems to be changed inside the driver...

Take care,

Tek_No

Now the only thing left is to have Wlan run as an invisable service. I have enough icons on the dock :( And according to MacUpdate, there are so much more devices supported by this driver. I'mglad I didn't chunk this stick and buy a 50$ one :(

domino,

any success in running Wlan as an invisible service? or at least minimize the window on startup?

domino,

any success in running Wlan as an invisible service? or at least minimize the window on startup?

sorry, i have not even tried. the last thing i need is something to go wrong when you really need your computer. i'll make an attemp when i have some free time.

sorry for the punctuations, posting on my pda :(

Tek No's instructions- open up the WLAN utility

- default for me is listing "InfraStructure" on channel 1 (not correct as I'm using channel 11)

- click on "Change"

- switch to "AdHoc" (instead of "InfraStructure")

- click on "Apply"

- change the "Channel" to "11"

- click on "Apply"

- switch back to "InfraStructure" mode

- click on "Apply"

- click on "Ok"

- "Connecting"... "Connected"

Woohoo! That's exactly what the problem was. If you just double click on the SSID you want, it goes by default to Channel 1 Infrastructure. You then have to manually change it to the right channel, and to AdHoc, and it will then show Connected, and the signal strength and quality. Thanks guys. :withstupid::wallbash:

• 2 weeks later...

hey

i have an Airlink pci card (awlh4030) and it gets me on the internet but the os dose not see it and the only way i can use it is to start Setup Assistant. In the setup it shows the networks at my house and i can join them but the os dose not see the card or the networks. any ideas on how to fix it?

thx

Download the new driver and install it (see my previous reply in this topic for the location)...

Do NOT restart yet.

First you need to get the ProductID and VendorID as being listed by System Profiler: these values are in HEXadecimal but the driver needs these values in DECimal.

Start Applications - Calculator and switch to "Programmer" mode (View - Programmer):

- switch the calculator to HEX mode

- enter value for Product ID

- switch the calculator to DEC mode

- write down the decimal value for ProductID

- repeat the same steps for VendorID

Patching the driver:

=============

Use Finder to go to /System/Library/Extensions

Locate the "ZD1211Mac.kext" or "ZD1215Mac.kext": you need to select the one you need:

- ZD1211Mac.kext is for the (earlier) "ZD1211" chipset

- ZD1215Mac.kext is for the (later) "ZD1211 Rev. B" chipset

Right click on the kext and "Show Package Contents" - open up "Contents" - Drag the "Info.plist" to your Desktop to make a (writable) copy.

Double-click on the "Info.plist" on your desktop to open it (in TextEdit):

Now locate the lines below <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

You'll see that there are 15 keys:

<key>01</key>

<key>02</key>

<key>15</key>

These keys are for different branches of USB Wifi hardware but of course we only need 1 of these: the one WE are using so delete every key except the first one. This will result in:

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>01</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.ZyDAS.driver.ZD1211RevB</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>com_ZyDAS_driver_ZD1211RevB</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBDevice</string>

<key>IOUserClientClass</key>

<string>EthernetUserClient_ZD1211RevB</string>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>28764</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>1293</integer>

</dict>

</dict>

Now change the "idProduct" key with YOUR decimal Product ID:

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>28764</integer>

Now change the "idVendor" key with YOUR decimal Vendor ID:

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>1293</integer>

Save the changes in TextEdit and quit TextEdit.

Drag the "Info.plist" from your Desktop back to its original place (inside the kext).

When it's asking for Authentication: give proper userid and password.

The driver is now patched to your card IDs...

Clearing the kext cache:

================

Simple way is to use Finder and go to /System/Library

Now delete the files "Extensions.kextcache" and "Extensions.mkext" - Don't worry: these files are being recreated when you reboot Mac Os X

Fixing security of the kexts:

==================

- open up Terminal

- enter commands:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ZD1211Mac.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ZD1211Mac.kext

or

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ZD1215Mac.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ZD1215Mac.kext

depending on the chipset used in your WIFI USB stick

Quit Terminal

Disk Repair Permissions:

================

Good idea is to use Applications - Utilities - Disk Utilities to Repair Disk Permissions

Reboot

The WLAN application (installed by the driver installation) will open up automatically: make the changes to reflect your WIFI setup and continue: you will see that this will explain itself while working with it...

If you'd need assistance after this let me know :)

Take care,

Tek_No

OH MY GOD!!!!!!! You are my man, and you made my day! After almost 1 hour of cracking my head against the wall trying to make this device work, I came across this post and followed your instructions step by step and IT WORKED! THANKS SOOOO MUCH! Just for anyone that want to know, I am using this Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G USB Network Adapter, version 4000, connected to a belking wireless router with a B connection, and running JaS Mac OS X 10.4.7. Thanks again Tek_No! ;)

OH MY GOD!!!!!!! You are my man, and you made my day! After almost 1 hour of cracking my head against the wall trying to make this device work, I came across this post and followed your instructions step by step and IT WORKED! THANKS SOOOO MUCH! Just for anyone that want to know, I am using this Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G USB Network Adapter, version 4000, connected to a belking wireless router with a B connection, and running JaS Mac OS X 10.4.7. Thanks again Tek_No! ;)

Glad I could help :)

cheers..

1.Fix DHCP failed issue when associates to another AP.

2. Add support of RFMD RF for ZD1211chip type.

3. Fix static WEP 256 bit key function.

4. Improve the performance of Ad-hoc mode.

Known issue for Intel-based system:

- After Restart Mac system, the wireless Adapter can NOT work any more.

- After wake up from sleep, the wireless Adapter can NOT work any more.

- The driver is prone to freeze if wireless Adapter can’t associated to an AP successfully in a short time.(i.e. when driver is always scanning before being associated)

I 'm still waiting for the known issue about having to unplug the stick before roboot and shutdown.

Thanks for the notes on the new update.

On a side note, I finally got around to trying this driver with my Hawking Tech [HWU54G] Mini Wireless-G USB Adapter which uses the Zydas 1211 chipset on my hackint0sh and it works great. I just installed the driver and it worked right out of the box...plug & play.

Guest goodtime

Using the 10.4 ZD driver, I got it to work 100% with the Belkin USB2.0 v4000 Stick without any hacks with the driver.

Be sure to add the Network Adapter in the Network preference pane after installing the driver and rebooting.

GT

Running on Compaq X1000. I can finally take OSX86 on the road.

:turbin:

post-22137-1154570288_thumb.png

post-22137-1154570402_thumb.png

just got a zydas chipset usb adapter ("GIGAFAST WF748-CUI" $15.95 @ geeks.com) and i used the 4.5.7.0 drivers from here, and it just worked. i saw the elaborate instructions above, and i checked the plist in the kext and the first key listed already had the right hex->dec values.

and i'm using it to post this, so it has to be working! (i use 128bit wep, btw)

• 2 weeks later...