No hard drive detected in disk utility

Zetsu

28 posts in this topic

Problem:

I have for the past 2 days tried to install iAtkos s3 v2 on my HP dv2-1044ca and yet i have been unsuccessful because disk utility cannot detect my hard drive so i can't format it or even install to it. Yet it will detect external hard drives, but since i don't have a hard drive that isn't full with important data i cannot install to one. i do have the idea that if i am able to do that then maybe i can install it to an external hard drive then access my internal hard drive so i can format the internal hard drive and restore the osx86 disc to it

Methods tried:

Macdrive 8 - to try and format the hard drive to Extended Journaled and copy osx onto it from another computer.

Installing from the disc and from an 8GB sansa fuze ( restored from another osx86 computer).

Looking for a way to change the bios, maybe that is the problem as my bios is extremely limited to options.

Specs:

Product Number

• NM332UA#ABC

Microprocessor

• 1.60 GHz AMD Athlon Neo Processor for Ultrathin Notebooks MV-40

Microprocessor Cache

• 512KB L2 Cache

Memory

• 4096MB DDR2 System Memory (1 Dimm)

Memory Max

• 4096MB

Video Graphics

• ATI Mobility Radeon HD Premium Graphics 3410

Video Memory

• with 512MB dedicated

Hard Drive

• 250GB (5400RPM)

Multimedia Drive

• External LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display

• 12.1” Diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)

Fax/Modem

Network Card

• Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity

• 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN (13)

Sound

• Altec Lansing with SRS Premium Sound

Keyboard

• 92% full sized keyboard

Pointing Device

• Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical scroll Up/Down pad

External Ports

• 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
  • 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
  • 1 Headphone out
  • 1 microphone-in
  • 1 HDMI
  • 1 VGA (15-pin)
  • 1 RJ -45 (LAN)

Dimensions

• 11.50"(L)x 9.45"(D)x 0.93"(min)/ 1.29"(max)

Weight

• 3.81 lbs

Security

• Kensington MicroSaver lock slot
  • Power-on password
  • Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power

• 65W AC Adapter
  • 6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

thank you if you can help in any way

I actually wouldnt know but it's most likely AHCI because it worked fine with my DV2040ca which had sata yet that laptop didnt have sound, wireless didnt work, and the hinges were broken :). I practically gave you all the information i knew with the system specs. everything else is unknown to me. do you know the problem?

I actually wouldnt know but it's most likely AHCI because it worked fine with my DV2040ca which had sata yet that laptop didnt have sound, wireless didnt work, and the hinges were broken :P. I practically gave you all the information i knew with the system specs. everything else is unknown to me. do you know the problem?

Try going into your BIOS, and enabling ACHI, or SATA or IDE support, any of those options will help you. Just look for any of those, with something to toggle about them, is good.

As well, when you boot into the iAtkos S3 DVD, type

?

Then hit enter for a list of commands, look for ones relating to Hard Drives, I'm not exactly sure what's wrong, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Thanks for all the information.

thats the problem though the bios doesnt show any options for that, that's why i said if you know any bios hacks for my laptop that can enable that kind of options please tell me. for the ? option i haven't tried it and i will try and see if it can help out.

msinfo64 didnt work, yet msinfo32 did but i didnt find anything in component>storage>drive about being IDE or SATA, i even tried this on my desktop HP p6241 which also didnt work with msinfo64. they both run windows 7 home premium 64bit.

i still dont have any news about the disc thing by typing in ? and i wont for atleast a day, maybe less.

please if you have any other ideas, do tell me.

also could you give me specific instructions on what to do with ? like what you would like me to do or would you like a picture of the screen showing what appears afterwards.

Sorry i havent been on for a while but i havent yet solved the problem. hopefully i can fix it though :/

Do you have any ideas on what to do?

The ? Command didnt help much. I will search on google for anything helpful in the meanwhile.

Thank you

Sure ill send some pics of the bios ( hopefully you didnt mean from the motherboard since its a laptop) but not now since it 4:09 AM now and i have to be getting to bed.

Ill be sending them in 12 hours or so.

Sure ill send some pics of the bios ( hopefully you didnt mean from the motherboard since its a laptop) but not now since it 4:09 AM now and i have to be getting to bed.

Ill be sending them in 12 hours or so.

xD Night, and thanks.

actually i have an idea. I am going to try and install leopard first ( as a lot of people seem to have installed leopard easily on the dv2-1000 series ) and then I am going to try installing snow leopard over it. think its a good idea?

Yesh.

Success ;) i tried it with iAtkos 7 and it detects the HDD drives, i wouldnt know if it installs correctly or anything tho

ill keep feeding you on more later, sorry on the delay... internet is really slow here.

sorry to put your hopes up but now it shuts down in the blink of an eye when i try to boot up iAtkos 7 1.5.7 after it has been installed. ( something strange too is that i tried booting back on the original mac cd i was trying to use and it still doesnt recognize it. )

i followed the guide here http://myhpmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2128 but for the additional patches ( which are marked red ) i picked all of them but the 9.5.0 Kernel Voodoo ( i think i read somewhere that i was supposed to for the dv2-xxxx ) and i also didnt pick the NTFS-3G because of course my computer isnt a netbook or doesnt have 3G capabilities =P

Thanks man didnt think you would see it today ASAP

=D

sorry to put your hopes up but now it shuts down in the blink of an eye when i try to boot up iAtkos 7 1.5.7 after it has been installed. ( something strange too is that i tried booting back on the original mac cd i was trying to use and it still doesnt recognize it. )

i followed the guide here http://myhpmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2128 but for the additional patches ( which are marked red ) i picked all of them but the 9.5.0 Kernel Voodoo ( i think i read somewhere that i was supposed to for the dv2-xxxx ) and i also didnt pick the NTFS-3G because of course my computer isnt a netbook or doesnt have 3G capabilities =P

Thanks man didnt think you would see it today ASAP

=D

Well, now I actually help you more, because I have a netbook here, with iAtkos V7 on it. It runs nice.

Alrighty, do you mean it restarts when you try to boot, or it just shuts down?

I always find that when I make a partition for Mac OS X even if you aren't dual booting, it helps to format that partition as something like FAT32, because if it's Unallocated space, Mac OS X won't see it.

Try a reinstall, and this time don't select the DSDT option, and play around with both Kernels, if you selected OHR(OpenHaltRestart.kext) then don't select it. If you didn't select it, then select it.

xD My Algebra teacher is alway's like don't guess and check, solve it Algebraically. xD Can't do that here.

BTW! I'm bookmarking this, and I'll check it all the time!

Yes i do watch bleach, i think im somewhere around 170-180. anyway ill try disabling OHM and enabling kernels =P thanks man.

also its a restart not a shutdown :/

Yes i do watch bleach, i think im somewhere around 170-180. anyway ill try disabling OHM and enabling kernels =P thanks man.

also its a restart not a shutdown :/

No prob. xD I'm on like 303. Lemme know how it goes.

da nu nu nu, nu na na nu na (final fantasy battle won!) XD anyway i used 9.5 voodoo kernel and it worked, i also removed OHM so i dont know if that could have cause it.

anyway only thing not working is the graphic's driver and wont shut down correctly ( so i might try OHM again ) so far so good so i might not be upgrading to snow leopard anytime soon.

da nu nu nu, nu na na nu na (final fantasy battle won!) XD anyway i used 9.5 voodoo kernel and it worked, i also removed OHM so i dont know if that could have cause it.

anyway only thing not working is the graphic's driver and wont shut down correctly ( so i might try OHM again ) so far so good so i might not be upgrading to snow leopard anytime soon.

Yea, try the OpenHaltRestart.kext I guess.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1574921

That may help with your graphics card.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=75721

And you're probably gonna kill me for this but...iAtkos S3 doesn't work on AMD..Hazard Snow Leopard does...

xD My Algebra teacher is alway's like don't guess and check, solve it Algebraically. xD Can't do that here.

YES YOU CAN.. it's just that you're doing it wrong here as well.. trying one thing after another instead of working through it systematically is a waste of time & effort. Advising others to do so is misinformation.

YES YOU CAN.. it's just that you're doing it wrong here as well.. trying one thing after another instead of working through it systematically is a waste of time & effort. Advising others to do so is misinformation.

Hagar, I've asked you more than once, to leave me alone, and stop trolling my topics. I'm going to ask again nicely.

Ik that you're an administrator, but I see no reason to interfere here.

Please and Thank you.

hey wait wut, what's going on here? Markrtoon is doing the best he can, actually without him i probably would have gave up! don't ban him or anything, actually the more help, the merrier. I actually kinda agree with Markrtoon when he says: xD My Algebra teacher is always like don't guess and check, solve it Algebraically. xD Can't do that here. because i work that way lol. Trial and error is how i got here in the first place.

Anyway back to the problem. the bootloader doesn't work right so when i have the chameleon bootloader on it only lets me boot to mac and gives me an error, but if i have the windows bootloader on it only lets me boot to windows. I know for one fact that it has to do with the active partition.

Also to Markrtoon i dont really mind that iAtkos s3 wont work, i dont think snow leopard and leopard have much of a difference anyway =P.