SSD Not showing up

eclipse245

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So I got past the "Still waiting for root device" error. However, now, when I go to install. I tried Kalyway, iatkos S3 and iatkos v7.

My SSD Doesn't show, but my 2 other SATA HDDs do show. Any idea how I can fix this?

It's weird, because it doesn't show in DISK UTILITY, but it does show in the System Profiler.

Pics,

Disk Utility:

2B609.jpg

System Profiler (SSD Selected):

cuLny.jpg

System Profiler (SSD Info):

ENgP1.jpg

All I need is for it to show up in my Disk Utility so I can format it and have it appear in the Installation screen to choose which drive to install too, because right now nothing shows up in there.

My system specs:

Mobo: ASUS M4A79XTD Evo

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 965

RAM: G.Skill PC12800 1666Mhz 4GB

GPU: BFG GTX 275 896MB

SSD: G.Skill Phoenix Pro 60GB

HELP! Would upgrading SSD firmware be helpful at all?

Thank you to everyone who helps, in advance :(

Hello Hangten,

Thanks for that.

I was just wondering. What exactly should I do with the Hiren's boot CD. That second link you gave me for pages 1-9, simply list the tools of the Hiren's boot CD.

Which tools would you recommend me to use and for what purpose?

Also, regarding the RMA. The drive is brand new, as in fact, this drive IS my RMA :( I had a faulty drive before this that wasn't even recognized in BIOS. So this one works fine for a fact.

Also, do you think it would be possible for me to install it on an IDE harddrive, and then copy everything over to my SSD and boot from it. Or will that not work as well?

I'm going to try resetting the BIOS. Does flashing the BIOS with new Driver reset it? Or do I have to pull the CMOS out for a bit to reset it?

Also, everyone feel free to hop in and help. Would like to get OSX running soon. Been trying for the past 2 weeks, haha.

k well I burned Hiren's with PowerISO.

Going to go into MiniXP and format the drive. Should I format it as NTFS? Or just make it Unallocated Space?

Okay.

So I booted into Hiren's BootCD. And used the "Checkdisk" tool. Which apparently fixed a few filesystem errors. I don't think that'll help though since the drive will have to be formatted anyways.

So basically, HD Tune worked; however the other Harddrive programs didn't see the drives, or atleast didn't list them.

Dang. I honestly don't know what else to do? Reset BIOS?

Hangten. The drive works fine. It's working fine in Windows 7. It just isn't appearing in the Disk Utility.

But it shows up, because it's recognized in the "System Profiler". The SSD works fine, just doesn't show up mate.

I mean. I guess my last bet, is to install OSX on a partition, and then clone the SSD with the partition i installed OSX on?

i don't know what else have you tried but it it looks you have lots of free space on your SATA HDDs, you might want to try to disconnect your SSD, make a partition on one of them SATA HDDs (not the one with win7 because it won't boot win7 again) and install OSX, once you have it running then attach your SSD and start working on getting it recognized under it, also try connecting it externally (once you're running your x86 OSX)...

Since the disk is recognized as disk0 (/dev/disk0) you could try using the

diskutil tool and try format the SSD and prepare it for install from the command line. open up the terminal and type

diskutil list

see if it lists as disk0

if it does, it's a good sign (it should anyway).

then type this (all has to be done as root, so either from install cd or an existing mac system with sudo)

diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ diskname disk0

This should format your SSD disk to HFS+ filesystem.

While the GUI Disk Utility fails, this could still work, as it already has worked for some people.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress!

• 2 years later...

Since the disk is recognized as disk0 (/dev/disk0) you could try using the

diskutil tool and try format the SSD and prepare it for install from the command line. open up the terminal and type

diskutil list

see if it lists as disk0

if it does, it's a good sign (it should anyway).

then type this (all has to be done as root, so either from install cd or an existing mac system with sudo)

diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ diskname disk0

This should format your SSD disk to HFS+ filesystem.

While the GUI Disk Utility fails, this could still work, as it already has worked for some people.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress!

New user, first pc - hackintosh build.

I'm trying to utilize applications & guides from tonymacx86.com on a custom built pc. (attempting Lion with thumb drive)

I find that these guides are pretty vague, or let me rephrase that (I'm not that computer savvy)

I get to the Apple welcome select a language. And, access the system profile, disk utility .. etc..

Issue is that in BIOS (f14) sees 128 gb Sandisk SSD extreme.

When I get to the disk utility it doesn't see my SSD, also in terminal it doesn't list the SSD. Just the USB and 11 other disks not more than 1mb.

My part build is very similar to http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/70530-slugnets-video-editor-ga-z77x-ud5h-i7-3770k-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-660-ti.html.

All help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

New user, first pc - hackintosh build.

I'm trying to utilize applications & guides from tonymacx86.com on a custom built pc. (attempting Lion with thumb drive)

I find that these guides are pretty vague, or let me rephrase that (I'm not that computer savvy)

I get to the Apple welcome select a language. And, access the system profile, disk utility .. etc..

Issue is that in BIOS (f14) sees 128 gb Sandisk SSD extreme.

When I get to the disk utility it doesn't see my SSD, also in terminal it doesn't list the SSD. Just the USB and 11 other disks not more than 1mb.

My part build is very similar to http://www.tonymacx8...tx-660-ti.html.

All help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Found via a google search that the SSD needed a Fimware update. now I see the SSD in Disk Utility. Partitioned the drive and restart.

Machine reboots to Chimera option of Usb & Lion. I choose Lion and the screen flickers white and machine reboots. I tried a variety of -(options)

and unique boot parameters but no change. Still searching for solution, frustrating being my own iT - but learning a lot at the same time.

• 2 years later...

2007 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

I had a similar problem when replacing an SSD recently - an New SSD (Patriot Pyro SASA III 120 GB) to replace an SSD of the same make and model that I installed easily 20 months earlier to upgrade the old HD? Not sure why it failed, but Patriot Customer Service (excellent !) replaced the SSD immediately.

I carefully placed the new SSD in the bracket, attached the cable, buttoned up the machine, went to Disk Utility on the start up CD........and No SSD. Repeated a couple of times thinking that I had loosened a connection or cable. Same Result.

Neither the Disk Uitility nor the Time Machine Restore would recognize the SSD when installed internally. The disk profiler, however, could see it. (See photo)

Searched forums, knowledge bases - verified the SSD functionality on a Windows Machine ('XHUSB' - External Housing USB Connection) It worked.

Used the XHUSB to format the disk, replaced it in the internal slot - Same result invisible to Disk Utility/Time Machine Restore. Checked the cables, the connections, ( verifying by replacing the SSD with an old HD ( it worked! ) Decided to disassemble / reassemble one more painstaking time - I must not have been careful enough.....?

Same result - failure to see the drive. ( The definition of insanity ....doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.)

Final attempt. Placed the old HD in the Internal carriage, reassembled MacBook, connected the Time Machine External Drive to USB1 and connected the Patriot SSD ( XHUSB ) to USB2; Ran Time Machine Restore - 2.5 hours later, the SSD was a restored drive, well at least I could data mine through the USB........

I carefully disassembled everything, super carefully reinstalled the SSD in the internal slot, closed up the MacBook and hit the Start-up button.

It worked! The Machine is as good ( and much faster than ) new........

I hope this helps someone!