QPI/VTT Voltage stuck

Girlsrockmovie

4 posts in this topic

In playing with my voltages in bios to get the best stable speed, I adjusted the QPI/VTT voltage to 1.515 on recommendation of a manual on overclocking i7 chips. Things were running a little hot, and so I wanted to bring voltages and everything down a bit, but it seems the QPI/VTT is stuck and won't change. It's a violet color, while all the other settings are yellow. Any idea how to unstick it?

The machine is actually running pretty well at 3.15 GHZ, occasionally on reboot it'll knock the overclock off and I'll have to re-set it. It's also running normally with CPUs at 55 degrees-ish and going up to 70 degrees max when compressor's going full bore and using all the cores. Does that seem like a safe temperature? Should I leave well enough alone?

Arne

Oops, forgot to mention it's a p55 u2 motherboard running an i7 at 2.85 before overclock.

In playing with my voltages in bios to get the best stable speed, I adjusted the QPI/VTT voltage to 1.515 on recommendation of a manual on overclocking i7 chips. Things were running a little hot, and so I wanted to bring voltages and everything down a bit, but it seems the QPI/VTT is stuck and won't change. It's a violet color, while all the other settings are yellow. Any idea how to unstick it?

The machine is actually running pretty well at 3.15 GHZ, occasionally on reboot it'll knock the overclock off and I'll have to re-set it. It's also running normally with CPUs at 55 degrees-ish and going up to 70 degrees max when compressor's going full bore and using all the cores. Does that seem like a safe temperature? Should I leave well enough alone?

Arne

Oops, forgot to mention it's a p55 u2 motherboard running an i7 at 2.85 before overclock.

You need better cooling 55C at idle is not good the 70 under load is alright, to reset the voltages try the load failsafe or optimized defaults however they are named in your BIOS say then reboot and check that they changes stuck then try your over clock again. Now if those temperatures are in degrees F then you are doing great otherwise better cooling/make sure that the power saving is enabled in the BIOS I include a guide below on over clocking you may want to check it out..

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/int...7-buyers-guide/

You need better cooling 55C at idle is not good the 70 under load is alright, to reset the voltages try the load failsafe or optimized defaults however they are named in your BIOS say then reboot and check that they changes stuck then try your over clock again. Now if those temperatures are in degrees F then you are doing great otherwise better cooling/make sure that the power saving is enabled in the BIOS I include a guide below on over clocking you may want to check it out..

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/int...7-buyers-guide/

Thank you so much! I'll peruse your guide ASAP. I'm nervous about loading failsafe or optimized as last time it took a fair amount of fiddling to get my OS to load again, but I think I've got a better grasp on things now. I'm new to all this stuff, just had to learn because someone sold us a box and then it stopped working and they disappeared and I had to learn so we could get back to rendering.

Is the danger of that heat a long term problem with the chips? Because it's running pretty stable in the short term. I'm just wondering if I wait until we're done with the current project before fiddling around, if things will be ok. We haven't had any crashes in a couple weeks that I know of.

Thanks again,

Arne

Thank you so much! I'll peruse your guide ASAP. I'm nervous about loading failsafe or optimized as last time it took a fair amount of fiddling to get my OS to load again, but I think I've got a better grasp on things now. I'm new to all this stuff, just had to learn because someone sold us a box and then it stopped working and they disappeared and I had to learn so we could get back to rendering.

Really the only things that need to be changed are your drive controller set to AHCI, the HPET to 64bit if you want 64bit boot and the NX bit set to enabled if I recall it correctly. Plus you want to make sure the IntelThermal, EIST and Cstates are enabled for the power saving features to work thus allowing the chip to run cooler when not under load.

Is the danger of that heat a long term problem with the chips? Because it's running pretty stable in the short term. I'm just wondering if I wait until we're done with the current project before fiddling around, if things will be ok. We haven't had any crashes in a couple weeks that I know of.

Thanks again,

Arne

As long as you have the IntelThermal enabled then the board/chip itself should detect too high a temperature and start issuing the halt states to cool down the chip but even with this protection it is never a good thing to have high temperatures especially at idle. You can get away with it for a while but long term it is not good you may want to consider making a signature listing all the hardware in your machine so people know what make/models of the hardware is involved.